Author Topic: BAHA Implant  (Read 3161 times)

BrandyT

BAHA Implant
« on: October 05, 2007, 12:16:59 pm »
I had the BAHA surgery on Tues the 25th of Sept :) on the 26th of Sept I was walking around time square with my husband! It is not bad at all and I think it is going to be a huge help to me. I can softly touch the area around the surgical site and "hear" the scratchy noise of my fingers in my hair. I am very excited. Just wanted to say something positive.  Having an AN sucks, and the pain and trauma are bad, but it does get better each day. I am two years from surgery, long haul but it really does get easier. Good luck everyone!

Pembo

Re: BAHA Implant
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 04:36:54 pm »
Brandy, I was very excited after my implant surgery when I "heard" the scratching and also the hair dryer. Things do get better....just very slowly........
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Richey

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 08:35:33 pm »
Will you let me know how much the baha helps when you get the transmitter in use.

I tried the demo devise and could not tell much from it and decided to go with a bi-cross aid but I've always wondered if the baha would be better.

Rich

lori67

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 03:04:30 pm »
I'm in the process of scheduling surgery for my BAHA implant.  Can anyone tell me how bad the scar/incision  looks right after the surgery?  I've read that they put a waterproof bandage over the area.  I'm wondering because I have to go to a dressy dinner at the beginning of December.  I'm self conscious enough about my eye not closing and my droopy mouth - I'd rather not have to walk around with a bolt sticking out of my head or a giant bandage.  I know, there are more important things to worry about than how I look - but this will be my first time at a real social function since my surgery and I'd like to feel normal.  Thanks!
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

lxg57

• "it's always Happy Hour in my head!"
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 06:49:24 pm »
Hi, Lori-  I had BAHA surgery 3 days ago.  I was really worried about how my hair would look too (work in management and wanted to be sure I'd look professional).  You may want to go see your hairdresser about the best way to cut your hair to cover the BAHA.  I had mine layered long on top (it's really thick) so that it would cover the anticipated site.   Even so, I'm going to have another cut after my first postop visit tomorrow because, while the top layer covers things up pretty well, a good bunch of my hair had to be shaved off during surgery so I'm not looking too even!

One thing you might think about though when looking at timing is that you've got to keep the foam dressing dry after surgery until you have your first postop appointment.  There are some very good suggestions about how to be able to wash your hair but still keep the dressing dry on the BAHA support website's Top Ten Tips but it's not too easy.  I'll be able to wash my hair tomorrow before seeing the Dr. but then have to keep the dressing dry another 5-7 days.  Since I'm an every day washer, I'm not feeling too great at all about this but I'll discuss it with my doctor some more tomorrow for any other suggestions.  You'll want to keep things like this in mind so you can feel and look your best for that party!  (Maybe wait until the New Year?)
Linda

2.3 cm right sided AN,  removed by retro sigmoid apporach by Kevin Walter and John Wayman at URMC(Strong Hospital) on 2/21/07.  8th cranial nerve lost, Right single sided deafness.

Pembo

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 10:36:35 am »
I had to wear the bandage for only 2 days post op and just at night after that.  My doc hardly cut any hair and it wasn't noticable at all. I have shoulder length hair. My stylist has been incredible in finding the right cut to hide my baha. I had surgery on Friday and by Monday I was out in the world and no one was any the wiser.

My biggest problem was getting all the goo out of my hair. I had to use neosporin on the implant site all the time. That combined with all the stuff they put around the site at the time of surgery I had a heck of time getting my hair to not look greasy. I finally ended up using Dawn dishwashing detergent and the grease began to go away.  I was able to get the incision wet in about a week or so. I remember having my husband outside the shower holding a cup over the incision site while I washed my hair. It wasn't easy but it worked.

Talk to your doc about how much hair he shaves and how long you'll need to wear the bandage.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

lori67

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 04:16:17 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions!  I had my surgery yesterday and the bandage isn't as bad as I anticipated.  The doctor told me where he'd have to shave and I reminded him to be kind!  I did have my hairdresser keep things longer in that area - I have been anyway to cover up from the initial surgery.

I am able to get the dressing wet though, so I guess they used a different kind.  It has iodine and vaseline imbedded on the wound side with a layer of cotton balls soaked in mineral oil and another layer of gauze on top.  It's not taped on like normal bandages, it's actually stitched in.  He told me I could wash it when I got home from the surgery if I wanted.  I just wanted to sleep though, so it waited until today.  I think I'll try the dishwashing detergent tomorrow - yuk there's a lot of goo in my hair!  I too am an every day shampoo-er, so if he was going to tell me not to wash my hair for two weeks - he may as well have shaved my whole head!

Thanks for your input!  I appreciate it!  Now comes the countdown until I get the processor!  Should be around Christmas time - that'll be a nice present!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.