Author Topic: trouble recalling information/expressing thoughts?  (Read 11963 times)

kippy6

Re: trouble recalling information/expressing thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 08:25:40 pm »
I turned 40 not too long ago. I got my hair colored last week, and when I got home, I was thinking of all the steps she goes through to color my hair, and I couldn't remember if she washed my hair. This has been bothering me for a week now. I want to call her up and ask her if she washed my hair. But there is NO WAY I'm calling her. How embarrasing! She dried my hair w/a dryer, but I don't remember her actually washing it. It's lilke I skipped that part of the day...was I asleep or something? I don't remember being in the chair in front of the sink, and I don't remember laying back having her put my head in the sink. This has always been pretty uncomfortable for my neck, so I can't believe I can't remember this. Strange. I just draw a complete blank when I try to remember it. I'm wondering if this is an example of Alzheimer's??  I just want to know if I can correct it at all. It is frustrating.

When I was first told that I was losing my hearing, I was put on steroids, b/c apparently, if you find out soon enough, and start treatment right away, the steroids can reverse the damage (of course that was before they knew I had a brain tumor). I'm just wondering if there is something I should be doing now to prevent my memory from getting worse...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 09:23:00 pm by kippy6 »
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 12:57:27 pm »
I'm glad to hear that I'm not going crazy. I have the same problem. I'm 29 years old & have a 1.4 cm AN on my right side. I have an appt. coming up with the Cyberknife Center near me. I have trouble remembering things. I really have to think about it to remember sometimes. Also when I speak the words dont come out right. Strange!!!
Thanks for all the comments it really helps.
Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

candtlaw

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 01:41:46 pm »
Hi YOU!  I made it  ;D

This is still such a disturbing thing to me. I hate not being able to think of a really simple word to express what I am trying to say especially when I am trying to discipline the kids! uggggggg As I look back on the last few years I used to totally lose concentration in the middle of meetings with clients and feel like a total idiot not making any sense......  Gosh I hope this gets better as the tumor continues to die.
Cyndi
post CK for AN 1cm 04/30/07

Loving my life today :)

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 02:09:07 pm »
YEAH YOU MADE IT!!!!!
Isnt this website great!!!!
Hey question did you have your 6month MRI????
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2007, 04:28:25 pm »
I'm almost three years post and I'm a "dee dee dee"!  I too have the same troubles as everyone here.  It's not all the time as before, so makes it difficult for hubby to relax and "trust" what's coming out of my mouth. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2007, 07:35:42 pm »
I totally understand.....CANT YOU HEAR THE WORDS THAT ARE COMING OUT OF MY MOUTH?????....YEAH BUT I DONT UNDERSTAND THEM SOMETIMES....LOL!
argggggggggg.....IT CAN BE SO FRUSTRATING. I'm thinking of one thing but something totally different comes out...like jiberish.....well us AN'er understand right?

candtlaw

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 08:24:53 am »
My 6month is scheduled for Jan..... I did the 2month in July and then 6mos from July. I was told it showed such a good response it could wait til then....  :)
Cyndi
post CK for AN 1cm 04/30/07

Loving my life today :)

firewalker

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 01:02:21 pm »
Well, I'm pre-treatment and have problems with this as well. The other day I couldn't remember how to get to my dentist. I've been going to the same one for over twelve years and really know how where I'm going, but for some reason, I got extremely confused and took at least three different routes to get there. I was so frantic and confused because THIS IS A SIMPLE THING! I'm glad I finally made it and even on time for the most part. I'll be talking about a football game and refer to a touchdown as a homerun . . . sorta thing. This had only been this bad for the last 3 months-sure hope it gets better after my surgery. Sorry to know I'm not alone with this but grateful to hear that it can improve over time. Please keep us posted.

~Firewalker
2.8cm right ear AN diagnosed on 10/10/07. Translab surgery on 1/30/08 with Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Schwartz at House Clinic, CA. Two tiny tumor scrapes were left to preserve facial nerve. SSD, Lagopthlamos with temporary facial nerve paralysis and some Trigeminal Neuralgia. Am improving every day.

whity4d

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007, 01:48:49 pm »
My wife Susan had her surgery 04/19/06. and has alot of the same problems. She went threw alot of speach theropy to help her learn to stay on subject. Unfortunatly she ahad a stroke in surgery so its hard to tell what is from the an and whats from the stroke.
We just try to work together to retrain the brain. they say we only use about 10% so we figure we need to get the other 90% working. It has improved over time. We started buy having her repeate 3 words that i said after waiting 10 seconds and slowly added words and time. Though she has no gate keeper now and she always tells you what she is thinking( you just have to get used to the truth) her immediate memory processing and intermediate memory have improved dramatically. If you keep the right attitude about the situation and accept that this is the way it is. Its not to hard to deal with. My wife worries that she may say the wrong thing or talk to long and upset our friends. I told her that if  they our truly our friend they will understand that is just how your wired now and if the don't then we will just get some new friends. Bottom line its alot of work but you can train the brain to to what it used to do. Just give it time to heal and get to training  it.

Dan   

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2007, 03:18:41 pm »
I too had a stoke  .. we just have the re-learn everything! (maybe I will do it better this time  8) )
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

rjbarker

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 09:25:35 am »
Thanks for your post about memory, which generated a lot of interesting comment.

I wonder, has anyone with memory problems had a PET scan? This would indicate which parts of the brain are being affected.

Jeff

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007, 10:37:03 am »
I had a stroke too among other complications. And I have found that my short-term memory isn't what it used to be. I can remember things from before my surgery but have some difficulties remembering newer things. I have, however, come a long way. At one point, I could neither tell my wife the name of our president nor tell her who d*** Cheney is. I have found that I need to use my Blackberry to keep track of the things that I need to do. I also make many more lists than I used to, So, I muddle along and slowly - very painfully slowly, get better.
Best wishes to all,
Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

lori67

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007, 11:07:17 am »
All I can say is "Hooray for Post-it Notes!!".   ;D
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007, 01:04:53 pm »
Ok I am going to throw a monkey wrench in here.

I am curious as to how many posties who responded here… so here goes

“Who here actually does not get  7 hours of consecutive sleep through the night?â€?

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

lori67

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2007, 01:08:30 pm »
I haven't had 7 consecutive hours in over 5 years.  Unless you count my 9 hour surgery.  Slept like a baby then.

I'd say I'm lucky to get 2-3 hours in a row without waking up.  No wonder I'm tired. :P
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.