Author Topic: Here's the BAST**D in all it's glory ......  (Read 3252 times)

Denisex2boys

Here's the BAST**D in all it's glory ......
« on: September 27, 2007, 11:23:05 am »
I will add about my appointment later - this was done without contrast - Dr. said by brainstem is starting to get 'knicked' by this .........

- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Denisex2boys

Re: Here's the BAST**D in all it's glory ......
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 12:50:18 pm »
THE APPOINTMENT ....

Ok - - the appointment - - - - my husband and I went together - HUGE HUGE hospital in London, ON - when we got there they were transporting someone via helicopter - VERY impressive place!

I had another audiogram and I have between 30 and 40% hearing LEFT in my left ear, so no real change there.

Dr. Parnes (who is the head of Otolaryngology, Professor, Department of Clinical Neurological Sciences) - WHOA! came in and introduced himself - he confirmed the acoustic neuroma and told me there were 3 options - 'wait and see', 'Gamma Knife Radiation', 'Microsurgery'. He also said that they are ALWAYS 99.9% benign tumors - I asked him how they knew that - and he said they just are ......... He basically told us that surgery was the only option I should look at ......

He would not recommend the less invasive Gamma Knife since I was still a "young woman of 43" - he told me that radiation may come back to 'haunt me' years later - that it could aggravate it making it become nasty and more aggressive - he did say that if I wanted I could research that option - but in my mind I already knew I wanted the 'thing' out .........  He said he would not leery of 'wait and watch' at this point - as the size is beyond the perimeter of the auditory canal and is now just 'knicking' the brain stem (that is why I am starting to have some 'loopy moments) - he said micro-surgery was my best option - and specifically the .... Retrosigmoid / suboccipital - which I am sure you fellow AN'rs already know all about .......  He said I still do have 'usable' hearing, albiet distorted - but that it was worth saving!

http://www.anarchive.org/approaches.htm

Needless to say we walked out of there feeling rather numb - I did not consent to surgery just yet ....... he explained that it is a huge decision ..... that I still have some time to research things but that I should not leave it idle.

I still cannot believe all of this is happening ........  a year ago I had nothing - and since Dec. '06 - sudden severe hearing loss, numbness, tingling & pressure, tinitus (in waves).

Dr. Parnes actually emailed me with some concerns I had - I was most impressed that a man of his stat. would email me back - I will be schedulied for another MRI probably this Dec. and in the interim he will be setting up an appointment for me with the Neurosurgeon who will be heading up the procedure.

.... and to top it off ..... my husband was feeling really sick last week - nausea, dizzy, sweats .... I thought it was the flu - I called the Dr. for him (he really IS sick if he consents to seeing a Dr.) - and his flippin blood pressure was through the roof - so now he is on meds and needs to get all sorts of tests - - ARGH! When it rains it pours........

I do appreciate all the support, advice and friendship I am receiving here.

NOW I need some personal perspective of the Retrosigmoid / suboccipital approach - especially post-op ....
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!