Author Topic: Update on Joey Richards  (Read 9682 times)

deea

Update on Joey Richards
« on: September 26, 2007, 10:04:52 pm »
Hello to all on this forum. 

Earilier this evening I was pleased to receive a call from Joey.  I had contacted him in Texas yesterday.  I want you all to know that he was over-whelmed by the kindness and concern expressed by the people here.  He thanks you for your thoughts and prayers.  The surgery is scheduled for 7:30 in the morning and is expected to last 12 plus hours.

Please keep him and his family and friends in youir prayers tomorrow and during his recovery.  I will post again when I hear from his brother.  Joey will join us when he is recovered enough to type...I have a feeling it won't be too long!

Good night...I will be in touch later tomorrow.
Claudia
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 11:56:29 pm by deea »

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: update from Joey Richards
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 05:58:39 am »
Claudia, thank you for this update and for your contact to him (and his family). I, also, like many here, sent him a note of support and glad he knows that the "crew" is in his corner, cheering him on.  Will look for the updates and glad to know that he is aware of all those here that support him.  Please send him wishes for a speedy recovery and glad to have him aboard as a "postie" (post-treatment).

Sending prayers of wellness to him.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

deea

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 03:42:58 pm »
Still waiting  to hear from Joey's brother.  I left a message asking him to call when they hear something.  I don't want to be a pesk but am really anxious to know how things are going.

I will post when he calls.

Claaudia

susier

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 06:48:35 pm »
Thanks Claudia,
  I have been thinking of him all day today.  Funny how you can care so much about someone you've never met.  I live very close to his hometown in Texas and have made copies of his newspaper article to distribute to friends and family so they can try to understand my condition a little better, although his is on a much bigger scale than mine.  Makes me really thankful I found mine so early.  My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.  Hope you hear something soon.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 08:02:41 am »
Claudia,

thank you for the update and sitting tight, waiting for the update... this is very truly appreciated.  Hoping all went well and thrilled to have him as a "postie" (post-treatment).....hoping he's feeling our healing energy!

Thanks again,
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 09:30:51 am »
 Ahem, ahem, mi-mi-mi-mi.......

a lil sea shanty.......

Pirate Sox  for Joey
and Raise a Toastie,
Because by now,
He'll be a Postie!

:-* :-* :-*

Capt Deb 8)

"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 11:40:00 am »
great job, Capt'n  :-*  Hoping for Joey updates soon....
Phyl

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 06:49:57 pm »
SEPTEMBER
28    09:56 AM in Newspaper people
Sports writer Richards recovering nicely
By Heber Taylor | Permalink | Add Comments
Joey Richards, a longtime sports writer for The Daily News, is doing well after undergoing surgery to remove a tumor from his brain.

The surgery was long — from 9:15 a.m. Thursday to about 1 a.m. Friday — but appeared to be successful.

Joey is at St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital at the Medical Center in Houston. Many readers have asked for reports on his condition.
 PS.  This appeared in todays Galveston Daily News
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

susier

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 07:32:26 pm »
Thanks for the update Brenda.  Glad to hear the surgery was a success.

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 07:51:33 pm »
wow....great to hear an update.  I am 3 weeks post-op as of 1am Friday....so I am fresh off the experience of a long surgery and I can imagine what he is going through.  I can only hope he has the same womderful ICU and hospital experience that I had.  My thoughts are with him and his family and friends.

Adrian
Age 35/ 4cm AN right side, Transpetrosal aproach, 9/6/07
Dr. Loren Bartels - Otolaryngology & partner Dr. Christopher Danner
Dr. Harry van Loveren - Neurosurgeon & partner Dr. Levine
Dr. David Samuels - Anesthesiologist
Tampa General Hopital, Tampa FL
These guys re-assembled Humpty Dumpty!

deea

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 11:54:01 pm »
Dear BrendaLu,

Thank you so much for the update. I have tried a couple of times today but had no answer on Joey's phone,  I guess the long surg explains it all.  He had said that the doctors had expected at least 12 hours.  I am so glad all went well.  It is scarey.  We would like to just put from our minds the fact that at times there are complications.   Please contintue to keep him and his family in your prayers.  He will need them in the weeks to come. 

I did not know Joey Richards, had never even heard of him, did not like, or know anything about sports, but unforturnately, I do know a little about acoustic neuroma's.  One human reaching out to another, sharing fears and hopes.  Offering prayers for a good outcome and continued rapid and unevenful recovery.   This is my hope and prayer for Joey.  May he and his family find peace and calm as we reach out to them though our prayers.

Get well soon my friend. 

Claudia
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 01:43:33 pm by deea »

satman

Re: Update on Joey Richards
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2007, 07:52:58 am »
Ditto Deea,your post is most heart felt .
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2007, 08:37:08 am »
I am sure that the Galveston Daily News will keep us updated and I will post the updates as they appear.  I've read Joey's columns as long as I've lived in d***inson.  We have a new stadium. Plus Andre Ware was from our high school so as with all of Texas we are kind of football gungho.  He did have a really long surgery and I am anxiuos to hear who his team was.  He wrote me a note to find out who mine was.
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

MStout

• Be kind to everyone
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 11:47:36 am »
Hi!

I had AN surgery in 2005 for a gigantic tumor, and just found this forum because of Joey Richards.  He is in my thoughts and prayers.  I will continue to read here for updates on his condition.  As far as I know, he is the first person to have an AN larger than mine.  I don't know if he got my message on Tuesday, but I wanted to let him know that I am thinking of him and this IS survivable!   :)

Martha
Martha

Obita

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 08:23:03 pm »
Hi Martha & welcome to the forum!!  How are you doing? 

I have been checking in for updates on Joey too.  Hopefully, he will be on himself very soon.

Thanks Claudia and Brenda for investigating! 

Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines