Author Topic: Small celebration?  (Read 4786 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Small celebration?
« on: September 23, 2007, 10:30:17 am »
4 ½ weeks post surgery. This morning I was noticing very subtle changes in my face as I had my head to the pillow and I was holding a hand mirror. Never did I know how excited I would get to start seeing some wrinkles appear and bags (to match the other eye) on my facial palsy side.

I lay in bed and opened and closed the palsy eye (however blinking is not there yet ) but of course once I got up (and walked around) the open/closure action in the palsy side stopped … but hey it was "a sign� that it can function and was not just “the palsy roll� of the eye.

This morning I notice that my mouth was less droopy on the palsy side and decided to brave using a straw (which I have not been able to do since surgery) and I sipped my ENTIRE glass of Carnation instant breakfast through the straw. I think I am almost there now- to start puckering up and blow kisses. (Smirk tease)

The non AN folks say “oh that is nice� but some how I think my AN family , on the forum, might want to have a little celebration party with me here.

Cheers,

:)
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

TP

Re: Small celebration?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 06:03:36 pm »
I am so happy for you! Celebrate as much as you can. Small goals eventually turn into big ones! It takes time but it will slowly turn around. My philosphy has been be as positive as you can and you find many blessings. The bad things seem to go away quicker when you look for the positive things in your healing process.

I also had an AN the size of yours on my left side. It is 15 months post op for me and I have a slight smile. Lately my nerves around my left nostril quever. I grab my husbands finger so he can feel it and he says it feels like a little bunny nose. So my goal is that those nerves are doing something and hopefully will pull my smile up a lttle more.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Obita

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 07:00:47 pm »
We all understand 4cm and TP!!  YIPPEE!!

'Tis time to celebrate, it is.  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Desilu

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 07:07:43 pm »
Hi 4cm,

Great to hear that things are starting to move again! Just take one day at a time. Each day is a blessing and we have to be thankful for it. TP is right, keep a postive attitude. I pray that you have continued healing and make a full recovery.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 07:09:33 pm »
4 cm here too ..

(I would go to DQ (Dairy Queen) so I could practice straw use ...  :o

Practice makes perfect right !  ;)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 11:14:12 am »
I didn't even have facial paralysis - just numbness - and still had to use a straw for months! Not any more......

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

satman

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 12:16:32 pm »
ALRIGHT ! A reason  to drink some beers today.
congrats ! Thats  awesome.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 12:58:50 pm »
4cm:

Indeed, this is a cause for celebration....and doesn't time get away from us?  It seems as if it were only yesterday that you were weighing your options regarding surgery, surgeons and facilities.  Now, you're over a month past the surgery and recovering apace.  Wow! 

Your observation that folks personally unacquainted with the post-operative demons of AN surgery are nonchalant about your progress is as poignant as it is common, based on posts I've read here.  However, most of us having had a somewhat similar experience, we can both relate to and appreciate your optimism.  May the healing continue - and may you soon reach full recovery.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jeanlea

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 02:59:00 pm »
4 cm, yes it's time to party!  Each little step along the way is a reason to celebrate.  The people that don't really understand these small changes haven't had to live with not blinking or smiling so they can't truly understand.  But we do!  I wish you continued movement.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 02:42:13 pm »
Hi 4,

I understand your excitement.  I will be 3 weeks post-op this Thursday and I can’t move the right side of my face a bit.  I imagine my excitement when I will see a wrinkle or the smallest resemblance there of.  Congratulations!  My favorite saying…..and you have to say it with an Italian accent with a strong roll of the R…..…….ROMA NOT A BUILT IN ONE’A DAY!

Adrian
Age 35/ 4cm AN right side, Transpetrosal aproach, 9/6/07
Dr. Loren Bartels - Otolaryngology & partner Dr. Christopher Danner
Dr. Harry van Loveren - Neurosurgeon & partner Dr. Levine
Dr. David Samuels - Anesthesiologist
Tampa General Hopital, Tampa FL
These guys re-assembled Humpty Dumpty!

lori78

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 04:10:46 pm »
YAY Adrian!!!!   :)
Lori, Left AN,  2 translab surgeries and GK radiation, 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm, Dr. Singh Sahni and Drs Fred and Wayne Schia, Chippenham Johnston-Willis, Richmond, VA. Deaf in left, temp paralysis post surg 1/07

lori78

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 04:12:00 pm »
And yay 4, of course!!!!!!!!!!!!   ;)
Lori, Left AN,  2 translab surgeries and GK radiation, 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm, Dr. Singh Sahni and Drs Fred and Wayne Schia, Chippenham Johnston-Willis, Richmond, VA. Deaf in left, temp paralysis post surg 1/07

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 08:08:00 am »
I think I need to re-clarify.  I cannot move the right side of my face.  I can imagine the joy I will have when I will be able to, even just a little.  I congratulate 4 in having movement, even if it is just slight.  Baby steps to a full recovery.  Keep us all posted on your progress, 4.

Adrian
Age 35/ 4cm AN right side, Transpetrosal aproach, 9/6/07
Dr. Loren Bartels - Otolaryngology & partner Dr. Christopher Danner
Dr. Harry van Loveren - Neurosurgeon & partner Dr. Levine
Dr. David Samuels - Anesthesiologist
Tampa General Hopital, Tampa FL
These guys re-assembled Humpty Dumpty!

1wareagle

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 02:59:47 pm »
      I think you are progressing great! I didn't see any movements for 8 mts. Now at 9 mts it's still getting better, but I'm still not able to blink.  At the rate you are going you should be able to blink your eye by 8 mts.

Hang in there,
Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)