Author Topic: Four Days Till Surgery  (Read 82115 times)

Kathleen_Mc

Re: Four Days Till Surgery
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2005, 06:44:17 pm »
To all those going through the anxiety of the "last days/hours" before surgery:
I can totally relate to the anxiety you are feeling at this time, I have come through this twice now  the first time I didn't expect to live to get off the table and the second I was seconded guessing my decision to have brain surgery in a "voluntary" type capacity (didn't have to be done at this time physically but want it done psychologically)......you will be o.k., you will cope with what you must once you are on the other side, our imagination can make things much worse than they may end up to be and although we may not be physically the same we are going to be some of the strongest people in terms of dealing with stress the world has to offer. (I laugh at what some people consider stress now).
You are in my thoughts, Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2005, 09:27:40 pm »
Just a little note to say I have had Linda and Jake on my mind all day. Hoping they are both doing great. I think its wonderful that we all have an "extended" family of sorts here. I feel the connection everytime I come here.
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

cookiesecond

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2005, 09:42:19 pm »
Jake and Linda are in my thoughts and prayers, sure hope we hear something soon!!!

Lynn

BostonJake

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2005, 05:39:26 pm »
Hi,
Well I'm home.  Feeling exhausted, surgery took nearly 14 hours....willll write more as soon as i'm not druggeeed up too much to type.

Jake
3.2" AN Removed at Mass General Hospital, 10/18/05
Proton Therapy at MGH summer of 2006
No news really...

becknell

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2005, 05:46:16 pm »
SOOOOOO glad to hear from you, Jake. When I saw that you were on the board again, I couldn't click fast enough to find out what you had to say......You've been in my thoughts and prayers quite a bit, and it's hard to wait for news of someone else's surgery.....I know everyone else on this board identifies with that whole "waiting" thing...Thought about you and Linda a lot on Tuesday, your survery day. Praying for a speedy and totally UNEVENTUFUL recovery for you. :) Jennifer

jw

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2005, 07:02:48 pm »
Hi,
Well I'm home.  Feeling exhausted, surgery took nearly 14 hours....willll write more as soon as i'm not druggeeed up too much to type.

Jake

Wow!  Great to hear from you, Jake!!  Good to know that you're home and recovering.  ;D

Make sure you get lots of rest, and let us know the details when you feel better!  I hope that everything went well, you have few 'side effects', and you continue to recover quickly!

Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2005, 08:57:44 pm »
WooooooHoooooooooo Jake. So relieved to see you back here. Get lots of rest and let us know how you are when you feel up to it. You will stay in my thoughts as you continue to recover.
Now hopefully we will all hear from Linda soon. Loves to you both. :)
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

JHager

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2005, 09:39:57 pm »
Jake,

Welcome back!  Wow - 14 hours - you're the man!  Glad to hear from you.  Take your time, rest, feel better, then let us know how you feel. 

Wishing you Dunkin Donuts and Pizzeria Uno thoughts, my Boston friend.

Take care!

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

cookiesecond

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2005, 11:26:07 pm »
Jake,
SO glad to hear from you!!!! You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Praying for a speedy recovery.
Take care,
Lynn

BostonJake

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2005, 06:18:10 am »
Thanks Gang,
I'm doing alright, it was a bit scary there for a bit.  Have some great friends and grilfriend and family.   Had to have a filter intstalled cause of blood clots....more on that later.  Glad to be out of the hospital, not a big fan of hospitals in general but I have to tell ya, the doctors, nurses and staff were excellent.  Will write more later today....
thanks for your thoughts, its was really comfortng to know.

Jake
3.2" AN Removed at Mass General Hospital, 10/18/05
Proton Therapy at MGH summer of 2006
No news really...

JHager

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2005, 07:44:09 am »
Geez, Jake -

You're already typing well.  This puts a lot of pressure on me with my upcoming surgery and recovery.  ;D

I can only assume it's the donuts...

You 'sound' great - thanks for keeping us posted.  You're in our thoughts and prayers!

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

linda l

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2005, 07:18:28 pm »
Hi Jake and everyone

So glad Jake to hear you are home and doing OK.  We're done thank God.  My doctor,after discussing it in detail with my hubby and me changed my surgery to posterior fossa to make sure my facial nerve was protected.  We oringinally had middle fossa scheduled.  So, surgery on Tuesday was about 6 hours, facial nerve is perfect but so far no hearing.  My doc beleived he saved my hearing and says time will tell.  That evening was horrible, I have problems w/nausea and anesthesia and I was soooo sick.  The bext 2 dqys were marginally better.  Came home Friday and today took a walk outside twice around our court so things are looking better.  Really didn't eat for 5 days , what a diet plan.  Am eating small amounts now, not much pain, I just have the dizziness issue to work thru.  So glad its over, overall from a medical perspective it went well, so thats great.  Thanks to all of you who thought about both myself and Jake during our big day, it is moving and amazing how many caring people are out there.  My husband has been an incredible rock and a pretty good nurse!!
Thx again, Linda

jw

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2005, 07:23:59 pm »
LINDA!!!  It's really, really great to hear from you.  I'm happy to know that you're home, safe & sound.  I hope that the next few days continue to progress equally as well.  Just take it one day at a time.  Since your hubby is a really good nurse, don't be afraid to play it up a bit!!  :D

I hope that your hearing does come back.  It sounds positive, and from what I've read, the nerves can get bruised and really messed up during the surgery and recovery, so quite often they aren't working very well.  If that's the case, once it settles down you should get some hearing back!  Keep us posted when you're able to, and make sure that you get lots of rest!

And JAKE, hope that things are going well for you, too.  We're thinking of the both of you during your recovery and wish you all the best!
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

cookiesecond

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2005, 08:03:55 pm »
Linda,
It is so good to hear from you.I pray you are on your way to a speedy recovery.Take care of yourself and keep us posted.
Lynn

PS you deserve to play it up a little(thank goodness for husbands that are good nurses)

matti

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2005, 08:42:42 pm »
Well you've made my night!!! Yipee!!!! So glad you are both home and on the road to recovery. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Linda - My hubby was also a wonderful nurse, I could not have gotten through this without him.

Keep us posted.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50