Author Topic: Four Days Till Surgery  (Read 82159 times)

BostonJake

Four Days Till Surgery
« on: October 14, 2005, 09:29:20 am »
Hi guys,
Well, I've been diagnosed with a large AN for a few months and am having surgery (suboccipital) on tuesday.  I have great doctors and am confident in t he procedure and have been accepting about the whole situation.  However, that sense of accepting calm is starting to wane into anxiety.  I'm getting scared about how all this is going too play out.  I mean really scared.  I have no symptoms except for some mild hearing loss in my right ear, and from what I hear, after surgery it's symptom city!  So I'm scared.  Dont want to tell my girlfriend how scared I am cause she's nervous enough.  I have some great friends and alot of support, I'm just worried that I'm missing something I should get done before surgery.  Any advice?  Anyone out there have any advice on what to do leading up to surgery.  I just feel like the clock is now ticking.  This seemed so far away back in June!  I can't belive it's here. ???
3.2" AN Removed at Mass General Hospital, 10/18/05
Proton Therapy at MGH summer of 2006
No news really...

becknell

Re: Four Days Till Surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 10:02:49 am »
Hi, Jake. It's pretty normal to start feeling a lot of anxiety right before surgery. I'm not an AN patient, but my husband is. He had a 3.5 cm An removed on Aug. 22. And he is doing great now! No complications. Went back to work 4 weeks after surgery and feels good. His only symptoms were some hearing loss, too. It's not a given that you're going to have a lot of problems or symptoms after surgery, so try to be calm and confident, think positive. You know you have a good surgical team, so great! You might think that based on the postings here, everyone has lots of problems post surgery, but that's not necessarily the case. People who don't have problems just go on and live their lives and don't post, so you don't know about them. We are involved in a support group in our area, and a lot of people with that group did well after surgery, too. LIfe DOES go on after the surgery. My spouse and I both had anxiety before the surgery, and it's hard to deal with that. There's not much you can "do" other than try to be positive and take care of yourself. Talk to someone if that helps, or seek counseling if you don't want to burder your loved ones with your worries. We both found that WAITING for the surgery was actually harder than AFTER the surgery!! Once it was over, we felt so much relief — like a huge weight had been taken from us. So hang in there and keep your chin up. :)

JHager

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 12:47:27 pm »
Hey Jake,

I'm in the same boat, just a little farther back: my surgery is November 7.  Now that it's quickly approaching, I find myself a little more nervous as well.  Becknell, thanks for the encouragement!

Now, I'd like to point out a few nice things about your recovery: Pizzaria Uno and Dunkin' Donuts.  ;D

My wife and brother both went to  college in Boston, and I loved going to visit - it's the best city around.  Now that I live in Vegas, I'm in Uno and Dunkin Donuts withdrawl - big time!  The closest Dunkin Donuts we have is in Phoenix, and the one Pizzaria Uno closed.  Depressing.

Seriously, I'm hoping everything goes smoothly for you, and you're better soon.  Hang in there, and keep us posted!

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

BostonJake

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 01:44:13 pm »
Thanks Guys, I guess I'll just stay busy!

Wow, no uno's or dunkies in vegas, I am so sorry!

Jake
No news really...

Bernadette

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 02:12:22 pm »
I had surgery Sept 19th, I know exactly how you feel, keep busy.The day before my surgery we had so many visitors my husband ended up barbequeing for everyone. Now everyone  has been such a great help to  my family and me.Everday is a better day toward recovery. I had the Middle Fossa, and after they went in my tumor  had grown another cm in 2 months time it was almost 3 cm. Best wishes for a speedy recovery....Bernadette

judystas

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 03:42:41 pm »
Hi to all
I feel your same anxiety.  My surgery is not until Nov. 10th but it's all I think about except when I am really busy and things seem somewhat normal and then I remember and I can't believe it's all happening.  I have a 2.5 cm AN left ear, only symptom, mild hearing loss and almost constant tinnitus.  Have a great doctor here in Chicago who has done 950 of them and I found 2 people who had theirs done by him.  Makes me feel a lot better - they are both doing well but still can't wait for it to be over and to wake up and get on with my life.  I wish you the best with your surgery.  We DO have Dunkin Donuts and the ORIGINAL Pizzeria Uno here in Chicago so I will take that advice!

sdinapoli

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 05:33:13 pm »
I am 18 mos. post op and feel great. That tumor and surgery is an old memory. As the weeks and months go by your body will adjust and recover. Almost every morning I have Dunkin' Donuts coffee and can't live without. Maybe I'll send you a few bags  ;) Best wishes to all on your surgeries and keep us posted!

cookiesecond

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 05:37:27 pm »
Hi Jake,
I know exactly how you feel. When I first set the date for surgery it seemed far away but it got here really fast.I tried to tie up loose ends and keep busy.The unknown is always scary and each an patient has their own journey. I had surgery 8-2-05 and I am doing good. I agree with Becknell that most an patients recover and resume their lives without posting their good reports.Feeling confidant about your surgical team is great.Take a deep breath,think positive,let your family and friends take care of you and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.We pray for peace for you,guidance for your doctors and a speedy recovery.
Take care and God bless,
Lynn

Josh and judy we're praying for you Too!!!

JHager

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 07:46:32 pm »
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the good stories.  I've found that people often share more difficult/problematic experiences than good ones, although AN folks seem more balanced.  If you read travel reviews, though, you'd get the impression you should never travel anywhere!   ;)

I'm looking forward to a smooth surgery and recovery.  Although I'm convinced Unos and Dunkin Donuts would only help... oh well.

Jake - keep the faith, and keep us posted.

Judy - we'll share stories as soon as we can.

Thanks again!

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

linda l

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 08:30:22 pm »
Hey Jake
My surgery is Tuesday also, when I saw your post, I thought 4 days!  Thats soon!  I'm still fighting off a cold, I need all 4 of those days.  Having middle fossa surgery at Kaiser, Redwood City, CA.
Linda

matti

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 09:33:01 pm »
Josh - I was just in Vegas (my first time) and they have soooo many wonderful restraunts. Now that I think about it, I did not see any donut places. It was way hot and crowded and I left some money there as well. Last year my son turned 21 and went to Vegas, the highlight of his birthday was shooting machine guns, tommy guns, etc... at some place on the strip. I was not allowed to go. Boys!!!!!!!!!

Linda, Jake, Judy and Josh - I know how you feel, I kept myself so busy the days before my surgery and tried to be strong for everyone else, but that anxious feeling was certainly there.  For me the worst part was the days before, relief and calm set in right after surgery and I looked forward to my recovery. I am 7 years post op and doing GREAT!

Please know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers and let us know how you are doing.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

David707

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 10:49:46 pm »
Hi, Everybody,

This is a very positive post that I don't often see in this forum.  Not only supporting each other and sahring the experience, it seems that showing some connection with others is also important here.  OK, I also went to graduate school in the great Boston area and do miss Dunkin Donut which I can not find in Houston now.  I did visit Chicago many times but have not had the original Pizzeria Uno yet.  As for Vegas, ....

Be serious, I do agree that people tend to overlook the importance to share their "successful" stories in this forum.   I just want you to know that I had a very successful surgery to remove the 2.5 cm AN on my left side.  Other than loosing my left side hearing ( a given in my case) and a few minor/temporary symptoms, I have been doing great since the surgery in Jan'05.  Back to work full time after 4 weeks.

Among all the good things in my case, I am most grateful to the peace in my heart even before the surgery.  You will be in my prayer and I wish you all have the same kind of peace as I had.  God bless you.

David
2.5cm / Jan'05 / 53 yr
Dr. Vrabec & Dr. Trask / Houston
Excellent outcome and peaceful mind
Praise the lord !

BostonJake

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 08:13:14 pm »
Wow,
Thanks you all for your kind words, after the hectic day I've just had, it was nice to sit here on my couch with my laptop and read your heartwarming thoughts.  Thank you.

Linda- You and I have surgery the same day, keep in touch, I'm sure all will be well.

I am a little bummed about a few things.

1) I feel fine.  Slight hearing loss in my right ear.  But other than that, no symptoms whatsoever!  So it's kinda a bummer to go into the hospital feeling just fine and not knowing what you'll come out like.  Like I said in my first posting, I know I have a great team, and supportive friends, so I'm going into this in good shape. 

2) I've never spent a night in a hospital before.  In fact, I really hate hospitals.  I dunno, my mom was sick a lot when I was a kid and I think it's left me a little uneasy about the medical world.  I don't like things that beep, needles, pain, and my biggest fear....a CATHADER!  I have no desire to have a straw placed up my Capatain Winky.  That just can't be a pleasent feeling!  So the bottom line....I just dont like hospitals.  I wish this was all over with....

two days to go.  Gotta be at the hospital at 5:30am on Tuesday.

Thanks everyone,

Jake
No news really...

BostonJake

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 08:17:03 pm »
Oh, and I just thought of one more thing thats buggin me!  I really like hearing in stereo.  I'll miss that so much.

Jake
No news really...

linda l

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2005, 06:51:28 pm »
Jake

I feel pretty much the same way you do...I have a very slight hearing loss and feeling of fullness; but I would rather get it out and over iwth and be able to move on.  You have a good doctor, as I do, and they will do the job!! Think positive.  Hey and don't worry about the catheter, you'll be asleep!  The removing thing is quick.  The thing I worry most about is the nausea, tomorrow I go in for pre op and am going to make sure they give me anti nausea drugs as soon as i wake up.   I go in at 6am Tuesday, these docs like to work early!
Good luck and let me know how you do.
Linda