Author Topic: Four Days Till Surgery  (Read 82123 times)

Battyp

Re: Four Days Till Surgery
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2006, 08:40:01 pm »
Sending warm thoughts your way Kat!
My tumor was about the same size as yours and I was told retro which had a greater chance of preserving facial nerve and hearing.

Well hopefully you saw in a post I did I went from no hearing so a teeny tiny bit of hearing that had I of gone translab I would have lost completely...

Please post in as soon as you're able to let us know how things went!

katmumof3

« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2006, 04:28:27 pm »
good morning peoples!   I am now 10 days post-op, and doing great ;D
My surgeons did a fantastic job, and i was very very relieved to learn, that out of all those post op symptoms, i did not get one!
I lost my balance nerves (to be expected, hehe)   The real shocker for me was my hearing test, 80% usable hearing!!!!!!!!!  WOOHOO.  Needless to say i am doing better than i ever hoped i would, and i've got a great support team looking after me :)
I'll try and come on again in a few days and let you know how i'm going.  Take care guys  HUGS
2.5cm AN removed 26/4/06 retrosigmoid
awaiting follow up MRI

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2006, 05:14:37 pm »
Kat...that is so cool!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!  You sound great!!!!!  Keep up the good work, it's inspiring to those of us awaiting surgery!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2006, 09:39:32 pm »
Way to go Kat.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

katmumof3

« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2006, 03:55:11 pm »
 ;D ty ty, although i really can't take all the credit, my team of surgeons did all the work, hehe. They did a great job! yay for great surgeons.  I'm still doing great here, apart from the imbalance and the big cut into my head, you'd never know i'd had major surgery, lol.  How are you guys holding up?
awaiting follow up MRI

Battyp

« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2006, 06:06:13 pm »
Yeah Kat..glad things went so well for you! 

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2006, 12:15:51 pm »
OH, Kat! Terrific news! I'm doing the happy dance for you and can't wait for further updates!!!  Welcome to the wonderful world of being a "Postie!" :)

YAY Kat!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

katmumof3

« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2006, 06:06:15 pm »
hi guys! :)  I'm 4 weeks post now and doing great!  I'm getting stronger and more energetic every day.  I have 2 of my 3 boys back at home now and am able to keep up with everything, woohoo!  Hopefully another week and i can have my 15 month old back home, i miss him soo much!  The balance is coming along very well, still can't turn around fast, but i'll get there, hehe.  I even did some spring cleaning, it's amazing how much 'crap' you can accumulate over a year. ;D
Hope you guys are doing well, keep your chins up!

Kat
awaiting follow up MRI

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2006, 10:32:55 pm »
Hi Kat!   So good to hear!!!!!!  I'm so glad that things are going well for you!!!  So is time flying these 4 weeks, or has it gone slowly?  I'm kinda wondering how I'll feel about time 4 weeks out.  I don't remember, were they able to get all the tumor out? 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2006, 11:35:21 pm »
Thats great news Kat

hey, if ya want some more practice at cleaning, you can come over to my place. And i tell ya what, I won't charge you anything for the training! ;D

laz
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW

katmumof3

« Reply #115 on: May 30, 2006, 04:55:15 am »
gennysmum  time has gone by really slowly, every day is a new adventure, and they're pretty sure they got all of the tumor out, will have to wait till the 18 month follow up MRI to know for sure :)  I can't wait 'till my head stops itching and i can sleep on that area again, hopefully won't be too long :)

Gees thanks larry, more housework, just what i need   ::) hahaha.  I'll make you a deal, i'll do your housework for you, and you can look after my 3 young very energetic boys.... seems like a good deal from this end, hehehe ;)
awaiting follow up MRI

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #116 on: May 30, 2006, 05:28:08 am »
Kat,

Now listen here ya cheeky young lass - I've had my turn at looking after youngens. Deal is off!!!!

Laz
Chronologer of the PBW

joe94121

« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2006, 01:21:51 pm »
Hi, Jake:

How was your surgery? I am going to have it in early December 2006 and am in the process of getting my affairs in order. Do you have any side affects?

Like you, it was out of the blue ... the only thing i experienced was hearing loss and nothing else for the past five years .... now it is 3" cm and growing ...

I wish there is more of an educational process out there to get medical professionals and lay people to order MRIs instead of dismissing it as allergeris clogging the ear canal ...
Five years of progressive loss of hearing in left ear; diagnosed with a 3 cm. AN tumor; had surgery on in 12/06 to remove 2/3 of it. Recent MRI shows "bulkness" on the remaining 1/3 ... will be seeking radiation treatments on the remaining 1/3 in May 2009.

Obita

« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2006, 06:07:53 pm »
Hi joe94121:

The same thing happened to me.  I was treated for fluid behind the eardrum.  Thanks to my orthopedic surgeon suggesting I get to the bottom of the ear thing before hip surgery, my PCP referred me to a ENT ASAP.  The ENT looked in my ear, said no fluid and he then gave me a hearing test.  The results were bad so the MRI was ordered. 

That was two years ago last March.  I am deaf in the left but just fine.

I sent an email to a reporter at one of the local stations in the Mpls./St. Paul area asking if she would consider doing a news story on AN awareness.  She said she was very interested but would have to run it by her peers etc.....and that she would get back to me in a few weeks.  It really scares me knowing how many people are out there with small ANs and symptoms that are dismissed by their doctors.  Hell, most PCP's don't even know about these tumors.  Mine didn't.

Good luck to you Joe.  If you have any questions you can email me anytime.  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Laura

« Reply #119 on: September 20, 2006, 02:31:47 pm »
Obita and Joe94121 - I'm in the same boat. I was treated for fluid in my ear/allergies for years!!!! I just changed my PCP and made sure my new one KNEW what an AN was and what all was involved with my treatment as I'm watching/waiting.
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind