Author Topic: Hearing Issues  (Read 3330 times)

TT

• Tenor Sax in stero; nothing better
Hearing Issues
« on: September 18, 2007, 12:55:38 pm »
I'm 13 months post-op and doing very well. No one can look at me and see any difference. Although my balance isn't as sharp as it once was it has steadily improved. My main issue is the lack of hearing in the AN ear. My doctor did not cut the hearing nerve, but I lost 95% hearing which makes me deaf in that ear. I've learned to live with it, but it's difficult as everyone knows. I know I'm  blessed that this is my main issue. I'm scheduled for the first follow up MRI in December which obviously has me very nervous . At the same time, I'm scheduled for another hearing test. Since I have a tiny bit of hearing left in the AN ear, I'd like to think that there is a hearing device on the market that could help me. My doctor kind of down plays hearing devices which confuses me. I want to hear sound from that ear in the worst way. I miss so many conversations when I'm out in public, it sickens me.
When I do go back in December, I'd like to be somewhat educated when I ask questions so I'm looking for advice.
I've been away from this site for several months, I apologize if my question has been asked before.
The postive thing is how succesful my recovery has been. There is NOTHING I can't do that I did before surgery with the exception of holding normal conversations in a loud room full of people.

TT
2 cm AN - right side
Diagnosed 6/22/06
Retro. procedure performed on 8/24/06 / SSD
Dr. Peter Smith & Dr. Robt. Backer
St. Johns Hospital - St. Louis, Missouri

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Hearing Issues
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 01:52:24 pm »
TT -

your post op story could be mine.  Although I had surgery after you (5/31/07), the results are basically the same - only difference is I am totally deaf in my left (AN) ear.  I'm not sure what all your "hearing options" are, but I am looking into a BAHA.  In fact, I'm going for a demo tomorrow.  I'm hoping it will solve my frustrations with missed conversations, etc.

My doc has done numerous BAHA surgeries and he thinks it would be a good choice for me if that's what I decide.

I know there are other options out there also like a cros aide and TransEar.  I'd ask your doc what might work best for you.

Good luck,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Richey

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 02:15:14 pm »
Hey TT,

I had GK and my  hearing is gone for any useful purpose on that side. I opted for a bi-cross aid and it does help. I also looked into baha but the demos were less than impressive to me. My ear doctor say that the baha would work for me but if I am doing ok with the hearing aids then that may be what I need to stick with.

You need to understand with those options as well as transear you are still going to get all your hearing on one side. You will hear more and it will help greatly with missing sound on your deaf side but you will still have trouble in noisy places and of course there is no directional help. Since your hearing nerve is damaged I doubt that something like a cochuler implant (not sure about the spelling) would work and you're talking about major money if you can get the insurance to cover and the same goes for baha too.

I would recommend you give a cross or transear a try as long as whoever you use will let you have a free trail period. I tried the transear too and got nothing of use with it and it was very uncomfortable. I have done more reading since then and have learned that it takes more time and work to get those right. my audio guy had never fitted one before so if you think about trying one find someone who has a good level of experience with transear.

Raven

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 06:00:56 am »
TT,

I'm in a different situation then you, but one thing is similar and that is I have just a tiny bit of hearing left in my left ear, I would say I've lost about 95%.  I'm bilateral and hearing preservation of any kind for me is the top priority. I'm going with the middle fossa approach on the left side to hopefully preserve what's left of the hearing nerve. If successful we can do a cochlear implant, as a matter of fact my Dr. has done a few implants while removing the ANs. As far as the right side is concerned, I have lost some hearing but it is still serviceable, we need to see what the outcome of the left side before attacking the right side. Surgery for the left side will be in early October.

Hope this helps,

John
7/10/07 hearing gone in left ear overnight
7/25/07 diagnosed with bilateral acoustic neuromas - aka NF2
11/7/07 left side tumor removal via middle fossa - 12 hrs.
11/15/07 right side decompression via middle fossa - 8 hrs.
Dr. Eisenman - University of Maryland Medical Center

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 06:10:38 am »
TT -

just came from a BAHA demo yesterday, and I was highly impressed by the sound it produced.  I know that others have chosen TransEar or a cros aide, but for me it's going to be the BAHA.  I thought it made a huge difference in my ability to hear. 

From my understanding Cochlears are for people who are totally deaf - BAHAs are for those of us with SSD; same concept, different circumstances.

The doctor's office is checking on my insurance coverage, and I'm hopeful the majority of the cost will be paid for.  My insurance company has covered Cochlears in the past and the BAHA is covered by Medicare.  Although I have no Medicare coverage yet (too young), I'm hoping my insurance company will look to Medicare as an example and follow suit.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

TT

• Tenor Sax in stero; nothing better
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 11:24:34 am »
Thank you Jan, John and Richey. I will do some research on what you've written and then see what the doctor has to say.

Good luck John; I'm sure everything will work out ok.

Thanks again,
Terry
2 cm AN - right side
Diagnosed 6/22/06
Retro. procedure performed on 8/24/06 / SSD
Dr. Peter Smith & Dr. Robt. Backer
St. Johns Hospital - St. Louis, Missouri