Author Topic: You won't believe this!!  (Read 6368 times)

sloxana

You won't believe this!!
« on: September 13, 2007, 09:08:01 am »
Yesterday I had a balance test done at a local hospital because of the vertigo I have been having lately.  It was done by a audiologist with a Phd and you won't believe what she told me!  She said, as she handed me the written results of my test, that radiation is NEVER an option for ANs no matter what the size.  (Mine is 1.5 cm) She said radiation would damage critical areas of the brain so the doctors NEVER use it!!!!  As my husband and I sat there dumbfounded by this unbelievable news she proceded to tell me that surgery was my ONLY option and I should get it done ASAP!  My husband and I tried to tell her (in the nicest way possible) that she wasn't correct but I'm sorry to say, I don't think she believed us!  She said she had never heard of radiation being used to treat ANs and in fact her own hospital did not do radiation!!!! :o

Wow!  This news was upsetting on many levels.  I have seen many doctors in an effort to decide what treatment to use for my AN.  In fact, the last doctor I saw was a radiaion oncologist at the hospital where this audiologist worrks who said he treats many patients with ANs with radiation (and treats them very successfully, too!).  Wonder if he knows there is someone in his very own hospital that is telling people that he doesn't exist!  :o

Also, if she told me this information you can be sure she has told other patients this, too!!!  How terrible to think that someone is giving out such misleading information to people.

I just had to tell you guys this.  I just couldn't believe it!
Take care,
Susan
1.9 cm AN
Diagnosed Jul 9 2007
Surgery will be 9/14/10 with Dr. Haynes and Dr. Thompson at Vanderbilt

Patch

Re: You won't believe this!!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 09:26:43 am »
ITS VERY SAD TO SAY, THAT SOME PEOPLE DO NOT NEED TO BE IN A MEDICAL POSITION. SHE MAY HAVE PUT MANY PEOPLE'S HEALTH IN DANGER FOR THOSE THAT COULD OF USE RADIATION AS A FORM OF TREATMENT. I'M NOT SAYING SURGERY IS BAD, BUT SOME CAN BENIFIT FROM RADIATION. I'M GLAD YOU STOOD UP AND CORRECTED HER.

MARK
Radiation 7/07 for 17mm AN, Had my 2 year MRI 07/09, An now 13mm.

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 09:46:29 am »
OMG
I think you should write a letter to the hospital administrator relating what you were told, a friendly, informational letter.  At least we could then hope that no one else would be told obvious untruths.  I can understand doctors having different opinions, but to totally limit all other options ....
Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 10:25:58 am »
Well quit wondering if your radiation oncologist knows about this person and actually tell him! In person on the phone!
I'd be raising holy heck if I were you!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 11:42:40 am »
WOW!!   :o      Pretty scary, it's a good thing that you're an informed patient!
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

sloxana

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 12:35:45 pm »
Hey Capt Deb and Dana

Yes, You better believe I'm going to tell my radiation oncologist what she said!!!  AND write a letter.  I still can't believe she said what she did.  If my husband hadnt been with me I would have thought I dreamed the whole thing!!

Susan
1.9 cm AN
Diagnosed Jul 9 2007
Surgery will be 9/14/10 with Dr. Haynes and Dr. Thompson at Vanderbilt

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 03:08:49 pm »
Hi, Susan:

Well, that's a new one!  If this happened to me I'm not sure if I would be amused or angry.  An audiologist, with a PhD., no less, working in a hospital, demonstrating her total ignorance regarding treatment options for acoustic neuroma tumors....to a patient.  Good thing you were informed and knew she was talking out of her...er, nose.   

Write the letters.  Be polite but clear that this audiologist with a PhD. is disseminating false and possible harmful information of a medical nature.  She is grossly misinforming AN patients because she is misinformed, herself.  Of course she should know better, but she obviously doesn't.  Help her to get straightened out by her superiors, because anyone with a PhD working in a medical capacity is never going to accept correction from a mere (informed) patient.  Only someone with a medical degree and the status to demand her attention can help this woman and correct her ridiculous misinformation that she merrily passes on, probably with an air of great authority, to patients already under stress and trying to sort through the shock of being diagnosed with an Acoustic Neuroma tumor in their head.

Bravo to you for at least trying to cut through her ignorance.

Jim  
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Richey

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 05:18:03 pm »
I wonder what her PHD is in. It could be sports information or something. This just underscores the fact that people always need to seek several opinions from different medical doctors. You were already informed but others may not be. Do what you need to do to correct this and let us know what kinds of responses you get. I have always found that it's difficult to get doctors to say much about other doctors but you shall see.

Windsong

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 08:12:18 pm »
Hi Susan,

Hope you have sent off that letter or better yet made a call to your doctor's office (the one doing the radiation) to let them know this is what you experienced. I know that they would want to know about this most unusual  info given by an audiologist in their hospital.
Good thing you had already seen your doc there and had discussions about your treatment plan.
In any case, this is not a good thing if someone in any hospital is giving out that kind of advice... and your doctors there would want to know about this, I am sure.

All the best,
windsong

marg

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 08:27:53 pm »
Hi Susan,
     Wow, I can't believe this person.    But a PHD is not always a MEDICAL degree......  and I agree with Jim
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

marg

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 08:32:43 pm »
Hi Susan,
     Wow, I can't believe this person.    But a PhD is not always a MEDICAL degree......  and I agree with Jim :
Help her to get straightened out by her superiors, because anyone with a PhD working in a medical capacity is never going to accept correction from a mere (informed) patient. 
Also, I couldn't help but remember what my husband told me once..... PhD  often stands for .... Piled higher and Deeper !  Sounds like this might be the case here.
      Margaret
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 08:36:25 pm by marg »
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 09:47:29 pm »
I agree with everyone else.  Someone at the hospital, in a position of authority, needs to be told about this.  It's scary that someone working in a medical setting - regardless of what her PhD is in - is giving out wrong information.  In addition to reporting this to someone who can address the problem with her, I'd also send her some literature from the ANA so she can read up on things before she gives out the wrong information again.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mark

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 09:56:13 pm »
The lady is obviously a medical quack and should be consulting with patients, simply said

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Mark

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 09:58:24 pm »
Sorry, was typing too fast on the last one

The lady is obviously a medical quack and should NOT be consulting with patients, simply said

is what I intended to say :o

mark

CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

kat

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 04:44:13 am »
HI Sloxana

What planet is this person on !!!! How irresponsible of her to make such a sweeping statement about a subject that she obviously
knows nothing about ! 

Regards Kat
2.2 cm AN diagnosed July 2004 . GK at  the Royal Hallamshire
Sheffield UK in April 2005 2nd MRI in December 06 showed signs of the AN shrinking and MRI in FEB 08 showed no change . SO FAR SO GOOD .