Author Topic: foggy headed  (Read 10016 times)

goinbatty

foggy headed
« on: September 09, 2007, 12:46:46 pm »
So far, I've only had minor balance issues mainly when walking in the dark or when tired.  Not enough to bother me.  But yesterday I did a lot of yard work in the heat of the day.  Today I feel foggy headed like after a few glasses of wine or something.  I've had plenty of fluids so I doubt it's dehydration.  Just checking to see if this a common occurrence with ANs.  Guess I'll just use it as an excuse to be lazy today.
Thanks
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

susier

Re: foggy headed
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 06:47:31 pm »
That feeling is what drove me to one doctor after another trying to find out what was wrong with me.  It has lasted for almost three months now, but is getting better.  My docs say that is have something to do with the tumor being attached to the balance nerve, but that after time it should get better.  he says sometimes it takes several months for the brain to compensate.  Now I have good days and bad days.... more good than bad now, so I guess I'm adjusting.  I know its a horrible feeling and very hard to explain to people.  To me it feels like I went out and really tied one on!  It does get worse when I'm really tired or stressed, so you're yard work in the heat could have alot to do with it.  Hang in there!!!!!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 11:43:29 am »
Hi

I get this foggy feeling since I've had my GK.  It comes and goes.  The other day I told my aunt that I was feeling out of it.  It is so hard to explain, but yes..sort of "out of phase" (that's from Star Trek, when Capt. Kirk was caught up in a place where he was slightly out of phase with the normal world, and was sort of floating around until they figured out how to get him back - shows how old I am!! ;D)  Weird, isn't it?  Just kinda like we could just float away like a big Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade float.  I'm thinking you'll know what I mean. :D

Hang in there and on those days tether yourself to something!!

Understandingly,

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

aardvark

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 05:32:18 pm »
Yep.  Thick-headed....inebriated....out-of-kilter....wobbly....woozy....my vestibular symptoms aren't debilitating, just really annoying.  (Don't we all wish feeling drunk was as much fun as other people seem to think it should be?)   

I'm 2 years post-CK.  I don't think my balance has improved much, per se, but I'm lots better at anticipating situations that could be problematic.  I hold handrails now.  Try to be aware of the path my feet are following through the house.  Wear a hat or sunglasses outside so that my pupils don't constrict quite as much in the sun - allows for more visual input to keep me upright.

Most of the time I'm not so conscious of the disequilibrium anymore unless I'm tired or stressed, when I know I have to exercise more caution with stairs, dim lighting, and that bane of my existence - filing cabinet corners.

(Now, tinnitus and brainwreck - that's a tale for a whole 'nother post, lol!)

aa

1.5cm X 1.0cm Left Side AN  Dx 8/05
CK at Stanford 9/05   Drs. Chang & Gibbs

goinbatty

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 08:41:17 pm »
Thanks for all your comments.  At least now I know I'm not nutty....in that regard anyhow.  I crashed yesterday for the most part and feel better today but still not normal.  Still leaning toward CK and with the increasing symptoms over the past few months, guess I'll pursue that sooner than I anticipated.  Just waiting for my insurances changes to go into effect next month.  I wish I could have taken care of this as in yesterday....
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

Denisex2boys

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 10:44:08 am »
AWE ....... you don't know what a relief this is to hear that I am not the only one experiencing this ........  this week is especially bad as I also have a cold :(  do you also find that you at times are 'tongue-tied' - I hate that the most ...... I know what I want to say but it sometimes comes out wrong.

I am taking a B-complex vitamin and Omega 3-6-9 - which seems to help with the 'brain-fog' ....
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

aardvark

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 04:29:42 pm »
Tongue-tied, yes.  Not all the time, but when I'm escalating into that verbal playing field where I really need the big guns - my words fail me.  (some family members apparently deem this a blessing  ;) )

Does anybody else find themselves stammering when they're overwrought?  I never did that before either.  I mollify myself by declaring that my brain is too busy keeping me vertical to play charades.  Like everything else about this adventure, it is what it is.

aa
1.5cm X 1.0cm Left Side AN  Dx 8/05
CK at Stanford 9/05   Drs. Chang & Gibbs

BGWBT

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 08:15:03 pm »
I am sooooo glad it's not just me gettin' old.   ;D  My concentration is awful as I'm so easily distracted.  On my good days I feel thick headed and slow.  I'm contemplating surgery.  Does your concentration/sharpness come back?
1.5 cm diagnosed 10/2007
Waiting and watching and researching options

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 09:32:04 pm »
BGWBT

My ADHD symptoms disappeared after surgery - to be replaced by fatigue and some balance issue and SSD. Something’s improved (handwriting tenfold) ... others things worsened. (balance, fatigue, vision in left eye etc)

I am only at 3 months post op ... so I am not sure if I am giving the accurate longer term picture. I can however concentrate better post op. I have also nixed caffeine from my diet. (Minus the Halloween M & M's I had to get the contrast metallic taste out of my mouth post MRI - today)

Question...

Are you getting 7 consecutive hours of sleep a night?

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

BGWBT

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 07:38:17 pm »
Yes, I'm trying to get at least 7-8 hours a night, and try to sleep in on the weekend.  (Minus wandering around the house at night worrying.)  I do feel like the last 5-6 years my 'sharpness' has declined.  Since my work is heavy reading and analysis - this is not good.  Had been feeling it was just because I work 50 hours a week and am raising two small children by myself, but maybe the AN does have something to do with it.  I've also seen where some patients have eyesight that has been disturbed, yet have changes in their eyesight for the better after surgery.  Now that I've gotten a diagnosis I'm seeing mild symptoms that could have been present off and on for some time. 

Anyway, trying to sleep well, walking, lifting weights (until surgery), in general just trying to take care of myself (and trying to keep in mind I am not Wonder Woman.)

Thanks for listening.
1.5 cm diagnosed 10/2007
Waiting and watching and researching options

Janice in Al

• Confirmed 4-5mm x 2.5 mm AN - Surgery, GK or CK???
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 01:34:32 pm »
Thanks to all you guy's feedback this is such a great site and such a relief to know it not just all in my head...Ha!  ;D  I have also been experiencing the "foggy head"  ??? ??? symptons for a year now, along with not being able to focus and express myself verbally like I used to and these things are essential in my line of work.  I am also having problems typing correctly what my brain is thinking, mispelled words, leaving letters and words out, etc.  Has others experienced this or other mental symptons?  What do the doctors say about these symptons improving after surgery or radiation? Please let me know these conditions are going to improve.  I am still in W & W mode and researching so still not sure which way to go on treatment. Need some good news!  Thanks for any response in advance.  Janice
Janice
Dx 4-5mm x 2.5mm left AN on 7/8th nerve complex. 20% hearing loss so far. In W&W mode. Researching best txmt options/suggestions.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 02:30:35 pm »
Yes, I have had some of the same things going on for many years, but I have always put it off to getting older and/or medication that I take for a mood disorder.  Sometimes I feel really sharp and on top of it, and then I feel like my IQ has gone down 20-30 points.  The spelling is the worst I would have to say.  I have consulted a dictionary more times than I ever have in the past even for simple words.  I get foggy sometimes, and I have recently had times where I thought I might faint.  Could be that all of this is just normal, and I am trying to put too much off on the AN.  But, I believe all of you so don't think I am trying to downplay anything.

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Tumbleweed

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 03:11:22 pm »
Yes, I've had that feeling now for 8 years. I explain it as feeling like I'm not totally in my body, like I'm watching everything as if I'm in a movie. When it gets worse, it feels like you described, like being drunk but without the stupor.

Since receiving CK treatment 9 days ago, this feeling has been heightened. I'm hoping it will decrease over time. I think it's due to the vestibular nerve being damaged.

I find that walking a lot helps. I think that's because my brain is forced to compensate for balance being screwed up on my AN side (using eyesight and propioceptors to establish proper balance instead of relying so much on vestibular input). I also started putting cold packs on my forehead and the back of my skull (lying down) this past week, whenever I'm particularly dizzy or fatigued. That seems to help, although it could just be the fact that I'm resting that's making me feel better.

It sure sucks, but at least you have company.  :)

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Glenda

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 09:11:38 pm »
I am so glad to hear this from you all.  I have been feeling like this for several years now.  I feel like I'm invisible and just suspended watching the world go by.   Sometimes I catch myself just sitting in a stare.  I probably make other people uncomfortable like I'm staring at them or something but my mind feels so foggy like I'm not there at all, not sure where my mind goes.   ???   I also have trouble getting words out and my memory is terrible.  I had thought this was probably age related but since reading this maybe not...The constant tinnitus doesn't help with the feeling either.  Just this steady ringing....Hard to explain but hope you understand.  I'm also having the trouble with typing, letters right but in the wrong place, have to retype alot.  Glad to know I'm not alone in this.  I type all day at work so this is very irritating.  I am having my second MRI this week and also seeing the ENT and having hearing checked.  6 months from diagnosis and I'm praying it isn't growing.  Thanks again for your comments and it's nice knowing I'm not alone.
Diagnosed 5 mm AN  Jan 2008
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness

shygirl

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 11:26:13 pm »
Ditto to all!

I have been in spelling bees all through jr high and high school, so I know I know how to spell!! It is aggravating to have to get the dictionary out, go back and fix each mistake. I have a hard time remembering which words have i before e. I sometimes can't remember words and have to describe what it is. I feel like I'm playing on the old gameshow "$20,000 Pyramid".

The balance and foggy head feeling starts at dusk. Needless to say, I don't get out much anymore. During the day, I can drive, at night I'm a mess!!
2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07
BAHA 2/08--processor 3/08
chronic headache sufferer