Author Topic: After Translab, will the tinnitus go away?  (Read 4909 times)

bpham

After Translab, will the tinnitus go away?
« on: September 06, 2007, 11:49:57 am »
I'm thinking about the translab operation and wonder if someone who has had it, did the tinnitus go away?

Thanks.
1cm AN on the left side.  Surgery was on Oct 2007 at HEI.  Currently having issue with it, may be a CFS leak.  Not feeling too well.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: After Translab, will the tinnitus go away?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 12:40:30 pm »
Mine changed, but didn't go away.  It's not better or worse now, just different.

I've yet to find anyone who had their tinnitus go away post-op.  My surgeon didn't know of anyone either.  The most likely outcome is that it will be about the same, though there is a chance it'll get worse. 

But maybe there's still a chance it'll go away - I don't know!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

tjr

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 01:36:23 pm »
I will tell you mine is louder after surgery. Its always there. I have noticed that when I move my eyes in any direction other than stright on, it will get louder. Was hoping that 17 months post- op it would have become less noticeable.  Left SSD.  I can tell you that everyone different  Hope this helps.
3.5 x 3.5 x 2.7.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 05:04:51 pm »
Tinnitus is the bane of our existence! Almost everyone with an AN has it and there have been extensive conversations on here about it and all of us wishes it would just disappear...but it's most likely we all are going to have to come to terms with it and try to live our best lives, albeit, with more head noise than most people. Sucks, but what are ya gonna do?  :)

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 05:53:04 pm »
Well it might just take all your hearing too so you won't have to worry bout any ringing. :D
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

Rick Everingham

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 02:28:25 pm »
I still fight tinnitus 4+ years after surgery and have come to accept (grudgingly) that it will never go away.  As Sue said, it part of the AN experience.
1.5x1x1.2cm AN surgically removed by Tans Lab Jul 30, 2003, McGuire VA Hospital in Richmond, VA.

webwrestler

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 03:31:07 pm »
i had translab May 1, 2007 and still have tinnitus, however unless it is mentioned i don't notice it. To come out alive and with little issues (a bit of facial palsy, oh well!) tinnitus is the least of my concern. I will never regreat my decision to have the surgery, never. I would be interested to filter all of my comments and posts prior to my surgery just to see how confused I really was. Knowing what I know now, post surgery, all those sleepless nights and all the tears I shed seems a little silly to me now. life goes on... or that is how i feel now, everyone is different.