Author Topic: Lower lip twitching  (Read 20460 times)

Crystal

Lower lip twitching
« on: September 05, 2007, 10:54:39 pm »
Hello,

I am about a 8 months post-translab.  The last couple of weeks I have developed very irritating lower lip twitch, just right in the middle. Hard to notice but it feels like someone is pulling on my lip.  It seems to increase when I have a cup of tea.  My frown line on the right side of my mouth also barely pulses involentarily, on and off during the day.  I have been chewing gum at work so I don't have to worry about it.

Anybody else experiance stuff like this and have it go away? Weird to have it do this now.  I felt some slight pulling in my face on that side for a few months after surgery but it went away. darn.
Dr. Chang - Stanford U - April 2004 Cyberknife 15mm X 12mm
Dr. Schwartz and Doctor Luxford - House Ear Clinic - Dec 2006 Translab 19.1mm X 15mm

Mary 117

Re: Lower lip twitching
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 07:23:34 am »
Hi Crystal
About a year after surgery I started the twitching, then it varied from lip, cheek and eye twitching. That seemed to go on for about a year and now it rarely happens anymore. I thought it was just the nerves firing up after their mini-vacation. I still have mild, mild facial numbness and no one notices the crooked smile except me. If it gets really bad, talk with your doc. Mine gave me some facial exercises that they use for bells palsey and they seemed to help.

Mary

2cm AN middle fossa, HEI, Dr Brackmann, 05/24/05
2cm x 1.5cm AN, Middle Fossa, Dr. Brackmann  05/24/05
Mild hearing loss, mild facial weakness, no balance issues

"well behaved women seldom make history"

Crystal

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 04:34:11 pm »
Well... my lip twitching turned into a 24 hour a day pulsing of my smile line and soft tissue under my eye twitching.  Scared me badly.  I called House and the doctor called me back and indicated it was likely scar tissue.  Doc said to give it a couple of weeks and it would likely go away.  He put me on a 5 day course prednisone. 

Given the failure I had with radio surgery I did not believe them that it would go away....however this morning I woke up and the twitching is totally gone and my face has been normal all day, praise God and my doctors!

It will be a year in December since my translab.
Dr. Schwartz and Doctor Luxford - House Ear Clinic - Dec 2006 Translab 19.1mm X 15mm

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 05:16:08 pm »
Crystal, 20 months post op and I have lower lip twitching almost every night when I start to sleep.  I had only facial weakness for 6 weeks, and all recovered completely.  But the twitches are there especially when I have a cold.  It is comforting to think this is only scar tissue.  I have a second year MRI in November. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 06:24:26 pm by Boppie »

Crystal

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 06:52:41 pm »
Boppie -- Very interesting that your twitching is at night and during colds.  This morning when I first got up the soft part of my eye tissue twitched a bit for about a 10 minutes and then went away.  I guess the wires must get crossed somehow.  If you get any feed back from your physician on cause I would be very interested to know. 

Thanks.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 08:11:39 pm »
Last week I went shopping on-line at the AN store

https://secure.baxinternet.com/~anausa/for_sale.html

I bought a few booklets, pins etc

One booklet:

The Facial Nerve and Acoustic Neuroma: Possible Damage and Rehabilitation (AN4)

Pertains to this post specifically.

Quoting page 6 A. Exercises and Massage

“DO NOT chew gum as this promotes asymmetry� (revised Feb 2007)

I met with my newly assigned (by my Stanford team) ‘follow up’ post op doctor here in Oregon. (BTW Dr. Anh is very personable- I’ll give him a ‘thumbs up’)
http://www.ohsu.edu/ent/ear/nguyenhuynh.html

He said that before facial palsy starts to resolve it is often reported, by AN patients, to get some twitching (I am taking this as a good sign). He said once this starts to happen (as well as my wrinkles returning) then it is time to start therapy exercises.

I am thinking that the TWITCHING IS ACTUALLY SOMETHING TO BE CELEBRATED- and the GUM CHEWING TO BE AVOIDED.

Dear God-Please bring on the twitching- I SO need a sign this facial palsy will resolve.

“4�
(The impatient patient) ::)

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Crystal

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 05:25:01 pm »
4 - Good to know about the gum.  Thanks for the info! -c

zjane

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 07:33:49 pm »
Hi Crystal -

For the past couple of days, my nose has been twicthing a little like someone's pushing the tip of my nose.  I'm not too concerened because about one month ago for a week I had this twitching below my lip and it even made a dimple so if I stared at the mirror I could see the dimple go on and off.   I contributed these to nerve re-generating/re-wiring.

I remember when I was first out of the surgery 3 months ago, I had nothing on my AN side but a twitching under the eye.  And the doctors said because they saw the twitching they KNEW my face would complete come back.  So I have to echo 4cm and say twitching is a good thing and if it happens again not to worry.

Jane
right side AN found Nov 04 1.0x0.7
FSR Cabrini - Dr. Lederman 5 sessions Nov 05 1.4x1.0
Translab Hinsdale Hospital - Dr. Wiet / Dr. Kazan Jun 07 2.3x1.2 (CSF leak, lumbar drain)

2yr Post-Op MRI Apr 09 Clean

sreda

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 09:33:34 am »
This was an intersting thread for me to find today.
I am 3+ years post op for AN removal (midfossa) and have just in the last week had tingling in my upper lip. Just intermittently, and only a very small area. It's a tingling , not a twitching or flutter.

Anyone else ever have this sensation, this long after surgery?

Sis 
Sis
Left side 4mm AN removed middle fossa 8/2004 at House by Drs. Brackmann and Hitselberger. 48 yrs. old