Author Topic: Vertigo Help  (Read 6487 times)

alisaandree

Vertigo Help
« on: March 09, 2005, 03:16:40 pm »
Hello All AN Folks!
I am 3 weeks post-surgery and am wondering about the vertigo resulting from removal of my inner ear.
How long does that last? My doctor said that the remaining ear will take over the balance. I am wondering about anyone's experience and time frame with vertigo. Have you had to seek out any addiational therapy? Is time the key?
Thank you for your replies!
Alisa

Becky

Re: Vertigo Help
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 04:13:49 pm »
Hi.  For about 3 months post-translab I felt a 'swimminess' (or dizziness) 24/7, along with imbalance.  I still have some imbalance, but the 24/7 'swimminess' mostly went away by 3 months post-op.  I would describe myself after that, as feeling on the verge of dizziness but not quite.  It will subside and you will adjust in time. 

Becky

sreda

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 03:22:57 pm »
Hello. As far as post op vertigo: I had a 4mm. tumor sugically removed in Aug. via middle fossa approach. My dizziness and vertigo went from extreme to pronounced to noticeable to mild over about 3-4 mos. The "extreme" imbalance only lasted about a week, and then began subsiding. I was always able to function (walk slowly, bathe, sit, etc.) even as soon as 2 days after surgery. Now I am 7 mos. post op and I have small imbalance episodes, like if I turn my head quickly or watch my feet when going down stairs or on  the treadmill. My life is normal, and I feel healthy and well, with no other after affects.     
Sis
Left side 4mm AN removed middle fossa 8/2004 at House by Drs. Brackmann and Hitselberger. 48 yrs. old

centimeter

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 06:50:48 pm »
Alisa;
  You could ask about 'vestibular rehab.' from your ENT.  You must have lost some good function there which the other side has not compensated for yet. Give it plenty of time.
  Re: Vertigo; I believe dizziness is more common vs. the true spinning type vertigo.

C

barbie

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 11:42:47 pm »
My husband had mid fossa surgery on March 2. He is still mostly in bed or in a recliner chair. He can walk around outside for a few blocks but he has sensory overload very quickly. He had a tumor on the facial nerve which they decompressed and during the surgery they moved the facial nerve. He would like suggestions, too, on how to get over the vertigo. He had some physical therapy in the hospital, and they gave him some vestibular exercises to do. Does it get better after the steroids are tapered off? He had his last steroids a couple of days ago.

Barbie

Bob Partak

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 11:08:56 pm »
Hi Barbie and other folks with vertigo problems,
I had Cyberknife Radiosurgery on a 1.5cm AN on Sept.27. I had vertigo so severe my 2nd treatment was postponed for 4 days. I was able to complete the 3 doses, but for several months I just couldn't get too active. After 3 mo.s I still had vomiting episodes after walking the dogs or trying to walk on a treadmill. My doc tried meclizine and then scopolamine patches without help. Then he suggested taking 2mg. of valium 4x's a day. He said it was used years ago for folks with severe ear infections and for some patients it's been helpful. I started taking the valium in mid-Jan.  and have not vomited since. In fact almost right away I started feeling better, not perfect and I still have a little trouble walking with one foot in front of the other (balance), but no vertigo. Today I went fishing and waded the shore lines for about 2 hours without feeling sick. Also, I only take 2mg. in the morning and that's it. My tumor is dying, I don't have usable hearing on my left side ( didn't before rads either), but I'm getting along without too much trouble. I know three to six months is a long time for recovery, but I feel  fortunate at this juncture. I hope this gives you something to mention to your MD.'s  The valium is such a low dose it does not alter my ability to do things like driving.  Best to you all, Bob

kbwright

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 04:01:06 pm »
Hello! This is my first time logging on here. I too need help with vertigo/dizzy edisodes.

I had gamma knife radiosurgery on March 14th, 3cm AN. The dizziness seems to be getting worse. I have been taking .5mg of Ativan 2x day. This was perscribed by my ENT. It does not seem to help as much now. I am now waking up dizzy and this was not a problem before the gamma knife. I have not been driving, or really doing much of anything due to the imbalance and dizziness. I would like to have some degree of normalcy back in my life.

I must say that my attitude has greatly improved since having the gamma knife proceedure. It makes a huge difference once you have been proactive and taken care of the problem.

KB

annewttom

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2005, 01:25:42 am »
2 years after surgery my only inconvenience is hesitation in a crowd when the movement ahead is unpredictable. I went back to work three weeks after middle fossa. All of our intial reactions are different,  but Balance is the complication from an AN that is mostly within your power to affect your recovery. The more you safely push yourself, the sooner and better your recovery. I found walking and visiting museums (where you're stepping sideways and moving your eyes a great deal) an enjoyable and effective exercise. Your inner ear was not destroyed, but the balance nerves that the tumor grew from have been severed to make the tumor removal more certain and just as importantly, to allow the other ear to take over for the damaged side, rather than forcing the damaged side to constantly and probably futilely compensate. One of the benefits of surgery over radiation is that the nerve is severed so that this can occur.

Don't be discouraged, most people will tell you I think that the active dizzyness has slowly dissappeared at about six months, and within a year, you'll rarely even think about any balance distractions.

cecile k

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 08:56:41 pm »
I also had huge balance issues post op. Because the AN was not affecting the balance nerve much prior to the removal, suddenly my brain had a lot of compensating to do once the balance nerve was severed. My neurosurgeon kept me in hospital for 13 days simply because I couldn't stay on my feet without assistance, and I thought at the time, "will this ever get better?" But it does, so take heart! You will find yourself going two steps ahead, one step back, but overall there will be improvement - just give yourself time and LOTS of time for recovery! 

rntiggergirl

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 08:18:48 pm »
Hi
Just a clarification. The balance nerve is not always severed during surgery, I had a middle fossa done 12/03, they tried to save my hearing (unsuccessfully) so one of my balance nerves (there are two) was not severed. I am now going thru Gentamycin injections into my middle ear to try and kill off the remaining nerve and inner ear. Unfortunately this is not working ( I have had 3 injections) and I may need to have a labyrinthectomy (removing my inner ear) and/or having my balance nerve severed which means an additional surgery. I keep my hopes up!! I will do what is necessary to fix the problem.  I have a very proactive Physician who says he will not stop until I am FIXED!!! What a God send.

Take Care
Cheryl