Author Topic: acupuncture  (Read 4720 times)

steph

acupuncture
« on: March 09, 2005, 12:46:47 pm »
HI, my name is steph, I am new, this is my first message :D I am 31, mother of an 18 month old and just hit my six month post surgery mark. I had a 4cm acustic. surgery went great, great doctors at mass general, unfortunately I have some facial weakness, including my eye that will not close (what a pain). The doctors say I have to "wait and see" what happens with the nerve, it is intact but I am restless to do more. Has anyone had any luck with acupuncture to help with facial functioning?

bluestar

Re: acupuncture
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 02:44:23 pm »
Hi, I had a 3.2.cm AN removed 21 months ago. The Drs told me that the facial nerve was intact but I had complete facial paralysis of the AN side. After I came out of hospital I had acupuncture for about 10 weeks. I think it made a difference but the facial nerve is very slow to heal and there is nothing which will make it heal quicker. I think the acupuncture does help the muscles.

I now have a lop sided smile and problems with my eye blink though I now do have eye closure. I have started acupuncture again for the last 3 months and I think it is helping. I also have had speech therapy which was helpful. The acupuncture also has been helpful with other aspects including better sleep and general relaxation.

Hope this helps and good luck to you.

Bluestar :-\
bluestar

steph

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 07:26:22 pm »
thanks so much for the info. how long was it before your smile and eye began to come back? I have no movement on my mouth but my eye does blink a little.

bluestar

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 11:09:30 pm »
Neither my smile nor my blink is back to normal but I have a half smile on the left side and I do blink some of the time and have almost complete closure of the eye most of the time now. Being able to drink through a straw and almost not dribble evereywhere was a real achievement and also not perfect yet - but an awful lot better. It is very frustrating but at least it does improve. It reminds you not to take anything for granted.

Hope you get better quicker than I did - but at least it will get better in time.

Bluestar
bluestar

steph

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 07:33:23 am »
would you believe I was reading the ana news letter this month and there is an article about someone who has been going to acupuncture and a neck and head physical therpaist with great results, he just happens to live in my state and not too far so I will get the contact info. from him. I am thrilled. Thanks for the advice, I am trying to keep my chin up (no pun intended) some days are easier than others, I still don't quite recognize the face in the mirror but it gets easier every day. thanks again.

Retired Dad

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 03:34:13 pm »
Steph,
   Busy trying to "reach" you regarding "off line" note.  Plze contact me with your e-mail address.
                           Retired Dad  ÂÂ