Author Topic: Doctor in Colorado Springs!  (Read 2133 times)

Zanybrainy

• Surgery 01/24/05 4.0cm, Colorado Springs, CO Retro
Doctor in Colorado Springs!
« on: September 23, 2005, 08:53:40 am »
 :)This is my first post. I had at 4.0cm acoustic neuroma removed January 24, 2005.  My surgeon was Dr. Joseph Hegarty and he was assisted by Dr. Paul Grabb at Memorial Hospital.  I honestly do not think I could of had better care anywhere.  They took the time to explain all my options and possible side effects.  We ending up going with retrosigmoid because my hearing was 100% ok.  It was still a long shot but we went ahead.  Unfortunately, my tumor was very sticky and stuck to the brainstem. Surgery took 12 hours and I was in the hospital 18 days. I lost my hearing completely which we expected but hoped I would beat the odds.  I had to have physical therapy due to a weakness on my right side.  I do have a partial facial paralysis that is slowly improving (Movement started around 5 months). Currently i walk (very helpful) up to 3.5 miles a day. My husband and I even hiked in the mountains.  The hearing is annoying but more an inconvenience. After surgery I did not have any headaches. I took morphine once and vicodine once because I was afraid of what pain might come.Thankfully I had none.  I couldn't wake up fully for the first few days and was in intensive care for a week. I think this was because of the weekend and Dr. Hegarty is very cautious.  He kept me in the hospitl so I could receive regular physical therapy. He thougt this would help my overall recovery and he was right.  Dr. Hegarty was quick to address all my concerns and has a skilled staff and good referrals.  He will be honest and not send you chasing treatments that have not proven value. Obviously I am very thankful and could go on and on with good things to say.  While the aftermath is not perfect, I feel I got the best treatment possible and I am looking forward to seeing my first daughter get married October 14.  God is Good!!!
Retrosigmoid, January 24, 2005
4 cm "stuck" to brainstem
Memorial Hospital, Colorado Springs