Author Topic: Taste and Eating habits  (Read 16964 times)

Boppie

Re: Taste and Eating habits
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 05:10:23 pm »
Confused taste information is temporary for most AN patients, post treatment.

Catflower

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 05:16:04 pm »
Although the real metallic taste has gone away I'm finding that nothing tastes the same as before surgery.  I do still have some numbness on the right side of my tongue.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 06:29:04 pm »
I have NO numbness; in fact, when I accidentally bite my tongue or cheek or lips because of the paralysis, boy do I feel it.  Guess the sensory part of my nerve works, just not the motor part....   weird, huh?
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

lori67

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 08:23:51 pm »
Sounds perfectly normal to me!  It seems like my tongue is numb on the one side, but I woke myself out of a sound sleep the other night when I bit it!    Guess it's not as numb as I think it is!  Too bad - that really hurt.   :-\
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 09:25:33 pm »
12 weeks tomorrow I can now and “yes - I have some taste improvementsâ€?. :)  I even had a spot of tea and it was actually palatable. Raw apples taste weird however tonight I managed baked apple pie mmm... chocolate (ok I am back in there ::) ) but coffee blahh  :P... grapes –  :P   :P double bluchhh...

Must be the tannins or something… no wine tasting tours for me this upcoming Thanksgiving weekend

So you are right there are improvements happening there ... and I did not pay much attention until Nancy mentioned this...

Cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 05:41:51 am »
Hi 4 - Last week I couldn't get enough apples!!   2 weeks before I didn't have any taste for them (go figure).  The funny thing about my taste is I can taste (somewhat) vegetables & fruit, but NOT meat!!!   I miss my steak, burgers & frankfurters!!!!   Is the universe trying to tell me something?    For lunch today I've made broccalli rabe (bitter broccalli, something I hated as a kid!).
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
ps:  Lori:  Isn't that something!!!!
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Catflower

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2007, 10:40:17 am »
Hi 4 - Last week I couldn't get enough apples!!   2 weeks before I didn't have any taste for them (go figure).  The funny thing about my taste is I can taste (somewhat) vegetables & fruit, but NOT meat!!!   I miss my steak, burgers & frankfurters!!!!   Is the universe trying to tell me something?    For lunch today I've made broccalli rabe (bitter broccalli, something I hated as a kid!).
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
ps:  Lori:  Isn't that something!!!!

I went through the same thing with red grapes.   For a few weeks I couldn't get enough of them and now I'm not wanting them at all.

Linda

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 01:54:48 pm »
Linda - isn't it the funniest thing?  I wonder if our bodies NEED the nutrients & make us crave certain foods.  I never CRAVE chocolate, it's like Pavlov's dog - I remember the taste & want it again, especially in times of stress.....
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

lori67

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 02:27:01 pm »
I'm pretty sure my body NEEDS the chocolate!  I think it helps ensure the safety and happiness of those around me!   ;D
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

justpens

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 05:22:02 pm »
I'm almost 4 months post op, and my taste is terrible.  Mainly a bitter taste that I can't seem to mask.  Food tastes ok while I'm chewing, but then right after is the awful taste.  I, too, keeping eating to cover it up.  I told my doctor and all he said was"interesting".  I started to wonder if there isn't another health problem, not from my AN.  But the coincidence of it starting after I had surgery seems too much of a stretch.  I've tried the dry mouth toothpaste and the zinc tablets and the listerene strips.  Some days it really gets to me.

justpens

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 07:37:06 pm »
justpens,

Nah the taste is all tied into the facial nerve...

I thought it might be how they filled the craniotomy hole (metal heads vs fat heads) but I was proven wrong after reading up on it more. It is tied into the cranial never that control the face and tongue.

Today I had the 3 month follow up MRI with contrast ... talk about metallic taste  :P after the contrast injection.

MMMMM the chocolate coated M & M peanuts left over from Halloween seems to be the perfect medicine MMMM post MRI metallic mouth....MMMMM

Quoting you
“ I told my doctor and all he said was "interesting ".�

Well of course he has no idea – being that he has probably never had a craniotomy or a GK zap himself. LOL  :D  ;D

I was told at my first MRI that I would “not feel a thing� … yet I always do. I swear I can feel it when they are zooming in on that spot between the brainstem and the cerebellum. I also get this weird eye twitching in my AN side (now palsy side) . They know something but just tell us patients, “interesting� …

Did you try the Biotene stuff that someone recommended on another thread? (I think it was boppie)
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5131.0

Cheers,

P.S. MMMM you should try these M & M  MMMMMM’s (no way I could have eaten these 2 months ago- oh these are good! MMMMMMMM :D ;) :)
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2007, 08:05:02 am »
Still having taste issues  but tongue is no longer numb.... and have a couple spells where the 
saliva glands have gone wild and almost drowned me in spit instead of mouth being so dry that
it hurts...so I am hoping more improvement comes along...

as to cravings ..... red grapes... odd since they are one of those things that I can
usually take or leave ... but lately I have to have them.... and granny smith apples...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

marg

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2007, 09:28:17 pm »
Hi Soundy,
   I have had the crazy saliva glands too.... and the first time it happened I was in front of my class teaching................ ::)  boy was that an experience.... it lasted about  5 - 10 minutes..... It has happened a few times now and I just keep thinking the same thing as you.......... must mean that the nerves are healing up.... but I sure don't want to flood my classroom  ;D .

I also had one thing that I craved for about 7 weeks after surgery .....root beer floats.........it was the ONLY thing that tasted the same.  I am not going to tell you how many of those I had ( ok I will ...... enough that I probably should have gone to root beer annonomous ).  I am over the major crave now so only have one every once in a while.... probably because even though some foods don't taste the same...at least I'm not dealing with the metal taste in my mouth as often.
Margaret
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 09:38:15 pm by marg »
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2007, 07:15:00 pm »
I think I wanted grapes and the apples because they tasted right...

Driving down the road my daughter gave me a square of a Hershey's bar... it
tasted really bad... some things seem to bring out the metallic taste more...I
am glad I am an odd ball that doesn't particularly like chocolate...

right now dry mouth is a big problem...yesterday , to show my youngest just
how dry it was ,I pinched the corner off a square of toilet paper and put it on my
tongue and it just slid off... you wouldn't think being dry would hurt but it does
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

marg

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2007, 12:43:29 am »
Wow, I haven't had the dry mouth at all...didn't even know that that was something that could come from this 'wonderful AN recovery' experinece.  Hope it gets back to normal for you soon.... I think I'd rather have 'gusher saliva' and deal with that. 
Margaret
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !