Author Topic: Taste and Eating habits  (Read 16969 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Taste and Eating habits
« on: August 22, 2007, 11:05:24 am »
I am not usually a big eater... but since surgery I have been gaining weight... after keeping a
diary of what I was eating for a few days I saw a pattern... I will start out eating what is on my
plate and get part way through and go look for something else.. I cooked a roast one day last
week... ate about half of what was on my plate got up and rummage thru fridge and got salad
stuff and ate a salad ...followed by a little pudding then a little icesream...

thinking about what I was feeling while eating , I realized that I was searching for something that
tasted right... everything is tainted by the metallic/salty taste in my mouth...I wrote myself some
notes and put them around the kitchen...
 Nothing tastes right .Eat what you have on your plate. Love Mom

I know that is a bit dorky but it keeps me from pillaging the kitchen for something else... Anyone
with thoughts or ideas on this? I know it isn't a serious problem but if I keep gaining weight it could be ...
was already trying to lose some due to RA in hip and knees..I can feel the pounds ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Jeanlea

Re: Taste and Eating habits
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 07:35:47 pm »
Soundy,

I love your note.  :-)  I have no feeling on one side of my tongue, so I feel like I need to eat twice as much to get the right amount of taste.  lol  I was in Weight Watchers before my surgery and we had a note we put on the fridge.  It said, "Am I really hungry?"  It helps if we think of eating as only a way to fuel our bodies.  Unfortunately I think I need a lot of fuel when I see desserts sitting around at my meetings.  Good thing I don't go to meetings everyday.  I find keeping busy helps me to cut down on my eating.  I'm also getting more exercise.  Putting on weight after surgery was much easier than trying to take it off. 

Good luck to you.
Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

tony

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 12:24:41 am »
In my case no less than 80% of all food simply tasted "off"
Basically human beings are programmed not to eat food that maybe bad
life was pretty miserable as you might guess
The solution was to invest in just about any far eastern sauce I could find
- yes a Roast with sweet chilli was a bit weird
But I could eat it - and the sauce tended to mask the "off" taste
It does work with two provisos
1 Sweet and sour ice cream just wont fly, and
2 dont cook for your friends - not if you want to keep them
Best Regards
Tony

Soundy

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 11:55:41 am »
sweet and sour ice cream does sound a bit off

I have been trying to write down stuff that taste at least OK...
I have learned that extra garlic helps ... keeps people away too... I
don't season whole pots of stuff just add it to my portions
Translab July 2 ,2007

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 12:23:58 pm »
For some reason I've found (thru my LOVE of chocolate) that the new Snickers with Almonds (mmmmmm) has the most taste of chocolate, outside of dark chocolate, which I have gone from hating (pre surg) to liking (post surg).
I must say, I MISS THE TASTE OF HAMBURGERS & STEAKS - I think this has been the hardest for me (along with wine).    You're right Tony, food needs to be seasoned in order to taste anything.  Soundy:  I'm a garlic officianado, never too much. (BTW: love your artistic son's rendition - looks like another Picasso on the rise!).  take care all,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Soundy

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 12:50:43 pm »
I grilled some steaks last night and they smelled great but tasted ugh...

I did spice up some veggies with szechuan sauce and it helped ...the
spiciness of it over rode the metallic taste in my mouth... I have started writing
down what tastes least bad and what tastes the worst... looking for
a pattern... probably overthiking this but can't continuing eating too much in effort
to find something that tastes good ... a friend suggested getting those rice cakes
to fill up on so even if I tried to eat something else my stomach would be full and
couldn't keep grazing

the picture was drawn by my youngest daughter... she drew it before the AN was found
claimed it was me when I didn't feel good... I love the drawing now , but the day
they found the tumor it was eerie... looks kinda squashed where I shrank it for my avatar
Translab July 2 ,2007

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 01:00:09 pm »
OOPS -  Sorry Soundy, not Picasso then,  a Freda Kahlo on the rise.   Maybe your daughter also has a 6th sense ....
You've got me crying over the 'grilled steaks' - boy would I love to taste steak again !!! 
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Soundy

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 11:30:33 am »
I think I would be better of if my sense of smell had gone too... I passed
a bakery and it had my moth watering ... bought some warm yeast rolls and
might as well have been eating salted cardboard...

Like the steak the smell was delicious but actually putting in mouth a big
disappointment

You know what bothers me but isn't such a big deal as food???
tooth paste... have went through trying several to find something that doesn't make
me gag...
Translab July 2 ,2007

lora

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 07:29:54 am »
Soundy, I know where you are coming from.  I have a very short list of what tastes "right".  Radishes and cucumbers are now a staple.  Vanilla yogurt.  We ordered Chinese out last night, and the broccoli LOOKED like broccoli and SMELLED like broccoli, but sure didn't TASTE like broccoli!!  OH well, it is like having whole new foods to explore :D  But I sure miss my old favorites...
4.7cm x all over my head, filling 4th ventricle, squashing the brainstem
translab by the awesome Dr.Tomaras 4/12/07
retrosigmoid, Drs. Tomaras and Steuer 6/4/07
GK in Oct. for the little bit left?
2007--the year of the head "what a long, strange trip it's been"

TP

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 08:36:11 pm »
Food did not taste the same for about 8 months. Sweets seemed to taste the best so of course I ate sweets for the first several months. I could not tolerate wine or any alcohol. However, this past spring (about 10 months out from my surgery) my brother bought me a Blue Moon beer while we were out for a family dinner celebration. That tasted really nice but any other alcohol for the most part does not taste like it use too. Now that I am about 16 months out my mouth has a dry taste every now and then but most foods taste like they use too. I find I don't need to use as much spices as I use too even though I love them! It seems like a slow process but one to look foward too!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

er

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 01:18:10 am »
TP

Your right I have put on 10 pounds because of the same problem. I need to do the same .
eve

TLC719

• Teresa L Childers
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 04:58:22 pm »
How about coffee?Right after my surgery the smell of coffee made so sick.I was always a coffee&tea drinker,but it turned on me.I could not stand to smell it while in the hospital or when I got home from surgery.I even made my husband move the coffee pot to the garage!I'ts has been over a year now ,I can even drink it now.My taste has changed but over all I am happy to keep food in m y mouth when chewing.TLCl
Atlanta Ga.AN 2006 right paralysis,balance issues,SS deaf,just happy to be here!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 10:34:29 pm »
Tomorrow I will be at my 11-week post-op benchmark...

I still can't stand the taste of coffee. BLAH! (I was a major caramel latte consumer at Starbucks pre-surgery.) I have developed a distaste for any food on the “tannin� list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannin

I have substituted my coffee addiction for Carnation Instant Breakfast drink – so much healthier. (gee maybe that is why I had such a head ache- caffeine withdrawal)

http://www.carnationinstantbreakfast.com/Products/Default.aspx

Just call me your “infomercialâ€?  ;D

Cheers,
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

chica07

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 02:54:30 pm »
Hello everyone!
        I thought I was the only one with this weird taste with food.  I thought it was due to the medication after surgery.  All the food that I was craving didn't taste right and now I order or cook the food with extra seasoning. Does anyone know if this will be temporary?  Thanks.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 04:33:32 pm »
I think I've read that others have gotten their taste back;  as for me, I still can't taste most foods - but then again, I still have total right sided facial paralysis.
I hope your taste comes back as it has for others.  Take care,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis