Author Topic: *Update* Surgery Scheduled Sept 6th  (Read 34557 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: *Update* Surgery Scheduled Sept 6th
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2007, 04:23:22 pm »
Adrian & Sam:

I'm delighted to learn about this somewhat strange turn of events that appears to work in your favor. 

I also find it incredibly ironic - but quite fortunate - that someone in the insurance office mistakenly described Adrian's AN as far smaller than it actually is...which started a chain reaction that had a doctor in Orlando claiming that he could radiate it....which prompted Adrian to see this doctor....who looked at the MRI scan and realized it was pushing on the brainstem and obviously not amenable to radiation....and also decided that Dr. Van Loveren was far more capable to operate on Adrian's tumor.  That this doctor agreed to inform the insurance company of his newly revised medical opinion is great!  I agree that having the surgery done, on schedule, at Tampa looks like a 'go' at this juncture.   

I''ll be waiting (with the others) to find out how this saga - which is what it is becoming - finally ends.  My prayer is that it ends with Adrian having the surgery on schedule, with the surgeon(s) Adrian wants and, of course, a totally successful outcome.   

I applaud the shared tenacity (and obvious affection) you two share.  It serves you well.  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 02:20:56 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2007, 05:34:26 pm »
Sam & Adrian -

Jim Scott's last post says it perfectly.  I totally agree with his sentiments - I couldn't have said it better myself.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Obita

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2007, 08:39:43 pm »
Adrian and Sam:

Good grief!!  I was gone a week and cannot believe what you two have gone through.  I have not see a roller coaster of events like this since I came on the forum.  I also cannot imagine the stress this has caused you two. 

The countdown begins!!  Congrats, Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2007, 08:56:49 am »
Hi…Adrian here.  WOW….has the fiasco that is my life received so much attention!  This forum is amazing…..so many people that I’ve never met are so interested in my life……very humbling.  I know I say that often, but it’s become more and more true with each and every post….Thank you!

So….yesterday was interesting.  I saw the local doctor in network who is apparently held in very high regard.  He was never told my age, and he never asked my age when he answered if he can do radio surgery on a 4cm tumor.  He answered yes, because the truth is, he can.  He figured he’d better meet me first to assess the entire situation.  I met with his assistant first who put me through different test….balance, reflex, etc.  Then I met the surgeon…..he sat me down and tried to have a very serious talk with me regarding my tumor.  I had to stop him and use technical terms so he understood my knowledge of this situation.  He stated that if I was 84 he’d do the radio surgery, but not for a 34 year old.  He told me that he stood in the hall looking at my MRI and expected to see a person with an eye that could not close and a very droopy face.  He said a few times that it was amazing I am the way I am.  He also said that he has a lot of respect for Dr. van Loveren who has more experience than he especially regarding large tumors.  He also said that he recommends Dr. van Loveren as he is highly sought after Neurosurgeon.  He stated that I was in great hands, especially given my situation.  So….now the only challenge is to get the notes to my medical center.  The MD said he would have it yesterday afternoon…his staff says 5 days because of the 3rd party dictation company.  I hope that this is the “shot-in-the-armâ€? I need.

I’m still having surgery on the 6th with the team I had mentioned, Van Loveren & Bartels, I just hope the 55K for surgery and approx 15K post surgery does not have to be paid my family and I.  I’m not too worried about a payment plan for Tampa General, but I have a very hard conscious of making sure the surgeons and the anesthesiologist are paid upfront.

I apologize for not having enough time to post and respond to private messages.  This is my last day for work before medical leave and I will have more time.  I want to thank you ALL for your support and wonderful words of encouragement and comfort.  I am always amazed by this forum.

I will talk to everyone soon.

Thanks,
Adrian
Age 35/ 4cm AN right side, Transpetrosal aproach, 9/6/07
Dr. Loren Bartels - Otolaryngology & partner Dr. Christopher Danner
Dr. Harry van Loveren - Neurosurgeon & partner Dr. Levine
Dr. David Samuels - Anesthesiologist
Tampa General Hopital, Tampa FL
These guys re-assembled Humpty Dumpty!

mema

« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2007, 11:24:07 am »
Brucifer,                                                                                                                                                                                   

You were correct in stating employers in US do not have to give medical insurance.  My store manager actually told me brutally "medical insurance is a gift from us and we can take it away at anytime".   Its a shame there  is no more middle class people anymore .Just the very rich or the very poor.  And both make out with our government better than us  middle class.       J                                                                                                   

Adrain and Sam,            So glad it seems like things are turning around your way.  I thought of you guys all weekend.  Adrian  just concentrate on your surgery and the wonderful team that will work on you.  Heck my Husband had a whole bill written off for him and another one reduced in half.  So we pay $20 a month for the rest.  Don't care if it takes the rest of our  lives.   Whats important at this time is getting rid of your AN and having a great recovery.                                                                                                               

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2007, 02:06:45 pm »
Wow!  I just read this whole thread.  This reads like a script right out of a movie.  I was thinking that Michael Moore would love to add this whole scenario to his move "Sicko" (which I haven't seen). 

Sam and Adrian, you two are incredible!  I hope you two are together forever. 

I am also appalled by the 30 day thing that your employer has imposed upon you.  When I had my hysterectomy, I was told I could return to work in 6 weeks, so I guess by your employers criteria I would have been out of a job if I didn't crawl in to work after 30 days.   This has been quite a few years ago,  but I can't imagine that having that kind of surgery now would make any difference as to how fast you heal.  Some surgeries have a much faster healing time because they have perfected more non-invasive types of procedures but certainly not for everything.  Certainly not for microsurgery of the brain, for God's sake.  This policy is just so...ludicrous.  It's hard to even put it into words. Does the term MAJOR MEDICAL mean anything to them? Good Grief, you can make things worse by going back to work too soon. Oh my, a person could 'vent' on this for days. Doesn't do any good, however.  Where's 60 Minutes when you need them? 

It sounds like everything is going your way for your place of surgery and surgeons, however, and that's wonderful.  I, too, will be thinking about you and hoping your surgery and recovery are as uneventful as possible. You two sound like wonderful kids (well, you're kids to me! Same age as my son.) and I wish you only the best. I am so sorry you have have to go through this.  Not only the physical but then all the bureaucracy of the insurance. 

My best to you,

Sue in Vancouver WA USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Battyp

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2007, 05:58:27 pm »
Wow what a day you guys had. So glad the radiosurgery experience seems to be working in your favor. Adrian, in all seriousness. Please contact dcfs and apply for benefits. The state will pay for your surgery if you're insurance does not and take that stress and worry off of you. Wishing you both the best and keeping you in my prayers.

Hugs M

Obita

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2007, 07:35:18 pm »
Yep, Batty is a good one to have on your side!!

6 weeks off must be the gold standard for a hysterectomy.  I was off 6 weeks too.  No problems with my disability insurance on that one, nor the total hips......BUT the AN surgery was a different story.....

I had sent in my paperwork the day before surgery to get the ball rolling.  Sure enough, they called the day after I got home from the hospital and asked when I would be returning to work!!!  My surgeons had put "to be determined" in the return to work date spot followed by, recheck in one month.  Well, that did not go over very well with the twit (I know, he was just doing his job) that had not even looked up what kind of surgery I had had before he called me.  His mistake.

So, he asked me again what my best guess was as far as when I would be returning to work.  Now, my Irish was up.  I had just had surgery 4 days before, I had not slept, my neck hurt like heck so I let the poor guy have it:  "I do not know.  This is the first hole I have had drilled in my head AND my belly has 4 fat harvest sites where they tried to find enough fat to fill the hole in my head AND I have a tourniquet wraped around my head so everything stays put.  Can I get back to you after my one month check up?"  He said:  "I was going to suggest that Kathleen.............."

GOOD LUCK ADRIAN AND SAMANTHA!!  Kathy  ;D

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

sgerrard

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2007, 08:32:39 pm »

Hi…Adrian here.  WOW….has the fiasco that is my life received so much attention!  This forum is amazing…..so many people that I’ve never met are so interested in my life……very humbling.  I know I say that often, but it’s become more and more true with each and every post….Thank you!

I’m still having surgery on the 6th with the team I had mentioned, Van Loveren & Bartels, I just hope the 55K for surgery and approx 15K post surgery does not have to be paid my family and I.  I’m not too worried about a payment plan for Tampa General, but I have a very hard conscious of making sure the surgeons and the anesthesiologist are paid upfront.

Geez, I take a few days of vacation with the family and all heck breaks loose!

Adrian, I would not worry about the surgeons, I would bet they get paid either way, the hospital finance department would deal with the payment plans. But more important, it sounds like Bartels stirred things up enough, and that it will work out in the end, since the company doctor has basically said no way can he do it.

As for the job, just show up one day in a couple of months, when you are good and ready, and apply. They might just have an opening.  ;)

They certainly seem bound and determined to take you on a roller coaster ride, but it looks like this forum has done a great job keeping you and Sam in good spirits as you plough through it all. It is destined to work out great in the end, so hang in there, you are on the home stretch now.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

reneeairya

« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2007, 02:26:08 am »
Hi I am Renee"that girl" from the Youtube video and wanted to reply to the post about this video.

First of all, (to the nurse) I respect your opinion. However, I am the one who has lived my life.  It seems unfortunate that you do not honor that all people, all bodies and all situations are different. All AN stories are different....I am also not sure why you think the video is "scaring people and should be taken down?".  I have more than 100 people contact me, with and without AN that have felt hope and inspiration :) The whole point of this video is hope and self acceptance.

I intuitively "got guidance" that something major was going on in my brain since age 20.  I had Tried to get diagnosed for 10 years, being written off as a beautiful woman with "pyschosamatic problems"... I stopped even tryng to get help until my body told me it was "dying". For months, I went through many misdiagnosis again but kept going until I got the MRI... and then saw the tumor.
I had so much pressure in my head and facial nerve loss at the time that my doctor, though I had serious insurance problems, moved mountians so that I could have the surgery done within weeks of diagnosis because they did not know what was going to happen soon....My whole right side of my body was becoming numb (I was walking on crutches) because my tumor caused my head to shift it's weight and was putting pressure on the cranial nerves. My immune system was so slow that I developed major urogenital issues.  Many functions of my body were negatively effected. I could not walk straight at all. One week before the surgery I lost vision completely for four hours and was rushed to the ER, vomiting uncontrollably. WHY? of course I have no idea but this is how MY Body was reacting. No two people are the same!
When they removed the tumor, it was the only thing holding my facial nerve together and my doctors- who have done MORE AN surgeries than anyone in the US said this was THE most aggressive tumor they had ever seen. It was stuck to the brainstem.

I share all of this because: I was told that since my facial nerve was severed that the odds were not so great of having normal facial function. i was told that it takes 14-18 months for the nerve regeneration at that level. However: within 6 months, through prayer and visualization the nerve returned greatly. Do I have total function? NO. But I am self accepting and radiant anyway. Most peopel donot even notice unless I bring it up. I still did some modeling after the surgery and six months later was doing 15 miles, despite that I had a very diffcult time recovering vestibular wise. Many miracles are possible!!

I was intorduced to someone who is involved in this community. She gave me this link and I am glad that I visited so that I can communicate clearly My Story. I do not visit these links. I wrote a story for the ANA association that was published after the surgery that I felt really good about sharing. My intention has always been to inspire. I let go of the AN on all levels. I do not want to seek out the past. I have moved on with my life and enjoy a very rich life despite my "disabilities".  I choose to invest my time in health and feel that is the key to REALLY recovering.

Many blessings and Much compassion to all of you whom have had the AN experience. I truly honor you and hope that you have been able to recover inside and out.
renee airya

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2007, 05:26:50 am »
hi renee and welcome. It IS good to see you here and thank you for sharing your story with us.  You are absolutely correct that no 2 AN journeys are the same and the fact that you are willing to share your story, your video says a lot.  You have endured a tough road and know that I thank you for sharing your story with us..... as each and every AN story is not only unique onto itself.... but does help those newly-diagnosed with their journey.

Again, welcome.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sgerrard

« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2007, 06:58:41 am »
Renee, I too am glad you have posted. I hope you will continue to visit the forum. Your story is very inspiring, and offers great hope to others who may experience a severe case of AN like yours. I understand that you have moved on with your life, I know I hope to soon as well. But you can still visit the forum from time to time, to help others find their way through and show them that there is always hope and life after AN.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Windsong

« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2007, 08:21:03 am »
Hi Renee,

It was a lovely surprise to come here and read your post in this thread this morning. It was a reminder that synchronicity continues to happen. Thank you so much for sharing more of your story behind the video and for your comments about the post An journey.

It took me many years to get my own An diagnosis (many reasons behind that but one was that I "looked ok"). I remember that in the immediate days after getting the diagnosis I told myself that I was not to dwell on the delay of years but I was to spend my  energies finding out how to treat it and make a choice as I had a couple of choices. For the most part I avoided thinking about the past although now and then I'd wonder how I could intuit my tumour and even write down where it was with a diagram in my journal five years before it was finally found on an mri. And now and then post treatment I found myself mired down in the past (usually when symptoms still plagued me).

But the thing is, as you have pointed out so well,  (thank you) that our energies are so much better when we "let go of the past" and focus on now and all things that can help us get better. I believe true healing happens when we focus on all things that help  in all areas:  mind, body, and spirit. Recently, I decided that rather than pay lip service to this approach and rather than dabble in it now and then, that I'd be better off if I went beyond the physical ( changing diet, exercising, taking the right meds etc) and began to devote serious time to the emotional, mental, spirtual in order to achieve a balanced approach and have a balanced life.  Thus I am now doing not only visualization, relaxation, meditation (along with the physical) but am also working on the spiritual or soul part of all this. It's not easy work. It's hard, actually.

When I read your post I see that this is something you have been doing and you have done it well and reaped the benefits. Plus your video and this post spreads out that wellness to others. I am grateful that you shared your story  and your positive energies.

It is motivational and inspiring for the rest of us.

All the best and many blessings.
Windsong

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2007, 09:36:38 am »
Hi, Renee:

Thanks for your informative post that helps explain what happened to you, as related in the video in question (I've watched it).

We all understand that every AN patient is an individual and our AN experiences are always different.  Apparently, your AN had grown to the point where it had severely affected your brainstem - with the resulting symptoms you described.  I have read that, if left untreated, this is exactly what can happen.  I also acknowledge, based on my own surgenon's statement, that an untreated acoustic neuroma tumor, due to it's location, can eventually kill you.  I'm very impressed with your recuperative powers and the great progress you've made in regaining facial mobility since your surgery. 

The only reservation some of had with your on-camera statement regarding your imminent demise is, due to the fact that acoustic neuroma tumors are rare in the general population, little is known about them - even to many physicians - and we don't wish to see misinformation being spread.  With the reach of the internet, misunderstandings can become 'facts' in a matter of days.  I believe that you probably were in danger of dying fairly soon had your AN not been discovered and treated, but the unequivocal statement that you had "two weeks to live" seemed a bit extreme, even taking into account your condition at the time.  For someone just diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma or their family/friends, to see a compelling AN patient, such as yourself, make that statement,  gives it immediate credibility.  The basically 'uninformed' person,( knowing little or nothing about acoustic neuroma tumors) then assumes they or their family member is just days away from certain death, when the AN patient in question may have a very small tumor and be nowhere near any danger of dying.  We see this happen on this forum; newly diagnosed AN patients - sometimes with very small, easily treatable tumors, almost paralyzed with fear that they are either going to die within weeks or 'become a vegetable' now that they have this AN thing in their head.  Yes, we can and do reassure them this is not the case but you can see how 'AN tumor equals rapid death' rumors can spread. 

This is the issue that motivated some of us, including myself, to question your on-camera statement that you only had two weeks to live.  We aren't doctors but we try to keep our statements factual and tend to question anyone with an acoustic neuroma tumor that seems to be exaggerating any facet of their condition, if it cannot be medically verified and has the potential to frighten other AN patients unnecessarily.  We all know that an acoustic neuroma tumor is serious and definitely can kill you, if left untreated.  That is a fact.  You likely were in danger of imminent death, but your unambiguous comment (in the video) of having "two weeks to live"' just seemed to be a bit over-dramatic, and our collective comments reflected our skepticism.  I can say without hesitation that I regret any misunderstanding that may have been generated by any of the comments made here relating to that particular issue ("two weeks to live") of the video as we admire your courage and splendid recovery from a very serious, life-altering medical crisis that we've all shared, in one way or another.

Our best wishes as you continue to recover and pursue your dreams, Renee.  We wish you well.  :)

Jim    
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2007, 10:10:28 am »

Hi renee ! Welcome !
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital