Author Topic: Docs response to one sided deafness - You have no disability  (Read 19945 times)

er

Re: Docs response to one sided deafness - You have no disability
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 05:10:22 pm »
Hi Kimbra,

I'm eve, In January of this year I got online to sign up for SSD because of all the issues I was having over my AN surgery and singlesided hearing. I collected all my medical information and explained my problems. I got my answer in 120 days that I was excepted. Good luck

Rc Moser

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 10:44:05 pm »
IMO anytime you are dealing with the SS on ability problem you to get any results you need to get a lawyer specializing in SSD's. He will will go over your condition and medical records to determine if you have a problem and he can make any money. He will also probably have Doctors that wasn't involved in your operation and have no bearing on your so called full recovery. IMO you will get no results without legal help.

All of us have different results based on our conditions. For one to say it's not a disablily not knowing what you had, how long you had it, what happen in the medical procedure, and your problems after the operation is red***las. Some people have great out comes and results an others struggle with daily functions. IMO size and procedures has nothing to do with your full recovery. IMO You will never be fully recovered. There's people on this forum that's on SSD. I would fire that doctor and go see someone else what have you got to loose, he already is convinced that you don't have a problem so your wasting your time and money seeing him.

IMO Start by doing your research by googling you conditions, www.vestibular.org. www.theblackriver.net cognitive aspects of vestibular disorders, www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/tumors/acoustic_neuroma.htm. are just a few to start.  also take the dizziness handicap inventory self-assessment at www.dizzyfix.com/selftest.html. this is a test to see how you score which will IMO show your problems and how you will never be 100% back to normal. IMO you are in a upward battle beings your problems arn't noticable like a leg or arm missing. You look normal and without research and documentation no one will believe you not knowing your daily habits and struggles.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 03:22:03 pm »
kkweiher:

I gather from your posts that you are not interested in quitting work at this time so applying for Social Security Disability is probably not an issue for you.

As you pointed out, your doctor (ENT) is the obstacle.  He refuses to sign a form that says you are permanently disabled because he considers you 'fully recovered' from your AN surgery. I'm speculating now, but I'll bet he doesn't want to put his signature on any document that might portray his work as not being totally successful.  Not to excuse the ENT,who sounds dense and stubborn, (these two personality traits seem to usually act in tandem) but this could simply be a matter of semantics.  As I previously stated, all of us suffering with SSD are handicapped.  Now, I consider my greatly diminished hearing a distinct disability - but, the law may not.  I suspect your doctor is looking at this issue and being legalistic, as some physicians tend to do.  He needs to understand what you are actually trying to achieve, which is not an 'award' from the Social Security Administration for being 'disabled' but a bit of financial help from your employers insurance, which, unfortunately, is called 'disability' insurance.  And there lies the crux of the conundrum.  Semantics.  'Disabled' having a much different meaning to the insurance company than it does to you or me.  The fact is that because the insurance company pays, their definition will probably stand and your current ENT is not going to sign anything that terms you 'disabled'. 

As an acoustic neuroma patient with Single Sided Deafness, I believe it is a disability.  As you correctly pointed out, your hearing isn't coming back.  Post-op symptoms can persist for years - and cause you to miss work.  I certainly have to believe this situation qualifies as a 'disability'.  Unfortunately, most insurance companies do not.  Apparently, your doctor does not.  The only viable course of action I can see is to find another, less rigid, doctor who can see beyond legalisms and testify to the fact that SSD and other post-op AN complications do qualify as a disability.    I truly hope you prevail.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.