Author Topic: Three Years Post-op MRI  (Read 3140 times)

Lisa Peele

Three Years Post-op MRI
« on: August 16, 2007, 10:49:57 am »
I had my 4+ cm AN removed June 14, 2004.  I had a follow-up MRI last week and it was completely clear...no enhancement of any kind.  I have no residual effects from the surgery (other than hearing loss on my affected side).  I had my surgery at the House Ear Clinic in L.A., where outcomes like mine are not so out-of-the ordinary.  There is no question that the size and location of acoustic neuromas affects treatment outcomes, but also no question that the expertise of the treating doctor or team has an enormous impact. 

I may not post often, but I visit this board almost daily.  I'm so glad this forum is here to provide information and support for all of us affected by AN.  I'm always on the look-out for someone who may need my help, and am always willing to "talk AN" and to share about my experience :)...
Lisa Peele, 38
Dublin, OH
4.3 cm X 3.3 cm (right)
Translab.
House Ear Clinic (Friedman and Hitselberger)
June 14, 2004

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Three Years Post-op MRI
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 01:38:27 pm »
Lisa,
  Congrats on the clear MRI! 
Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 02:34:13 pm »
Yay, Lisa!   ;D

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 04:36:21 pm »
Lisa:

Congratulations on a 'successful' 3-year MRI scan!  I love to read about AN patients who are doing well, post-treatment. 

I concur that the 'right' (experienced) surgical team is paramount in treating AN tumors and that size and placement are also major factors in treatment outcomes.  Obviously, you had the best team working on you and your 3-year MRI report validates that. 

Thanks for keeping up your interest in this forum and being willing to advise, console or just encourage other AN patients, Liza.  We all appreciate that.  Quality, not quantity are what always count the most.  ;)

Take care.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Desilu

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 07:15:49 pm »
Hi Lisa,

Glad that you are doing well! Another success story from House Ear Clinic! Life is good!  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

kippy6

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 09:35:17 pm »
So glad to hear the good news! Doesn't it feel great to get those MRI's and get the ALL CLEAR!

I'm guessing you had a 3-year post-op MRI b/c of the large size of your original tumor-- did they say why? I'm STILL learning. Did they say you will need any more MRI's in the future? I used the House Clinic as well, and one of my surgeons was the same as yours, but I'm supposed to get a 1 yr and 5 yr post-op MRI for follow up. Congratulations, and hope to see you on the board again soon.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 09:40:34 pm by kippy6 »
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

Lisa Peele

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 07:05:01 am »
I actually requested the MRI.  The plan for me was also a scan at 1 year out and again at 5 years out.  You may remember that I had a baby last year with Down Syndrome (Bridget...she's just amazing and we all adore her!).  However, having 5 children, including one with special needs, makes me ultra-sensitive to monitoring my own health.  A few months ago, I started having feelings and sensations that I have not had since before my surgery (a few headaches, fleeting chills, feelings like I couldn't breathe)...which caused some major anxiety, but ended up being related to sinus issues :).  It was reassuring to know that the MRI was clear, for many reasons.  What did you find out about the enhancement on your scan?
Lisa Peele, 38
Dublin, OH
4.3 cm X 3.3 cm (right)
Translab.
House Ear Clinic (Friedman and Hitselberger)
June 14, 2004

kippy6

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 05:57:23 am »
There was a HUGE mix-up with my MRI facility here in Georgia. It took weeks for them to be able to send the films to Dr. Brackmann. I understand that he likes to look at the physical films and not the computerized films. I should hear something this week from Dr. Brackmann.

Bottom line is that there is a spot on my left side. The MRI facility did not forward my MRI films (the ones from June 2006 w/my original AN tumor on the right side) that I brought from home  until days later to the radiologist. So the radiologist had to make an addendum to the report. The addendum says it looks like it has been there all the time (in the internal auditory canal), and it it has not gotten significantly bigger than last year. (What does that mean??) It also says it is likely an incidental finding. (Okay, so what is it?) So I'd just have some added comfort in knowing exactly what that small spot is on my left side, especially since the initial report (before the addendum) said it looked like a possible schwannoma tumor.

Dr. Brackmann has done an excellent job in communicating with me, and has sent me 2 letters regarding the reports that were faxed to him. I received his letters from California long before he ever received my MRI films. I'm just waiting on him to view the actual films.
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute