Author Topic: LP Shunt  (Read 2304 times)

jerseygirl

LP Shunt
« on: August 13, 2007, 06:07:46 pm »
I have an LP shunt implanted in 1988 by Dr. Wisoff at NYU after I came back many times with a lot of fluid under my incision, fevers and headaches (unrelieved by anything). I have a little fluid collecting under my new incision since last Saturday, almost 5 weeks post-op. Headaches are mild and completely relieved by Aleve. Fevers are mild -98.5 and Cipro helps. I  just spoke to him and he says it is unlikely to be a shunt because I have no abdominal pain and shunts don't last this long. He can see me on Sept.20 or I can go to emergency room if I get more fevers , fluid and headaches. Better yet, I should go back to my neurosurgeon and ask him what is the problem. That's that.

I also saw my PCP today and she also said that it is unlikely to be a shunt because I have no pain and Cipro helps. If it were a shunt, NOTHING would relieve my pain (that's what happened the last time) and the fact that CIPRO helps is encouraging.

Any ideas???

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.