Author Topic: Looking into Transear  (Read 4052 times)

threads12

Looking into Transear
« on: August 10, 2007, 06:31:30 am »
I've been exploring the Transear option after reading about it in the ANA newsletter, but both audiologists that I've talked to so far were unfamiliar with it.  Based on the information that I had with me, the second was not optimistic that it would give me much benefit.  I have complete unilateral hearing loss but good hearing on the other side.  The problems I described to the audiologist were location (of course!) and background noise.  I usually haven't had a problem in quiet settings, meetings, and lectures.   She said that nothing would help the location and that systems like the CROS and likely Transear can work against you in terms of background noise because it's increased on the good side.  She recommended an FM system with a transmitter & receiver. 

Have many of you experienced benefit with Transear in terms of background noise?

I had a 3 cm AN and had surgery in Oct. 2005.

Thanks!

Steph

Boppie

Re: Looking into Transear
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 01:05:49 pm »
If you are seeking only relief from background noise and direction location then you would not benefit from a hearing aid for SSD. 

My TransEAr allows me to more fully participate in conversations and social siuations where someone is on my deaf side speaking.  In a room full of loud talking and poor acoustics I prefer to shut down, turn off my TransEar, and put a sound reducing ear plug in my good ear.

So I would agree that you would want something besides a hearing aid.

Cynaburst

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 05:20:00 pm »
I agree with Boppy.  I don't think that the Transear is going to save you in noisy situations, but it will keep you from having to spin around every time someone speaks to you on the deaf side.  I have been SSD for over 5 years now, and I think I was doing pretty well, but I am finding some benefit from the Transear.  It is not the same as having hearing, and it has its limitations, but it sure beats nothing to help.

BTW, I have perfect hearing on my non-AN side, and nothing left on the AN Side.

Static

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 06:31:00 pm »
Boppie,
What do you use for a sound reducing earplug?  I definitely want to use something for that and am also interested in looking into a transear.  I talked to transear Rick at the Symposium.  I am definitely not a fan of having a surgically implanted post in my head and also, what was used to close up my head can be a problem with a baha implant.  Right now, anyway, I am mostly interested in sound reduction and haven't found anything that works comfortably. 
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 07:42:29 pm »
Until this past week I have used a regular orange plug which has a stiff insert to help insert it in my good ear.  This has worked fine in very noisy situations like a loud crowd or the grocery when the speaker gets too exuberant. 

Monday, I was fitted for a sound reducing plug with a personalized ear mold.  The whole piece will cost me $75.00  This is not a musicians ear plug that filters out piercing sounds from music.  With the plug in I can still hear a person right next to me, but the background is filtered out.  I don't know if plugs are recommended for use 24/7 though.  I felt a little strange about wearing the orange thing in my ear in public, too industrial looking.

I wear my TransEAr to church to get some aid on my deaf side, but sometimes I need the plug for my good ear, too!  Acoustics are not kind in large tall ceiling cathedrals. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 12:24:05 pm by Boppie »

Static

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 09:08:37 am »
I have a horrible time in churches.  I haven't worn a plug like that because of the way it looks also.  So you just went to that same person who fitted your transear for the sound reducing plug?
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Boppie

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 12:22:51 pm »
Static, Yes, my TransEar audiologist made a new mold for my good ear and ordered the sound reducing ear plug.  You can order a kit online and get a similar ear plug, but you have to use their kit to make your own mold.  I didn't want to use this route.