Author Topic: UPDATE  (Read 3130 times)

Shrnwldr

UPDATE
« on: August 02, 2007, 08:34:17 am »
Hi everyone,
Thought I would drop by and see how all is going.  Just an update.  It has been approximately 11 weeks since surgery.  I have returned to work and it is slow but moving right along.  The first week was rough in that I was pooped by the time I got home and wound up going to bed earlier than usual.  I find the corridors here a little daunting in that I feel like I am in a pin ball machine, bouncing off the walls as I walk down the corridor.  My one sided hearing is at times funny because I don't hear people coming up behind me and therefore jump everytime someone comes up behind me. 

I did go on a wonderfully awesome road trip to the state of Washington with my dear sisters.  We stopped at Hearst Castle... WOW what a place!!!!  And then drove up the coast of California and Oregon before heading northeast to Wenatchee to visit relatives.  All in all it was very relaxing.

Oh yes another milestone....  my nephew's wedding was July 21st and I danced at the reception! Yes danced   was that fun! 

Outside of some really minor issues I am doing really well..  No serious complications unless you count memory, but that is a whole other issue!

All of you on here really really really helped me recover.  I appreciate all your support and encouragement. Thank you.
God Bless all ~ Sharon
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

Shrnwldr

Re: UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 08:55:03 am »
Oh I keep forgetting about two other 'issues'.  My right side (AN side) is dry.... no really moistness at all... don't even have tears...  The other, which is really annoying is this "taste" in my mouth. 
Sometimes food is really really salty and my taste buds are really distorted.  Most food is really unappearling. 

They are such minor annoyances and I am grateful that my surgery was so successful.
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 01:49:18 pm »
Sharon,

Very happy to read your recovery is going so well and that you are back to working even though you are more exhausted.  With time I know you will regain more energy.  A good post for all of us here to let us know even with surgery there are good outcomes. 

The dry eye and funny mouth tastes are something I too experience.  I use eye drops during the day and GenTeal Gel (very thick) before going to bed.  This helps alot.  As for the taste experience well it is what it is and probably will go by the wayside as time heals all. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 03:22:14 pm »
Hi Sharon:  I echo what Karen (Arushi) said + I can't stress enough the importance of keeping your eye moist to prevent cornea problems - this is imperative.   
I use Refresh PM every 2-4 hours (my eye makes tears but because I can't blink they're useless).   If you don't feel the burning from the dry eye, you need to routinely put in drops or lubricant.   You can also ask your optomologist about drops called Restasis that help promote tear production, or punctual plugs that make tears - this until your eye begins to tear on its own.   I also go every 2-3 months to my eye doc so he can check my cornea.   As far as taste - I'm with ya - 13 months out & I still can't taste most foods - what I seem to taste most is veggies.  Otherwise, sounds like you're right on track - the balance gets better & better; it took me over a year to start getting energy back.   Be patient, the journey is just beginning.  Always good thoughts Sharon,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 04:02:38 pm »
Hey Sharon, So nice to hear from you. 

For comparison...my AN eye does not cry and my nose still runs when I eat.  My taste sensation thing is almost normal, now.  I am 19 monlths post op and my tumor was 2cmX1.5cmX1cm.  Sometimes my tongue goes crazy on the surface and I use Biotene moisture drops that help.  Lately my only complaint is dry throat and tongue at night.  I can remember in the first year being most upset about my taste buds and tongue problems.  I've given up being the night owl I was pre op.  I always get my 8 hours now and have energy for every day with an occasional cat nap.

It gets better, and as we posties say "at least the worst is behind us".

I am back to exercises and worrying about real old age stuff like osteo.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 08:42:24 pm by Boppie »

Desilu

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 08:24:52 pm »
Hi Sharon,

Sounds like we have another success story going on here, Congratulations!
Just give yourself some more time to heal. I wasn't able to produce tears for over 2 or 3 months and then one day while watching a very touching story on T.V. I started to cry, when I realized that tears were flowing down both of my cheeks, I cried even more! Hang in there, it will get better!  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 12:12:17 pm »
Hi, Sharon:

Thanks for the update.  It was very encouraging! 

I was pleased to read about another 'postie' with only minor (but annoying) post-op complications.  I'm almost a year ahead of you in recovery and I can assure you that most of your issues will resolve themselves in time.  I still have a very minor 'dry eye' condition (no drops needed) and a few small spots of intermittent and superficial 'numbness' on my tongue and lip that I simply ignore.  My surgeon said these should disappear as the nerves heal.   Hang in there - and please be patient.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.