Author Topic: headache/neck pain  (Read 8589 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
headache/neck pain
« on: July 31, 2007, 02:46:15 pm »
I have been good for past couple days... haven't had to take more than a tylonal... I got up this
morning with alot of neck pain on AN side... fills as it neck is being crushed... the pain has migrated
up back of head and the whole right ( AN)  side of my head is pounding... it is like a thumping from
inside my skull and in neck just under jawbone every time my heart beats... I have taken the maximum
doses of hydrocodone every four hours and it isn't touching it ... did get in a hot shower and that helped
a little ... called surgeon and he said it is probably from the neck muscles being strained during surgery
and should subside but if they haven't go to local ER or come to his office (2 hours away)  tomorrow

I am 4 weeks out ... is it unusual for this to happen now ... neck was stiff for about a week after
surgery and only had some stiffness since... no pain... this has been at times as bad as when I first
came out of surgery... any one have suggestions ???

I just took a dose of hydrocodone ...going to take another shower and then try to go to sleep... any
helps or ideas would be greatly appreciated
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: headache/neck pain
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 03:38:07 pm »
Soundy,

Try a combination of therapies.  1.  See if you can tolerate lying on tennis balls placed together in a sock.  Put this under your head/neck location and conciously relax the head, face, neck, mouth and tongue muscles.  All the while you are doing this breathe slowly.  If you feel any sort of tenderness or pain while doing this, stop as sometimes you can create greater pain by just pressing on the tissue.  2.  If you have tiger balm or oil of eucalyptus, lavender rub this on neck, head and incision site, temples too.  3.  Accupressure points on the large toe, more specifically the inside edge.  Press around the big toe area until you feel "the spot" and then hold this (it will be painful, but safe to do) until the pain subsides.  All the while doing this relax the head muscles, face, mouth and tongue.  Close your eyes and breathe very slowly.  4.  Put your neck through some stretches.  Chin to chest then reverse, chin to ceiling; chin to nipple then reverse; ear to shoulder (try to keep opposite should down) then reverse; look left, then right.  Next sit on the floor with legs extended.  Place a large pillow on top of thighs.  Forward bend into the pillow resting your forehead on the pillow (might need two pillows if your hamstrings aren't supple).  Breathe slowly and hold this position for 1-5 minutes. 

Hope this helps.  There isn't any one "thing" when it comes to alternative, but sometimes a combination of a few really helps.
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 11:16:27 pm »
Sorry you are going through this pain. Hope you feel better soon.

Sometimes I use a product called Thermacare for neck stiffness and head pain. It is a warm disposable pad that is activated when you take it out of the package. You tape it to the skin and it provides continuous heat for 8-12 hours. I put it on the neck -shoulder area under my clothes on the affected side. I've tried other brands, but Thermacare works better. (One brand caused my skin to blister.) It can be purchased at a drug or grocery store. I wear them on long airplane flights, at night when my neck is bothering me or anytime I feel the muscles tightening despite me trying to keep them relaxed.

Janet
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

Soundy

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 04:34:27 am »
Feeling a bit better ... don't think I will need ER today...

I go thru some neck stretches that I did when I had a neck/back injury several years back
and they help ...except anything that brings my chin toward my chest ...that brings
a stab of pain to back of head...

I used some hot compresses and rubbed absorbine Jr into neck and up back of head last
night and that helped some... also learned rubbing and putting light pressure on temple of
AN side helped  ... now have just a slight head ache and my neck is a bit stiff and some pain...
also a bit wobbly and dizzy this morning ... and unbelievably tired even after sleeping
thru the night

Thanks for input... I will keep suggestions in mind in case this happens again
Translab July 2 ,2007

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 10:18:34 am »
Sounds like you had a "neck migraine" yes it is even listed in my headache book. I get these suckers alot. The first thing I do is try to de-inflame the area with an ice pack for a while. I also use a rolled up towel to support my neck and take any pressure off the vertabrae. By the time it crawls up to the back of my head it's time for a shot of Imitrex for me. Hydocodone does crap for a true migraine hence my amatuer diagnosis. Time for a triptan.

Along with the chronic migraines I got from having my AN scooped out, I also have degenerative disc disease (from being older'n dirt) and I have alot of neck issues. I bought a Thermaphore heating pad after surgery, the really big one, and for just neck pain without the throbbing back of head thing I lay on the bed and get nekkid and put this sucker along my whole back and it gives you a moist heat treatment.  I'm also an Icy-hot Patch Junkie--these things are great for when I need to work and move around a bit cuz they stick on like a remora!  They make you smell funky though.

Hope this helps!

Be well and Sail On! ;D

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 04:46:43 pm »
You could try a shot of Botox.

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Soundy

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 11:21:33 am »
Soundy...

One thing my wife likes to use when her neck gets stiff and sore is an athletic sock filled with dry rice and tied off at the open end. She heats it up in the microwave for about a minute, and then take it out and drapes it around her neck. I've never tried it, but she finds it quite comforting. Anyway, maybe that would help you as well. Just a thought...  Hope you feel better.

Bruce

I have an aroma therapy pack I had made at health food store for migraines ... it is rice that has been infused with lavender , rosemary , and other essential oils ... I started to get it out but didn't because although it makes my migraines better it also tends to make me sneeze... and sneezing right now is not something I want to do... but the rice in is good because it will form around what ever part of body you put it ... neck shoulder or what ever...my 8 year old made a snake named Sammy that is filled with rice in a sock... I may have to go find him
Translab July 2 ,2007

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 02:22:57 pm »
OK so my neck has been bothering the pi$$ outta me for a month because I have been hard at work in the studio which involves alot of head swiveling from puter screen to palette to painting and I have degenerative disc disease anyway. Worsened post surgery and damaged disc during surgery.  Been using tramadol and hydrocodone when the pain got unbearable a couple times a week. Starting last week my ulcer (diagnosed 3 years ago from too much ibuprophen, etc due to headaches) started acting up so started Nexium again.  Lots of reflux and sore throat. Sunday it got really bad, horrible stomach cramps-- and I thought maybe it had perforated so I went to the ER, where I spent 8 hrs, got shot up with multitudes of strange stuff including morphine, poked, proded, and X-rayed.

So now I have an appt with my GI doc tomorrow who will probaby want to shove the old garden hose down my pie hole again to take a peek at the nasty little bugger, meanwhile my neck feels like its got a red hot poker stuck in it.
So I have an appt with the Ortho doc in a few weeks too.  I'm going to ask the tummy doc about some sorta transdermal pain gizmo to get me through till the tummy heals or I can see the ortho doc, cuz my neck is triggering some nasty head stuff as well.

It seems the one doc prescribes stuff that heal you of the malady he's resposible for, only the side effects from the meds make you sick in a different area so you hafta go to someone else to get help in that area. What a can of worms!

Can you tell I am not having a good day?

GGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Capt Deb >:(

Mary 117

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 04:59:36 pm »
Yup, Cap'n Deb is not having a good day. Put your hands in the paint and smear it everywhere. messy is good sometimes

I wondered about the "neck Headache". I would get neck pain, then I would go to the chiropractor, and I would still have terrible neck pain and then the rotten headache. Now I know that the neck pain is a precursor to the full-blown nasty headache. I talk Maxalt mlt.(they literally melt in your mouth-not that they taste very good). It helps. I might try the heat on the neck- who knows.

Hang in there!
Mary
2cm AN, Middle Fossa, HEI, Dr. Brackmann  05-24-05

2cm x 1.5cm AN, Middle Fossa, Dr. Brackmann  05/24/05
Mild hearing loss, mild facial weakness, no balance issues

"well behaved women seldom make history"

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 05:07:00 pm »
Hey Cap'n,

Well you've answered my question regarding how you were doing with your meds for the heads.  Really sorry to hear about your ordeal, especially with the tummy.  I must be very careful also in that area as I use ibuprofen and have had scare in my tummy since I was 10 from ulcer.  Yea, seems like two steps forward and one back in the "postie" stage of AN's--sheesh! 

1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 05:49:08 pm »
OK just saw the tummy doc and I'm set up for ye olde garden hose in the pie hole tomorrow at the crack of noon--the doc is giving me his lunch hour cuz he thing somethings amiss.  Maybe I swallowd something funny when I was wolfing down the popcorn at "3:10 to Yuma." Have been sick as a pup since then. He doesn't blame the tramadol I take for the neck pain I get from head swiveling from degenerating disc (yes I know I'm a degenerate)while I work. Disability people say I'm fit to work which I"m NOT, but I have to, to pay my ins and medical bills which are caused by working--Catch-22 anyone?

Wish me luck at 12:00--I won't feel a thing--been through the drill already!

Capt Deb 8)

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 09:57:11 pm »
Hey Capt Deb,

I've been waiting to read your posts.  I hope all is well.  I miss your daily comentaries.  With Bruce at school and the terrible loss of Windsong I feel the forum has gotten smaller.  Come on Capt Deb send me sign that you are back at it. 

I started the topamax Tuesday night and 500 mg of naproxen twice a day and I have to say I finally have some relief.  Waiting for the weight loose.  What a terrible side effect 8)  The neurologist laughed.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 04:31:39 pm »
see "cervicogenic headaches" under "surgical solution" for headache/neck pain!

Capt Deb