Author Topic: 2 year post surgery date!  (Read 2879 times)

Desilu

2 year post surgery date!
« on: July 30, 2007, 06:57:36 pm »
Dear Friends,

Today (July 26th, I'm a couple of days late!) is my 2-year post surgery date.  Other than being two years older, I am feeling just fine.  This is the first time in about 8 years that I have not had an MRI of my brain. I have not had any problems since my initial surgery and 8-week recovery other than tinnitus (ringing in the ear) and mild hearing loss. If I had to do this all over again, I would not change a thing.

The ANA has a willing to talk list, which consists of individuals who have had an AN and have been treated with surgery, or radiation.  I am honored to be one of those individuals on that list.  I have received emails and phone calls from others who have been newly diagnosed.  It's a very stressful time for these people and speaking from experience, I can totally understand where they are coming from.  Through phone conversations and emails I have been able to give useful information, suggestions and offer encouragement to these people who are just beginning their AN journey.  I have met others from across the United States and have developed some wonderful friendships.

On a lighter note, I was looking for a new car this year and wasn't really sure about a car I had picked out until the salesman told me that the color was called Sharkskin and the interior was called Titanium.  Who would have guessed that the three bands of metal holding my head together were Titanium?  I purchased the car and am very happy with my decision.

As the doctor has order, I am to have another MRI in 3 years. I am confident that this will be a routine check up.  If all goes well, I plan to go out to HEI for that 4 year check up.  I hope that my doctors, Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger don't retire before then.  My doctors were great!  If only more doctors were like them.  God has given them a gift and they are using it to help others.  I thank God that I chose them to do my surgery!

Once again, I want to thank all of you for praying for me and being my friend.  I continue to pray for all of you.  This AN journey that I have been on has helped me to grow as a person both mentally and spiritually.  God is Good!      Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

kippy6

Re: 2 year post surgery date!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 05:28:47 pm »
I'm so very happy for you. Your positive attitude shines through. We have to not ask "why?" but "What can I learn from this?" You do sound like you have used your experience to become a better person. So glad you are feeling well! I know it will be a wonderful feeling visiting Dr. Brackman at your 4 or 5 year check-up, knowing that it will be more of a pleasure trip on that visit!
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

Desilu

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 06:08:48 am »
Hi Kippy6,

I see that you had the same doctors as me. I thought they were just wonderful. We are about one year apart on surgery dates. How are you feeling? I just received a letter from Dr. Brackmann and he said that he has no intentions of retiring and that he is working as hard as ever and still enjoys what he is doing. I plan to see them for my 4 year check-up how about you? Thank you for your response.  Ann

HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 05:09:18 pm »
Hi Ann, congrats:-) You're obviously a tough cookie! Take care, Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 02:28:45 pm »
Hi, Ann;

I'm always pleased to read of another AN patient who has had a basically positive experience, so I really appreciated your post.

You clearly have a good perspective on your 'AN experience', which is admirable - and encouraging to others. 

Thanks for sharing your experiences - and for being our friend.   The friendship is mutual and valued by all of us, I'm sure.   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Desilu

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 04:38:08 pm »
Thank you everyone for your kinds words! We are all in this together. I feel very Blessed to be doing so well, and only wish that more of us would have great outcomes! Thanks again,  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa