Author Topic: unusual feeling inside head  (Read 5003 times)

gms

unusual feeling inside head
« on: July 27, 2007, 09:24:44 pm »
 I had a 2.5 cm AN removed July 2004, I a had the translab approach and I am Deaf in my right ear. The past two years or so, I've experienced unusual sensations in my head on the affected side.  It's hard to describe,  but it almost feels like an empty throbbing-pulsating type feeling.  It is very annoying and seems to occur when I'm tired or nervous about something.  If anyone out there can relate, please let me know.  I know people who lose a part of their body, like arm or leg, can have what is called phantom limb pain or sensation, and I wonder if this is similar to that., but in my stiuation, my ear is trying to hear, but can't.  Thanks for reading. I hope someone can help me. 

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: unusual feeling inside head
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 02:57:59 pm »
Hi gms:  I started having something similar to that - I'm not sure how long ago it started - maybe 3 mos (I'm 13 mos. post op).  Every few days or so I experience a pulsating whoosh sound (no other way to describe it) that feels like it's located dead center at the back of my head from top to bottom.   It is in addition to the constant tinnitus in my AN ear.  It happens any time of the day or night - upon awakening, in the evening.  After maybe 3 minutes it stops.   No idea what it is, don't know if it's what you're experiencing.    Take care,  Nancy
ps: lately I've also been getting, in addition to the constant tinnitus, a sound in the AN ear almost like a can of sand being shook.  (I've got a whole cornucopia of sounds going on !).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 04:49:42 am by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

mema

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 04:39:11 pm »
Hi gyms,                                                                                                                                                                                   

It seems that we all have different types of symptoms going on as well as common ones too.  For myself the movement I get in my head started out feeling like a wave starting at the base of my neck and going to the mid-top of my head It then changed somewhat to a feeling of a worm inching through my head from my An side to about the center of my head.  I always thought it was nerve damage and my doc last visit kind of confirmed it.  But in my situation it only happens at the onset of sleep.  I do get pins and needles in my head often.  I was recently on mobic for another ailment and it helped these spasms in my head  as well as my headaches.  I went off the mobic because it was causing my eyes to burn, and my headaches and head nerve spasms came back.                                                   

mema                                                                                                       
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

redgrl

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 08:11:07 pm »
I've had similar feelings myself. My worst though is getting a throbbing pain behind my ear. It hurts like crazy and comes and goes. Do you have anything like that?
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 09:22:37 pm »
Head and skull sensations... I've had plenty...squiggling, bug crawling sensations, sore hair, feeling as if there is a pin point sore and then finding nothing, fleeting scalp pains, and sore spots where the incision knots work themselves to the surface.  The strange sensations come and go.  Most of it I attribute to nerves healing in the incision and missfires in the scalp muscles that run up the back of the head.  Sometimes I stop the sensations with a gentle scalp moving massage all over.  Sometimes the massage makes me dizzy.   ::)

Crystal

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 08:13:43 pm »
I have one anoying thing that happens often.  Every time I get startled I hear a buzzzt in my AN side; an actual sound and sensation as if my ear was buzzed by a bee.  I hate it but am getting used to it.  I am completely deaf in that ear otherwise, except for occasional tinitus.
Dr. Chang - Stanford U - April 2004 Cyberknife 15mm X 12mm
Dr. Schwartz and Doctor Luxford - House Ear Clinic - Dec 2006 Translab 19.1mm X 15mm

jimmy r

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 07:18:02 pm »
I had the exact some throbbing when i was stressed like when soemone cuts you off on the highway and you get really mad. It was a very occasional thing for 20 years.
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 01:25:23 pm »
Well, I'm just glad that other people have a hard time describing all the crazy stuff that goes along with having an AN.  I had radiosurgery (GK) and I have various sensations going on around my ear and in my head and I haven't even talked with my family about it because it seems the English language doesn't have the right words to describe it all! If THAT even makes any sense.

Sometimes I have a bit of pressure/mild pain somewhere around my ear.  When I'm tired I sometimes get a sensation on my AN side that feels like it's inside my head that is kind of that sloshing/thripping-throbbing*/shuddering kind of feeling that lasts a second or two.  Like the alien in my head (although sprung from our own cells, it's now an Alien thing) has shifted position or something. Ewwwwwww!  Okay, that doesn't happen. I don't think. Anyway...I am pretty sure it's just nerve stuff going on...but it's disconcerting nonetheless. And I guess, for me, it sort of leaves me speechless, because I have a really hard time describing all this nervy junk going on. It's just weird, I tell ya, weird.  Mostly it's very subtle and mostly mildly annoying...and greatly frustrating.

*See, a new word - thripping. ;)

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 04:32:13 pm »
Sue,
I like the new word "thripping"  kind of descibes a lot of things!!!
Brendalu :-*
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 07:51:53 pm »
Chirping + Throbbing = Thripping??   :D

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode