Author Topic: Post Treatment - Gamma Knife  (Read 7157 times)

jerry.torres

Post Treatment - Gamma Knife
« on: March 02, 2005, 03:58:12 pm »
I was diagnosed with a 7mm AN in my right side and on February 18th went for treatment at the University of Virginia with Dr. Steiner. The procedure overall,  was straight-forward.  I did not have any difficultiies with the headgear.  I was in the Gamma Unit for approximately 40 mins and received a max dosage of 20 gy.  I would like to say that Dr. Steiner is highly experienced and his staff were great.  He was always ever present overseeing and approving the process.  He also took the time to ensure all my concerns and questions were resolved/answered.  After the procedure, I was taken to my hospital room and fed an excellent meal.  (For more information go to UVAgammaknife.com). The next morning I was discharged and went home.  However, later that day my stomach was feeling quizzy and I also noticed my balance was off somewhat (vertigo).  I did not have this before the procedure, but attributed it to the reaction of the tumor to the radiation and the pressure on the balance nerve.  For the next few days, my stomach improved, but I still had the balance issue.  Only recently it appears to slowly improve, although on occasion I find myself walking off balance.   I now have to wait for my followup MRI in Aug.

centimeter

Re: Post Treatment - Gamma Knife
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 12:13:01 am »
Hi
  There is a person on the ANAWAY ( acoustic neuroma awareness@yahoogroups.com ) site who is working on a support group just for those who have had GK. She or I will post a link when it is ready. Should be a few days.

C

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 10:01:03 am »
I too am a Gamma Knife patient from the University of Virginia...  I have the same comments about Dr. Steiner and his staff.  Great Hospital.  Looking forward to the new board, please update us when it's up...thanks!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 01:55:28 pm by GM »
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

kbwright

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 04:34:26 pm »
I had the gamma knife treatment on March 14th. Within 12 hours after the procedure I had significant hearing loss, fortunately it cleared up within a couple days. Just in the last few days the imbalance and dizzy episodes have increased. I am waking up dizzy and not getting any relief. Before the treatment it did not feel this strong.

Any advise, suggestions on getting back to normal? I need some exercise!
KB

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 09:33:01 pm »
KB,

You may be experiencing temporary swelling of the tumor from the radiation.  Dr. Steiner told me that happens in 35% of the patients.  I have heard of many ways to help with the vertigo, the most popular are herbal supliments and eliminating coffee (one of my favorite morning beverages), and nicotine...these are also supposed to help with the tinitus.

One of the tricks I was taught (when I had my balance tests and had vertigo from the test), was to concentrate on looking at my finger (holding my left hand in front of me with my index finger extended)...it gave my brain a reference point.  As odd as that sounds it worked until my brain got back on track.  If you had a balance test (hot/cold water in your ear), you know what I mean.

You may have to ask someone else on the site about the herbal supps...but I hope this helps.  Just know that we are here for ya! 

Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

kbwright

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 01:49:53 pm »
I am almost 1 month out from the Gamma Knife treatment. The symptoms/side effects change every couple days. Last night I woke up with a very high pitched ringing in my ear. I now have about a 90% hearing loss in the affected side. Prior to the treatment my hearing was fine. The first night after the treatment I had this same reaction, but it cleared up with in a couple days. I am hoping it will again.

Is there anything to take to decrease the tinnitus? And is there anything that can be done to treat the swelling? At this point I am not sure which doctor to consult.... family doc? ENT? or Neurosurgeon?

Overall my attitude is great... but there are days when I just want to feel normal again. I realize that I may have to create a "new normal".

Becky

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 02:10:17 pm »
Are you taking steroids to help with the temporary swelling that can occur after radiosurgery?  It might help.

Best wishes,
Becky

kbwright

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 04:16:26 pm »
Becky,
Did you take steroids for the swelling? What was prescribed for you? I would think that if we could reduce the swelling we would experience less side effects.

Thanks for the response,
KB

Becky

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 06:14:42 am »
KB,
I was given Prednisone 10 days prior to surgery, and Decadron while in the hospital.  These were given to me to reduce swelling, both pre-surgery and during the procedure.  I know that steroids are used for both radiosurgery and microsurgery patients.  The steroids made my 'hyper'.  Many people experience side effects, but they can work wonders.

Becky