Author Topic: On Edge All The Time  (Read 7881 times)

Boppie

Re: On Edge All The Time
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2007, 09:34:24 pm »
Hey Girls, It sounds like some additional symptoms of the magic change over to me.  In addition to AN post treatment depression are you going into and through peri menopause?  This time between 49 and 56 threw me for a huge loop.  Thank goodness I got through all of that before my AN showed up.  I look back and say I am glad I got off the HRT but at the time it saved my kids, and husband from the iron skillet!  :D

Catflower

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2007, 08:15:20 am »
There's no hormonal issues for me.  I had a hysterectomy 18 years ago.  I wish it was hormonal because there's HRT.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2007, 11:39:05 am »
I think all of us carry a little Post Traumatic Stress  from the ordeal of having an AN.  My brother is a PTSD Vietnam Vet on total disability due to it and I'm a hurricane survivor/refugee so I'm pretty familiar with the symptoms. A google search will give you a good overview of symptoms/treatment. 

Feeling like the other shoe is about to drop is a good indicator. The best treatments I've found are anti-depressant meds, exercise, and trying not to think too much by keeping my hands busy--like a craft or artwork or pounding the keys on this discussion forum!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 12:14:46 pm »
Capt Deb,
I like that post tramtic stress syndrome.  It really does sum things up.  People who have had heart attacks, the big C word, brokens limbs (been there 2 yrs ago) anything that changes their lives abruptly and drastically suffer from ptss.  AN people included.
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2007, 11:22:32 pm »
I agree with Capt Deb also.  No hormonal issues for me either.  Am only 45, but went through menopause at 32 (lucky me)  ;D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lorenzo

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2007, 11:48:24 pm »
For me it's like a pattern: get up feel great (mostly), go through the day and start feeling a bit tired, as the day goes on, so does the edginess. By the time mid afternoon arrives I can flip for any reason. If one adds stress to that, it can make for a lethal mixture. I'm still learning to control it... it's haaaaard at times! Then oother times it comes in real handy, having a bit of a wobbler! :) Thing is, I was NEVER like that before, so it must have something to do with the AN and treatment and PTSS. Can't blame the menopause either! :)  Oh, one way to lessen my late afternoon flip is to have a nap; a rest seems to numb my brain sufficiently to calm it down again.

Ciao, Lorenzo

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 11:35:11 am »
Lorenzo -

glad to hear it's not menopause in your case either LOL

I think you're correct about the tiredness, followed by the stress, being the trigger.  I've certainly noticed that in my case.

Good to know naps help.  I'm having a difficult time sleeping during the night, but maybe if I can conquer that problem, my edginess will improve.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Richey

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2007, 01:29:42 pm »
Hey, I know there are many people who have times that they act the way you describe that don't have AN connected problems. Stress gets to everyone and some handle it better. My daugterinlaw has chrons and she really snaps sometimes.

But to your question about xanex. My ear doctor said it would help with tinnitus so he put me on it a couple of years ago. .5mg twice a day. I do think it helps a little and it calms the nerves a little too. I tried coming off of it a couple of times and I could tell the difference. I was still working when I tried coming off because I felt like I was too dependent on it but the plant doctor did some good explaining to me about drugs and addictive personalities and recognizing that I have to live with the problems connected with this AN and the GK treatment that I chose. I have retired recently and I miss the plant doc, he actually took up a lot of time with me trying to help me understand things.

One good thing about xanex is that it's very cheap.

I have found that I do better overall when I get more rest and keep my stress level down. Of course sometimes things happen to increase stress that we have little control over.
Hang in there and keep giving it you best effort.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2007, 08:03:27 am »
Being tired or stressed sets me off... and unfortunately my family catch the brunt of it ... My surgeon warned
me that after the "it's over " relief right after surgery ,depression and anger can set in because although the
tumor is gone you are not over it ... you are just in a new phase of treatment and often a phase that
is worse than when the tumor was still in your head...
also called it PTSS and equated it to someone getting over a stroke in many patients...

The Nortriptyline prescribed at bedtime to keep me asleep has added benefits for me... it is an anti-depressant
and is also used in migraine prevention so I have been less edgy since taking it and have been able to get off
the toprol
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

lori78

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2007, 04:49:45 pm »
Hi--

I hear ya (with one ear, ha?!) I was so edgy post second surg, but as a therapy student getting therapy, meds, etc I've really had to ask myself "Is this an anger phase?  Is it steroids?  etc.  SO frustrating when it can indeed be a multiple of things.... I was in a car accident (not my fault, whew!) and had diving phobia as it is, let alone more from the accident.  Lexapro and ativan help lots.  Cymbalta did nothing for me...  For now.  But put me on steroids and the Incredible Hulk sings Green out of my eyes!  :)  I am reminded of my folks w MS, (I work as a music therapist) who have such unpredictable symptoms..... It's been 7 mos post surg, starting to get 'zaps' and twinges, which give me hope and take the edge off a little.  I am 29, had a 3.5 cm forming a "C" in my brain stem.  Must rememeber the positives.  Best to you.
Lori, Left AN,  2 translab surgeries and GK radiation, 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm, Dr. Singh Sahni and Drs Fred and Wayne Schia, Chippenham Johnston-Willis, Richmond, VA. Deaf in left, temp paralysis post surg 1/07

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2007, 03:08:18 pm »
I was always somewhat impatient, even before my diagnosis and surgery/radiation.  The AN experience didn't improve that trait.  My angelic wife tells me that I was almost insufferable in the weeks immediately following my discharge from the hospital.  She was actually concerned that I had undergone a (negative) personality change due to the AN surgery.  My 'crabby' attitude and hyper-impatience eventually subsided and I'm back to normal, today, 14 months later.  I'm not totally 'mellow' but not as quick to snap at any little thing, either.  I'm also still married.   ;)

I never considered taking medication to control my moods but I can't say the medications aren't effective, as many folks have found great relief in them, especially where depression is a factor.   I try to maintain a positive attitude, which really helps me keep a balance.  Sure, things annoy me and I can flare up at minor inconveniences, as I always did, but I've trained myself to let petty things go and to drop my anger over things that I can't change or that anger can't change.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.