Author Topic: On Edge All The Time  (Read 7886 times)

Catflower

On Edge All The Time
« on: July 25, 2007, 09:30:39 am »
Since my AN surgery in April I find that I feel like I'm always "on edge".  I feel nervous and anxious most of the time and the smallest things make me angry.  Does anyone else feel like this?

tuckerro

Re: On Edge All The Time
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 10:08:06 am »
I have experienced similar results.  I am a little too quick to fly off the handle at my better half or the kids.  Sometimes they have to just tell me to take a step back, and then I realize that i'm being a little much.
----------------------------------------------------
14x7 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
September 26, 2006

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 11:31:01 am »
Yes, yes, yes !!!    It comes & goes like waves.   I try to catch myself so I don't do/say anything that would get me in deep doodoo.
I totally understand.   Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jeanlea

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 01:15:38 pm »
I've had similar problems.  It's like I have no patience.  The worst of it is directed to my family. I'm working on chilling.  It has gotten better over time.  I'm nearly two years post-op now.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 03:30:22 pm »
I feel the exact same way.  I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.  I hold everything together at work but I come home I'm brutal.

Anne Marie

P.S.  I don't cry much any more because I'm on happy pills
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 07:33:01 pm »
Wow.......we can start a club!  I take lamectal to help the moods.  I can direct the anger at anyone and everyone.  Never used to be like that.  Everyone runs for cover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  July 28th will be my two year milestone and I really thought that this would get better.  Anxiety attacks, panic attacks, you name it I have it.  Everytime I have another test run, I barely breathe until I get the results.  Not fun.
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

BB

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 08:24:39 pm »
WAS COURIOUS ABOUT CYMBALTA, IS IT AN ANTI DEPRESSANT?  I WONDER HOW MANY OF US ARE ON MEDICENE FOR  FOR DEPRESSION OR ANXIETY ATTACKS, PRE AND POST SURGERY.  JUST GETTING READY TO GO TO MY DOCTOR FOR ANXIETY PROBLEMS.  I WAS PUT ON XANEX FOR JUST ONE MONTH, UNTIL THE DOCTOR  TRIES TO FIND SOMETHING TO WORK FOR ME, THAT DOESN'T MAKE MY BALANCE PROBLEM ANY WORSE.  PRE SURGERY I DID NOT RESPOND TO SEVERAL OF THE DEPRESSION MEDICENES.  SORRY SO MANY MISTAKES. BAD COMPUTER DAY FOR ME.  EYE'S ARE NOT WORKING GREAT.  WISH WE HAD SPELL CHECK.  ANY HOPE?  BB

BB

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 09:04:46 pm »
THANKS BRUCE FOR THE INFO.  JUST TRYING TO GET INFORMATION TO TAKE INTO THE DOCTOR ON WHAT I  MIGHT TRY.  I KNOW EVERYONE HAS TALKED ABOUT DIFFERENT MED'S THEY HAVE USED, AND WAS GOING TO TALK TO THE DOCTOR ABOUT A VARITY OF MED'S TALKED ABOUT ON THE WEB SITE. I KNOW EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.  WHAT WORKS FOR ONE, MAY NOT WORK FOR ANOTHER.  SO MANY OF THEM CAUSED MY EYE PROBLEM TO BE WORSE.  HAS ANYONE STAYED ON XANEX FOR A WHILE?  LIFE AT HOME HAS BEEN VERY STRESSFULL, HOPE IT CALMS DOWN SOON, SO TEMPTED TO STAY ON WHAT I AM TAKING FOR A BIT LONGER AND MAYBE THINGS WILL CALM DOWN.  WOULD LIKE NOT TO TAKE ANYTHING, BUT SEEMS LIKE WITH ALL THE AN ISSUES AND LIFE PROBLEMS IT MIGHT BE HARD.  ANYWAY THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE.  BB

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 10:26:49 pm »
Know the "on the edge" feeling all too well.  Have also been a little "short" with my kids lately.  I'm attributing it to fatigue; am now about 8 weeks postop and while I was fairly energetic when I returned to work full-time a couple of weeks ago, I'm finding that the last few days I'm exhausted.  I think some of my tiredness is due to getting back to my normal life - mowing the lawn (quite a dizzying experience that I didn't anticipate), driving more (rather than being driven), doing household chores that were being down for me (laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc.)  I'm trying to get more sleep, but haven't been too successful.  Hoping that this too shall pass  ;D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 07:48:14 am »
I lose my patience with folks (mostly my kids) when I become fatigued. I'm a bit quicker and sharper to boot...

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

Denise

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 01:28:16 pm »
Me too.
But, as i get further along in my AN journey, I find I am getting "used" to myself and my limitations and it is getting easier, and I feel less crabby and on edge.
Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

Crystal

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 05:19:43 pm »
Hi Cat,

Rather than on edge I find that occasionally I get up in the morning and feel like I can't cope with anything and get very anxious.  I feel deaf, inadequate, and a little desparate because my brain won't work! The tinitus kicks up a knotch and I start to get way off balance as well as the nagging metalic taste increasing.

As the snowball rolls down the hill a little voice in my head reminds me that the tumor could come back, and I have to go in for an MRI in december, and I don't want to do those MRI's ANY MORE!!!!!

But then I have really good days too.  We just have to allow ourself to be human.   Some of us get anxious, some get angry.  This whole journey carries alot of stress with it.  I hate those bad days! 
Dr. Chang - Stanford U - April 2004 Cyberknife 15mm X 12mm
Dr. Schwartz and Doctor Luxford - House Ear Clinic - Dec 2006 Translab 19.1mm X 15mm

Jackysue

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 02:49:58 pm »
Wow!  I honestly didn't know this was a common factor.  I can so relate!  I can't handle it some days.  I snap at the smallest things sometimes.  Although at the time of snapping, it seemed important.   :(   Frankly, I'm tired of feeling impatient and anxious.  I'm also tired of not thinking clearly.   I'm sorry that we are all going through this, but it's nice to know that we're not alone.

Hugs

MLB57

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 04:48:46 pm »
Hi Catflower--I had microsurgery for 1 cm rt AN in 2001--unfortunately for me residual was left and it's continuing to grow so I'm having LINAC at Mass Gen (Boston MA) starting Sept 10 --but I wanted to let you know that the surgical approach (retrosigmoid)  I had involved moving my brain over to get at the area and I am fortunate not to have any cognitive problems HOWEVER I can't deal with stress. Just about the time I was diagnosed I had reached a burned-out stage in career so was ready to do something less stressful anyway... I would feel overwhelmed and get neck tightness.. Now have a job I love (little stress) but now if I feel any "deadline" with my work I tighten up in my chest (anxiety--not heart problems) so the way stress hits me is different now. I have noticed also that I seem to think faster than I can write and my handwriting is sloppy (don't know if there is any correlation there)... But I do know that emotionally I react stronger in a stressful situation than I did before... and will never work in a stressful, deadline oriented careeer again!!!  Regards, Mary form MA ???
1 cm rt AN (retrosigmoid Jan 2001 UMASSMed Ctr/Worc, MA)
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!

redgrl

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 08:08:24 pm »
Have to say I have been very edgy to, but with time it has eased up a bit. My family helps keep me in check. My thing is driving or my 4 year old. I feel bad afterwards and my 4 year old is looking at me like HUH.  :(
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.