Author Topic: coping with facial paralysis  (Read 12079 times)

pattibobatti

Re: coping with facial paralysis
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2007, 12:02:16 pm »
Hi TP

I think you would have to have a good fight with the insurance co. The procedures have always been considered cosmetic.  We just kept saying , with help from Dr. Byrne, that is was necesssary.  I am so happy that it worked out well for us and really hope anyone that  would benefit from the surgery can get their insurance co. to pay for it. 

Dr Byrne is a great doctor and he is wonderful with patients with facial paralysis.

Patti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

TP

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2007, 08:02:52 pm »
Thank you ladies for sharing this info with me. I really appreciate it and will be asking my Dr to see what he recommends and get his opinion. I haven't been very pushy yet but I may just have too. I don't look bad but I do see a difference on the paralysis side of my face and it is starting to droop and I am getting a darker line around my mouth and it needs to be pulled up a little so I am curious to see what my dr has to say! Again thanks for the input and advice!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

aloha808

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 03:52:57 pm »
Just a little tidbit of information, I went to see a plastic surgeon a few months ago and he told me that my insurance should cover any cosmetic procedures that I decide to have done because in cases like mine, it shouldn't be considered cosmetic surgery, but rather corrective surgery.  He said that people like me don't want these types of surgeries to look better & prettier....we just want to look normal.  He said that it probably would be a fight, but if they give me any problems, to tell them that I'm working with an attorney.  That should make them more eager to work something out. 
3 cm tumor
right-sided facial paralysis, deaf, right side
platinum weight in eyelid, outside corner of eye sewn a little
30 years old at time of surgery
Craniotomy 02/11/04, Gamma Knife 06/08/04
Dr. Maddauss, Kaiser Hospital, Honolulu, HI