Author Topic: Anyone NOT have tinnitus?  (Read 6387 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Anyone NOT have tinnitus?
« on: July 20, 2007, 03:10:09 pm »
From the posts I've read, tinnitus sounds very common both before and after AN treatment.  But is it just as common not to have tinnitus?  I have never had it and am wondering if that in itself is unusual.  My "bad ear" is just silent - no sound whatsoever.  Also, just because I don't currently have tinnitus does that mean I won't develop it over time?  Anyone have any experience with this?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lamsue23

• My "Magic AN Scarf" l day after surgery!
Re: Anyone NOT have tinnitus?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 03:33:45 pm »
I had tinnitus first, I took Lipoflavanoid from the pharmacy for awhile, then overnight became completely deaf.  I have no tinnitus but a swishing sound and sometimes clicking but doesn't last. When I came completely deaf, thats when I went to have this evaluated and found out I had an AN.  Everybody is different from what I can see.

I find that I have a hard time driving because besides the dizziness in curves I'm also dissoriented at times.  I'm actually scared when that happens.  I'm on a watch and wait list for right now..  Good Luck!

Sue
SueL/from NH
Retrosigmoid Surgery 8/6/2008 DHMC, Lebanon, NH 7.5 hrs.
Dr. Erkmen - neurosurgeon
Dr. Morrisson - neuro-ostology
Loss of hearing 70% in left ear.
Vision and Balance issues...Taste!!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 07:01:45 pm »
Hi
I would count yourself very lucky not to have tinnitus. It is so often part of the AN package.  I am no expert, but I would guess that just because you don't have it now doesn't mean it won't happen later.  Cross your fingers!  You might stay away from caffeine, salty stuff, and aspirin and be careful as far as loud noises...concerts and such like that because that contributes to tinnitus.  You might also talk with a really knowledgable audiologist who knows a lot about tinnitus to see what they have to say.  If you don't have the big T, then I would think you'd want to protect your ears so that you don't aggravate those sensitive nerves. Maybe I'm wrong.  Anyone?? 

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

NF-2er

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 10:38:53 pm »
Hi Jan;

My left tinnitus began two years post op. I had translab. I thought this unusual.
   Re, "common to not have tinnitus"? My feeling is 'no'.

NF-2er

From the posts I've read, tinnitus sounds very common both before and after AN treatment.  But is it just as common not to have tinnitus?  I have never had it and am wondering if that in itself is unusual.  My "bad ear" is just silent - no sound whatsoever.  Also, just because I don't currently have tinnitus does that mean I won't develop it over time?  Anyone have any experience with this?

Jan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 07:11:56 am »
NF-2er -

was anyone able to give you a reason why it took so long?  Can you attribute it to loud noises or anything like Sue suggests?  Or was it just one of those things that happen?

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful I don't have tinnitus, I'm just trying to anticipate what's down the road for me - not that there are any guarantees.  I'm also planning on a BAHA and I don't what side-effects I can expect from that surgery.  Doc says, correctly, that everyone is different.

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

NF-2er

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 12:15:18 pm »
Hi;

No; No reason was given for the delayed onset of tinnitus.
   I've an idea my brain finally gave up accepting no signal input from the periphery so decided to send it's own signal in search of the ear.
   Tinnitus is elusive and there seem to be no definitives. I know much study is taking place yet.
   I'm truly doubtful of a cure in our life times. Especially for those with hearing loss.
   Best wishes!

NF-2er

Obita

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 07:22:49 pm »
Hi Jan:

Go buy some lottery tickets..........I think you are only the second person I have heard of that actually has a silent ear!!

I really and truly hope it stays that way for you.  I am very envious.....  ;D

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Jeanlea

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 08:02:21 pm »
Hi Jan,

That's cool that you don't have tinnitus.  I have a really mild case of it.  In fact, I didn't even realize I had it before my diagnosis until the doctor asked me about it.  Mine sounds like the sound from a flourescent light.  Most of the time I don't even realize it's there. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 10:02:04 pm »
Hi Jan:

Go buy some lottery tickets..........I think you are only the second person I have heard of that actually has a silent ear!!

Kathy

I didn't realize it was that rare; guess I'm luckier than I thought.  And here I was just thinking that I was strange ;D

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 02:38:16 pm »
I have had tinnitus since I was a young child ... in deaf ear it seems much worse now
simply because I can not play music or run a fan and mask it... it is there 24/7 .... count
yourself very lucky
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

BrandyT

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 05:07:20 am »
I do not have tinnitus,never did. I had surgery in June 05. Hoping to find info on BAHA now...I hate social settings as I cannot hear.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 09:14:37 pm »
Brandy T -

I can SO relate to this.  I just returned from Denver where I was working at a convention for my employer - my first venture into a large social setting since my surgery on 5/31/07 - there were 2,800+ people in attendance and while I could engage in conversation with them, it just wasn't the same as when I could hear with both ears.  I was contemplating a BAHA prior to this trip, and now I am almost absolutely certain that it's something I will pursue.  I'm going to a local ANA meeting next week, where one of the topics will be the BAHA, and I can't wait.

Jan

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 09:19:50 pm »
Those of you who do NOT have the big T as part of your AN package,  Thank the big guy upstairs because it is a torment no human being should ever have to deal with.  MIne is probably the worst (aside from the brainwrecks) side effect of the AN .  I pray for silence everyday.  Even a one hour break from the constant ringing would be relieif.

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

sreda

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 11:47:58 am »
I have had tinnitus since before my AN was diagnosed, and since surgery. It seems worse since the surgery...but I have, by and large, learned to tune it out. Also, since I have also had some episodes of a cardiac arrythmia in the last  2 yrs., relatively speaking, I'd rather have the tinnitus!- and the other diagnosis has served to make me mostly forget  about the "ear noise", which is nearly constant.  :)
Sis in SC

Sis
Left side 4mm AN removed middle fossa 8/2004 at House by Drs. Brackmann and Hitselberger. 48 yrs. old