Author Topic: numbness  (Read 2254 times)

lori78

numbness
« on: July 18, 2007, 10:59:54 am »
Hi, I'm Lori, Had a 3.5 cm tumor reduced to 20% of orig size thru 30 hrs surg and radiation.  I can't feel half my face, and even bit thru my lip in my sleep (Mouthguard, got one!) saved my facial nerve (whew!  I'm single and 29, come on!) but deaf in my left.
Any word on how long this numbness lasts?  I also have a weird pressue feeling on the side I can't feel, but wouldn't know if it was pain because I can't feel it.  My eye also creates no moisture and I am desparate to get contacts back.  My doc says to wait a year and it should be back.  What about you all?  BattyPrincess tells me Vitamin B is supposed to help.  Anyone else?  Thanks!!
Lori, Left AN,  2 translab surgeries and GK radiation, 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm, Dr. Singh Sahni and Drs Fred and Wayne Schia, Chippenham Johnston-Willis, Richmond, VA. Deaf in left, temp paralysis post surg 1/07

Sam Rush

Re: numbness
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 11:32:50 am »
 Vit B-1  100mg daily for at least 3 months, may help.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

satman

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 12:14:02 pm »
i hope you dont mind me asking,but how on earth did you
go through a 30 hr surgery ?i thought i had it bad with 17 1/2 hr surgery.
my little friend was 8cm with translab procedure[or whatever it is behind the ear]
i was operated on april 9th 07
and i still have the numbness,like i went to dentist,and it is driving
me crazy!  still bite my lip and the inside of my cheek.[makes eating fun].
i am also  SSD [single sided deafness] in my left ear.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 02:44:20 pm »
30 hours!  :o  :o
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

lori78

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 07:45:43 pm »
Thanks for responding...

First surg... 13 hrs on Friday Oct 13 (ha!) and 17 on Jan 24th.  The first was more 'prep' as my tumor was 'slippery, nasty and entrenched in nerves'.  Then radiation...

I am a little concerned... I made decisions re: surg because the MRI showed my brain stem being almost in the shape of a "C" so it seemed immidiate attention was necessary.  I hope I made the right choices and would LOVE to learn about the symposium.  I am so sorry I missed it.  Any feedback would be great.

My doc took so long in surg to try to savee the facial nerve, which he did, thank goodness.  Lost hearing in the left and as a music therapist, it's hard... I can't differentiate where sound comes from.  GRRRR.  But for someone so young, my doc worked really hard.  I actually had ICU Psychosis.  Anyone?  SCARY AS HECK!

Thanks for your feedback....Best to you all, Lori
Lori, Left AN,  2 translab surgeries and GK radiation, 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm, Dr. Singh Sahni and Drs Fred and Wayne Schia, Chippenham Johnston-Willis, Richmond, VA. Deaf in left, temp paralysis post surg 1/07

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 07:57:45 pm »
Lori one of the biggest things I learned from the symposium through various sources...doctors and patients...was that with brain stem involvement like you are describing, you did not have a lot of time to waste. I was in the same boat.   I literally was diagnosed on July 11th and had four consutls and was on a table by aug 23rd. During that time I was going to go rollercoastering on a few occasions but was too darn sick to follow through. Found out if I did I'd have died on the coaster due to the brain stem being twisted. Not a normal AN occurrence, I never do anything typical or easy  ;D

I lost a lot of the numbness I had right after surgery. I think it took about 6 mos. I was told bwtween 4 to 6 mos and my face should return. I still have numbness due to a flattened trigeminal nerve.

Time.......(ya get sick of hearing it but it's true) :-*