Author Topic: Back from Symposium  (Read 13440 times)

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Back from Symposium
« on: July 16, 2007, 07:36:00 am »
What a great (though jam-packed) weekend!  Lots of great information, sharing, meeting old friends, and making new ones.  I'm so glad I went.  It's really a unique experience - a medical conference devoted to patient-patient and patient-doctor interaction.  (Though it was still interesting to note how the doctors' biases and conflicting opinions still came through loud-and-clear.)

I didn't take any pictures, but hopefully others will post some. 

Thank you to all for making the weekend so enjoyable!  Hopefully we can all make it to Chicago for the 2009 Symposium.
Katie

P.S.  Capt Deb and BP - next time we take a cab back so the Market doesn't close on us!   :P

diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Back from Symposium
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 06:44:35 pm »
man --  I'm sorry I did not go .. I had plans to go, but my fishing trip was changed to last week ... (and nothing over rides fishing  ;) )
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 05:12:03 pm »
My notes are such chicken scratch they're not worth scanning!   ;)

I came away with this:  this would be a great thing to go to if you were pre-surgery as a whole.  I really liked the talk on genetics and the recap of the International in Barcelona.  Things of interesting note from the doctors presentations were, IMO, that 18 mm is kind of the "threshold" in that once you grow past that point you're at higher risk for facial/hearing issues, the "new" ratio is 2/100,000, the average age is 62, that some type of radiation is probably a factor in mutating the particular chromosome to make this occur (8-10% higher incidence of occurrance in Hiroshima/Nagasaki survivors), that we will probably continue to see an increased incidence of AN as technology grows, that they are looking more into genetics of how AN's come about so that maybe someday there can be a pill that we can take to inhibit the growth, and that there are in total three types of NF2's.  Lots more, but I can expound later.   Just hitting the high points that stuck with me.  And yes, the debate is still wild and interesting to watch as it occurs between docs who radiate v. docs who do microsurgery. 

And for those of you interested, the next one is in 2009 in Chicago with Dr. Wiet hosting!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Static

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 08:20:05 pm »
Do you think if we get the transcript it will have the "spinal cow cord" in it??? LOL  Maybe we should order one just in case we missed anything else good!!!  The symposium was very interesting and educational, as well as alot of fun.  I was glad to meet everyone I met from the forum.  It was nice being able to put a person behind the names on the computer screen.  It was also nice to meet Transear Rick.  It's amazing when I put on the baha headband how much more I could hear it was actually like overload.  I really did learn so much more and I will definitely be going to Jeff's headache clinic very soon as well.  I hope everyone made it home safely. 
~Karen 
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 08:48:59 am »
Hi Static!!!!!  It was great to meet you finally!!!  Yes, the Transear and BAHA were very interesting.  Rick was very nice, and Cheryl I told him hello from you and that you weren't able to come.  I would like some more time to experiment, but even the BAHA guy noticed that I read lips and therefore feels like I've adapted well....it has been a good 10 years or so, I bet, that I haven't heard well.  I'm sure it's much different for someone with sudden hearing loss. 

I need to Google "spinal cow cord" just to see what happens.   :D   That was soooooooo funny!!!!!!  And the MRI that looked like a pressed ham with a dingleberry!   We're so bad, but I think that's how we all adapted so well.....what can you do but laugh?

Cheryl R

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 09:22:12 am »
I made it home last night too just fine.    It was a good trip but am glad to be back to the country. It was super to meet everyone and am thinking too late that there was some people that I remember said were coming and that I don't remember meeting.           How did everyones group pic turn out?      I haven't downloaded mine yet.
   The talks were good.      Sat, the talks ran over time wise so the question and answer session with the group of doctors was not done after the case history presentation.       I was disappointed in that.            I know people may have been able to get some questions answered in the individual sessions but have felt this was a helpful time.                Some of the earlier doctors talks got a bit too in depth.             I felt like I was in a nursing cont ed class.                  My primary interest was the NF2 topics.         I am not sure if I knew this before that NF2 tumors are different from regular AN's in that the nerve fibers run through the actual tumor and that causes more problem with treatment.    A regular AN just sits on the tumor and the damage it causes is from the pressure it causes.         The usual methods of treatment don't work as well.
  I was glad I did come!                                Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 10:21:34 am »
Wow kathleen you took good notes.--my post is long but anyone that knows me knows I have lots to say  LOL

I know I got the spinal cow one written down somewhere  LOL  That was funny as well as some of his made up words. I too wondered if the typos would be in the transcript...great reading if they are  ;D

I can't wait to dig into the book Dancing through life with Guts, Grace and Gusto. Sandra was incredible to talk to. I would expect Allie to be the same.  Anyone who's interested the book can be perused and orderd on Amazon.com

Let's see my  notes:
•   age of onset between 45-64 years old
•   arises from the vestibular nerve
•   more common in women
•   twice as common in whites vs blacks (did they give a reason for this? or etiology is unknown?)
•   increasing over time they do not think it is 1 in 100,000 but 2 in 100,000

not sure if this is just in referring to NF2 or An's as a whole
•   originates from one abnormal cell
•   genetic defect
•   chromosome 22 is responsible for NF2
•   NF2 produces merlin (merlin is a protein)

I learned that B Vitamins can aid nerve re-growth and t hose with facial numbness might want to try it. Around the 24 month, mark if the nerves have not re-grown it is highly unlikely that they will.

Facial neuralgia can be sharp and dull pains. I was under the impression just sharp. I suffer from dull achy pains in my face and was told by Dr. Wilcox that it is facial neuralgia. There are medications that might help.

There are no studies done or being done on AN’s and post surgical headaches.
There are no studies on the cognitive issues and AN that have come out as of yet according to Dr. Kunkel.

Wellbutrin is not for patients who have had AN’s due to the central nervous system.

Depression is a common issue with An’s and medication will help. Mania and Bipolor are connected in an unclear manner. I know I experienced this about 6 mos after surgery.

There was a german study done that put two cell phones next to an egg and supposedly after 30 mins the egg was hardboiled. They have not been able to confirm this data. The slide was funny.

Honestly there was no much to learn, see, do, and experience that anyone who is post, or pre treatment should consider attending in Chicago in 2009. I missed the one in Orlando by about a week. I was not given my diagnosis at that point. I see how it could be both beneficial and overwhelming to those who are wait and watch or trying to decide on treatment. From the feedback I heard, having the posties to talk to helped the ww and pre patience’s understand more of what their options are and what to expect after treatment.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 11:27:40 am »
Addendum to Battys:

more prevalent in whites as with other disorders, blacks have (as a whole) less access to medical care, so by the time they are diagnosed the mortality rate is up to 8% with them.  Chromosome 22 contains the vestibular schwannoma supressor protien, called Merlin, and we all have it, not just NF2ers.  It's when Merlin gets damaged, through recessiveness and/or a radiation event, some where in time, that causes just the right circumstances for suppression to not occur in one schwann cell which will then multiply.   This is part of the reason for the broad spectrum of age differences, but the onset is generally older because that by then, somewhere along the line, we have a higher chance of having that "event" that starts this growing. 

I now think that somewhere along the line, it's that we all suffer from "spinal cow cord"ism!   ;)

Just FYI, the "forum" group was Captain Deb, Batty, Katie Bonner, Static, Cheryl R, redgrl, and myself, and staypoz made herself known....never did see Flyersfan!  Anyone else there that avoided us like the plague?   :D

Also, a shout out hello to all of you that I got to meet that are not on or just lurking on the forum!  It was great to meet you all!

Cheryl R

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 11:34:03 am »
Also Arushi and Taylor and mom Kathy.         
                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

FlyersFan68

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 11:59:16 am »
WOW I didn't think anyone would notice. The reason was I couldn't decide which jersey to wear?? (Upshaw, Briere, Gagne)??
Then I couldn't find shoes to match. I will have to make it up in Chicago then! I do appreciate the mention! One thing that keeps entering my mind however is starting a local brunch somewhere in Philly maybe once every month or two. Would love to hear from Karen about this. Karen you out there?

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 12:11:14 pm »
OK, did I fall asleep in my chair at some point?!?!  What's with the spinal cow cord?   ???

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Mark

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 12:57:11 pm »
Flyersfan,

No one would recognize my Jersey names anymore (Clarke, Parent, Dornhoefer, MacLeish) ;D. Of course, that was when they were winning Stanley cups and not finishing last in the league  :o. What's up with that

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 01:34:59 pm »
Oh good lord, how could I have missed Taylor and her mom....actually I knew someone was missing but my AN brain couldn't put a fix on it....it fell into that bottomless pit that I now have!   :D  Didn't get to meet Arushi!  Darn! 

The spinal cow cord was the translator's take on transcribing "spinal cord".  There were other funnies as well....it seemed the more the day wore on, the more tired the transcriber got and it got really funny! 

I had to go to bed as soon as I got home from work yesterday, I'm really worn out, will try to upload the photo tonight!

Yes, we missed you Flyersfan....we saw the Flyers shirts in the gift shop, so we were looking for something like that!!!!  Karen is a great gal and I bet a Philly area meet would be fun!!!!  Too bad I'm near Seattle!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 01:46:17 pm »

Hmm .. I dont think I'll to the Chicago one .., maybe we could have one back east some time? New York or Boston?

Might I all suggest we could raise money for ANA by selling T-shirts with our forum names on them for next time?  ;D
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 01:54:28 pm »
Hi Michelle:  Do you recollect if they mentioned Vit. B6 in particular for nerve regeneration?  I heard that somewhere, but that you need to take another medication along with it (what I don't know) or the Vit. B6 can cause more harm than good.
Someone on the forum mentioned Vit. B12 dots which I AM taking, but am curious re: Vit. B6.    Thanks, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis