Author Topic: AN Experence in operating of ENT an Nerurosurgen?  (Read 4286 times)

Razor

AN Experence in operating of ENT an Nerurosurgen?
« on: July 02, 2007, 01:14:08 pm »
 ??? I would like to know how concerned I should be about the ENT Drs. amount of operations she or he has done? I have checked out my Nerurosurgen and she has 25 yrs and a lot of surgerys  under her belt, but my concer is with my ENT. He has only 5 years and 13 operations under his belt. Im aware that the nerurosurgen has in my mind the hardest part of taking out the tumor without having any serious side effects. How concerned should I be??? My appointment is in August with the nerurosurgen and I feel if I have to be concerned I will try to change my ENT Dr. My tumor is 2.6 x 2.1x 2.5 CM an is pressing on the brain stem an causing breathing problems an slight numbness on my right side. I already have COPD an Im really getting worried that my COPD inhalers are not helping as they use to. I will thank everyone now for your help and understanding in answering my post. All have a great 4TH of July and be safe and happy .

Raydean

Re: AN Experence in operating of ENT an Nerurosurgen?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 03:36:59 pm »
Based on personal experience I believe that it's critical and in the patients best interest that all members of the treating medical team have vast experience in the treatment of AN's.  The difference in experienced and inexperienced can be measured in quality of life issues.  With experience you will be less likely to have outcomes that could  have an effect on your quality of life.  Personally, I would want a doctor that has seen it all and done it all, otherwise  the word "practice" can take on a whole new meaning.

Wishing you all  things good and positive.

Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Obita

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 07:14:26 am »
Hi Razor:

In my opinion, the nerosurgeon and neurotologist should have done hundreds of AN surgeries together before I would
let them drill into my head.  Neurosurgeons do many types of brain surgeries so I would want to know that he/she does AN surgeries routinely. 

Good luck finding your team Razor. 

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 07:46:33 pm »
Razor,
  I have to agree with the other posters that the more experienced everyone on the team is the better.  With more experience they can develop more skills in handling out of the ordinary things happening in the operating room.  Even though everyone has the same basic "parts" in their anatomy, there is variability between individuals. And a more experienced surgeon should be quicker to pick up any anomolies in your particular anatomy.  By that I mean that even though a nerve is supposed to run above some other structure, in some rare instances the nerve may run underneath that other structure.  You want your surgeons to have seen every possibility before your surgery, and to have previously dealt with every possible complication. 
Regards,
  Rob 
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Obita

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 06:48:16 am »
Razor:

Rob brought up a very good point.

I have a high jugular bulb which made it impossible for my neurotologist to go straight to the AN via the normal route.  He had to go up and over the jugular bulb which extended his time getting to the AN.  It took at total of 5 hours to get to it. This would be one of the things I would mention to your neurotologist as a high jugular bulb is about as common as right handed vs left. 

Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines