Author Topic: hallucinations?  (Read 2822 times)

claireb

hallucinations?
« on: July 02, 2007, 11:54:59 am »
My mum started having hallucinations from about 3 nights ago. From what my sister tells me, she is still on steriods and they are the cause for the hallucinations which mostly happen at night. this really freaked me out as it sounds scary and I was wondering if any of you had the same problem and for how long.  The good news is that she is walking much better and tommorow her stitches will be removed.  the surgeon is meant to give her the result of the lab test on the AN tomorrow too. so fingers crossed that all comes out well.I have spoken to my mum a couple of times and seems to be doing well. I just hope all goes well and she will be back with us soon.
thanks all
Claire

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: hallucinations?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 02:15:45 pm »
For me it was the codeine that gave me hallucinations.  At 3am in the hospital I heard my mom and my oldest son talking about getting a cheese pizza (which neither of them eat) from inside my tinnitus!  Freaky. 

Common side effect of some of the post op drugs.  It should go away when she's off the meds.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 02:33:10 pm »
The halucinations will go away as soon as they stop the steriods.  But those meds are to control and bring down swelling, and promote rapid healing in the surgery site.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 05:16:25 pm by Boppie »

jimmy r

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 02:56:21 pm »
i have had some very bizare dreams.
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.

chrissmom

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 10:58:50 am »
Chris had some pretty scary hallucinations too.  He saw lots of cats coming out from under a couch.  We still laugh about it.  The hallucinations go away.

NF-2er

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 09:42:16 pm »
Hi;

There is withdrawal from general anesthesia also. There is a formula out there somewhere for calculating the time for that. I would suspect if Mum were under but 3 1/2 hours, if anesthetic withdrawal were a factor, things would soon improve. Same as with post steroid use.

NF-2er