Author Topic: mum is having surgery tomorrow, her AN is 3 cm  (Read 4213 times)

claireb

mum is having surgery tomorrow, her AN is 3 cm
« on: June 25, 2007, 03:30:48 pm »
My sister just called me a few minutes ago.  Mum  is having her surgery tomorrow morning.  she should be in at 8.30am and out by 2.30pm.  From what my sister told me she will be having an incision behind her ear so I don't know whether it's translab or sub approach.  and we finially got to know the size of her AN it's 3cm, I was thinking it was around 5cm so now knowing that it's a bit smaller makes me feel a bit (just a little bit) better.  the surgeon told her that she would be a good candidate for gamma knife but as it's pressing on the brainstem, she might have swelling and he did not want her to go through that.  he said that the main objective is to decompress the brain so if by removing a part of it, they see that it's enough for the brain to be decompressed, they will stop there.  from what I can understand her facial paralysis and balance problems, if any, will only be temporary.  My mum is very scared cause the surgeon told her that there is a risk of her having  a stroke or pass away during the operation.  This is scaring me too and I was wondering whether this is always told to the patients before their surgery. 
anyway so this is it now - tomorrow is the big day and I kindly ask you to say a prayer for her.  My sister told me that the surgeon told her that he performs AN surgeries on a weekly basis so I guess his experience is quite vast on them.  Please Lord let everything be ok. I will keep you all posted.
Claire

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: mum is having surgery tomorrow, her AN is 3 cm
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 03:42:10 pm »
In the US, all surgeons are required to go through all possible risks and complications of the surgery beforehand, no matter how miniscule the chance.  It's part of informed consent.  With an experienced team, the real risk of stroke and/or death are miniscule, though not nonexistant.  But death is a potential risk of riding in an airplane.  Or leaving your house.  Or staying inside your house. 

I assume that doctors in the UK have similar informed consent requirements as in the US. 

I'm glad to hear your mother's AN is smaller than you originally thought.  And I'm glad to hear the surgeons are open to the idea of just debulking the tumor rather than trying to get all out no matter what.  Depending on what they find when they get in there, one option may better serve your mother than the other and it's good that they'll do what's right for her and her particular situation.

I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts tomorrow!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Obita

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 04:30:35 pm »
Dear clairb:

Best of luck to your mum and all of you too.  Tomorrow will be a very long day for all of you.

I received the exact same "risk" info from my docs before my long AN surgery as before my 45 min. total hips.  Like Katie said, they make sure you understand that anything can happen no matter what kind of surgery you are having.

Hang in there Claire, Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 06:49:52 pm »
Claire, I have had several surgeries several minor and one major, the AN.  At each of my surgeries I have been forewarned and told again when I signed the release papers that,  I stood the "risk of stroke, death from an accident, heart attack, etc.".  Tis' part of the event.  We sign the papers and keep our hopes for the best that all will go well and no "accidents" will occur.  None of us like to hear the negative eventualities.  Just keep praying to the Good Lord; your Mum will come through okay.  The size of the tumor is good news considering that it might not have much impact on her brainstem post op.  She is probably thinking of you and all her family right now!.  God Bless!  I will say a prayer for her.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 11:45:39 pm »
Best wishes for your mum and her surgery. Keep us posted.  Pretty scary, I know...but the odds are in her favor.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

claireb

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 12:01:21 am »
thanks for your replies. I just spoke to my sister and she sounded tense. It sucks being stuck here and just waiting for a phone call.  I have been praying and God willing, my mum will be in good hands.  I guess this is the climax of all the waiting that we have been doing for the past months.  I wish I can sleep for the coming 6 hours and when i wake up all will be ok.  Thanks once again.
Claire

cookiesecond

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 08:00:30 am »
Claire,
You guys are in my thoughts and prayers. We look forward to GOOD NEWS!!!
Take care,
Lynn