Author Topic: AN Treatment at City of Hope  (Read 4267 times)

Jeff Barnes

AN Treatment at City of Hope
« on: June 23, 2007, 06:14:53 pm »
Hi folks, I am new to this forum but used it as an educational resource prior to my surgery 3 weeks ago. After my diagnosis, (11mm AN right side) I had a consult at House Ear Institute, and began looking for another treatment center to get a second opinion. The House Clinic seemed okay, but they are geared towards surgery, and I wanted an unbiased consultation on both surgical and radiation treatment options.

In all my searches I never found any mention of City of Hope, but I went to their site eventually just because I knew they were well known for their brain tumor program. I was happy and surprised to find that they advertise their Acoustic Neuroma treatments with both surgical and radiosurgery options! I had a consultation with Behnam Badie, M.D. who is Director of the Department of Neurosurgery as well as the Director of the Brain Tumor Program. After meeting with Doctor Badie, I felt confident that if surgery were to be my treatment of choice, he was the man I trusted to go inside my head. I asked Doctor Badie about radiosurgery options and he set an appointment for me to consult with one of his colleagues, Eric Radeny M.D.. After all my information gathering, I chose to have Doctor Badie and his team perform the surgery.

Now, I know that each person has a different set of circumstances and I went into this surgery expecting the best but prepared for the worst. I am here today to tell you that may recovery is going very, very well. No facial paralysis post surgery, and at 3 weeks I'd rate my balance at 70% and improving daily with therapy exercises.

I enthusiastically recommend that anyone who can get to the City of Hope and meet with Doctor Badie do so. Not only am I sold on this man as a treating physician, but every aspect of my treatment at the City of Hope was outstanding; what a marvelous place. Being a patient with a benign tumor at a facility that is known for its cancer therapy also puts our problem in perspective...we're luckier than the rest of them.     

Here are links to City of Hope's AN site and Doctor Badie's Curriculum Vitae -
http://www.cityofhope.org/BrainTumor/Treatments.htm
http://www.cityofhope.org/Physicians/BadieBadie/

Windsong

Re: AN Treatment at City of Hope
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 07:51:28 pm »
Jeff, Welcome to the board here.

I'm so happy to hear that you are doing so well and that you posted this info as I had never heard of this place.....

Sounds like you got yourself a wonderful doctor there.

Wishing you all the best.  :) keep on healing well.

Windsong

Desilu

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 01:49:56 pm »
Hi Jeff,

Glad you had time to do your research and make an educated decision. Like Windsong, I have never heard of "City of Hope". It is wonderful that you found this place, had your surgery and are now in the recovery mode. Sounds like you are doing great! You will be an inspiration to others who are just starting their AN journey. Thank you for the post.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Jeff Barnes

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 09:49:20 pm »
Desilu and Windsong - Thanks for the welcome and kind words. For anyone interested in Doctor Badie, I forgot to mention that he tells me that he has performed hundreds of AN surgeries, and of all brain tumor surgeries he performs, he says the AN is his favorite! Good for we patients! Be well. JB