Author Topic: BrainLab M3 System  (Read 5280 times)

tsl

BrainLab M3 System
« on: June 20, 2007, 11:56:34 am »
I'm cross posting this because I've been Watching and Waiting and have a radiosurgery quesiton.

As a possible radiation treatment for my AN, my neurotologist recommended a new machine recently acquired at the hospital with which he is affiliated:  BrainLab M3 System that uses a Linear Accelerator.

When I made my decision not to have surgery, I began researching Cyberknife, Gammaknife, and Proton Beam.  My Dr. said that the BrainLab etc. was first used in Europe.

Is anyone familiar with this type of stereotactice surgery?

Also, at this time no AN patient has been treated with this new machine by the team that was recently trained.  Am I being unfair feeling uncomfortable with these factors
AN diagnosed Dec 2006
Approx. size 9 x 6  x 4 mm
Proton Beam radiosurgery wtih Dr. Jay Loeffler (radiation oncologist) and Dr. Paul Chapman (neurosurgeon) at Mass. General on Nov.2, 2007

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: BrainLab M3 System
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 12:16:23 pm »
is this being offered in the Boston area? (your other post notes you are located in MA).

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

tsl

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 01:14:47 pm »
is this being offered in the Boston area? (your other post notes you are located in MA).

Phyl

Hi Phyl,
This is being offered at Baystate Health in Springfield, Massachusetts. I think the official name is BrainLAB m3 Shaped Beam Radiosurgery.

In the very near future I'll be heading to your part of Massachusetts for a 2nd opinion in Boston.

-Theresa
AN diagnosed Dec 2006
Proton Beam radiosurgery wtih Dr. Jay Loeffler (radiation oncologist) and Dr. Paul Chapman (neurosurgeon) at Mass. General on Nov.2, 2007

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 01:33:22 pm »
Theresa

Please consider joining all of us on Sunday, Aug 5 for brunch in Worcester:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=3561.15

Looking forward to meeting you!
Phyl

Phyl

Hi Phyl,
This is being offered at Baystate Health in Springfield, Massachusetts. I think the official name is BrainLAB m3 Shaped Beam Radiosurgery.

In the very near future I'll be heading to your part of Massachusetts for a 2nd opinion in Boston.

-Theresa
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

tsl

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 12:15:28 pm »
I had also asked my question about the BrainLAB M3 system on the Cyberknife Support Group site.  I'd like to share the reply I received from Dr. Medbery:

http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/default.aspx?f=1&m=13269

I was also able to locate the full newswire article.  If anyone is interested, I can post it.

-Theresa
AN diagnosed Dec 2006

linnilue

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 07:22:14 pm »
I had also asked my question about the BrainLAB M3 system on the Cyberknife Support Group site.  I'd like to share the reply I received from Dr. Medbery:

http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/default.aspx?f=1&m=13269

I was also able to locate the full newswire article.  If anyone is interested, I can post it.

-Theresa
After reading this article I myself would NEVER let anyone use that machine on my brain, no way jay!  It sounds a bit frightening frankly and given that we AN patients are already full of anxiety, I think this machine is risky business.  There are so many other choices which are known to be so much safer(i.e. CK,GK, linac) and have been used successfully for so many years that it seems that to use a machine loaded with issues is just out of the question.  And if you have a problem with your insurance I would send them this article attached to a letter asking to go out of network.  I think you would be approved immediately because they wouldn't want to take a risk with this machine.  Good luck.  Remember this is your brain, this is your life and this is your decision.
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.