Author Topic: Balance after 21 months-Good news  (Read 7937 times)

Jeanlea

Balance after 21 months-Good news
« on: June 14, 2007, 05:45:07 pm »
In September of 2005 I had surgery to remove my 3.5 plus tumor.  I left the hospital using a cane to help me with my balance.  That was followed by two months of vestibular training.    All has gone rather well since then.  Today I was at our family reunion going on a tour of local waterfalls.  The paths were rugged.  Rocks and tree roots along with steep inclines and some big steps.  I handled it all with no problems.  You wouldn't have even noticed I had previously had a balance problem.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Boppie

Re: Balance after 21 months-Good news
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 07:00:17 pm »
Jeanlea, Congratulations for such good balance. 

Although my tumor was much smaller, I have recovered my balance so well that I can dig and pitch sand from a shovel, load and unload bricks from a wheel barrow; and run away from the lawn sprinlkler that sprayed my ear.

TP

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 08:48:47 pm »
Jeanlea: That is good news. I had some complications but never really had balance problems. However, I've posted before I got back to walking as soon as I was able to be out in the sun with my eye. About 2 1/2 months after my surgery I was back in taekwondo and training. I truly believe my recovery physically was due to exercise with muscle strength exercise, some cardio and flex training. I had facial and eye issues that really bugged me and still do but I feel very fortunate that was it. I really feel for folks who have had balance and head ache issues. I am so glad you have perserved and are able to hike especially along the rugged trails!

Boopie sounds like you have a lot of fun working out in the yard! Don't let that sprinkler get the best of you.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

NF-2er

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 07:16:57 pm »
Hi;

Jeanla, nice you have such a good contralateral side!! Boppie, will you marry me? : )

NF-2er

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 09:03:45 pm »
Jeanlea, the TransEar is still working fine.  I just left it in the Dry and Store overnight and it is fine.  One good thing, I found out I can still run from sprinklers. 

Our 93 degree temps and humidity are already making it difficult to keep my TransEar in all day.  Who'da thought an ear canal could sweat so much?  Most of our afternoons are dedicated to siesta time from the heat. So I guess I will adjust to using the Dry and Store at mid day.

Windsong

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 12:20:54 am »
ok... this is interesting... Boppie someone in this thread asked you "Will you marry me" and i figure some of us are breathlessy waiting for your answer......

;D

do tell!!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 10:31:21 am »
Jeanlea,
Good on ya (as Laz would say) for the hike--I did the same thing a fer weeks back for the first time with obstacles llike tree roots and rocks and did OK. The real problem was having to keep my head down so I could see over the tops of my bifocals. Of course I ended up with a screaming headache, not to far from the car, though. I'd really like to get Lasik for the eyeballs--would maybe help with head positional headaches when I hike rough terrain? Hmmm......... Bionic ear or bionic eyeballs...........??????

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Boppie

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 04:35:44 pm »
I answer to the sweetie who proposed...I've been in our sand box for 43 years and not comin' out!  An old gal sure loves gardening and compliments though!  :D

lora

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 09:22:37 pm »
I am sooo jealous of balance right now!!  I could have walked from Atlanta to Miami and still not pass a field sobriety test!
4.7cm x all over my head, filling 4th ventricle, squashing the brainstem
translab by the awesome Dr.Tomaras 4/12/07
retrosigmoid, Drs. Tomaras and Steuer 6/4/07
GK in Oct. for the little bit left?
2007--the year of the head "what a long, strange trip it's been"

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 05:19:34 am »
Jeanlea............................Yeah for you!!!  I thought I was doing great to walk two miles with my mother-in-law on flat pavement!!!  I only fell twice and I will be two years post op on the 28th of this month.  I'm still "wonky-headed"!  As they say, life goes on...  I am very happy for you though.  It is great to good news from a postie!

Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Boppie

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 10:45:31 am »
I learned from my daughter who sees a chiropractor...looking down forces the neck muscles to hold the head up.  Standing straight and looking straight out gives the neck a break.

I notice looking at my feet makes me dizzy.  I see the pavement moving by.

My balance after 19 months?   I taught two 6 hour long classes...high demand adults this week.  I moved from table to table instructing to inquiries from the back and sides...had no bumps, falls, nor dizziness.  Can't garden this week...too much rain in Texas.  It's feast or famine weather.

Jeanlea, I admire your golfing skills.    :) 

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 06:57:37 pm »
Boppie,
I admire you.  If you look straight ahead you miss seeing the pot holes and bumps!  I must have football player neck muscles!!  The rain needs to go away so that my tomatoes don't float away.
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Jeanlea

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 08:50:27 pm »
I actually find it easier to walk when I'm looking down at where I'm going.  That's especially true on the uneven trails.  But that is a habit that I've always had. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 02:21:14 pm »
Hi, Jeanlea:

Just wanted to pop in with a note of congratulations on your attaining normal, functional balance. 

That is no small achievement.  I applaud your progress.   :) 

I trust that your experience may help the newly diagnosed or those in 'postie' status who are experiencing difficulty regaining their balance function, realize that, in time and with effort, it is possible to regain your equilibrium.  Thanks for the post.   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 07:14:18 am »
Hi Jean:  Your family reunions are like active vacations - that's great !!    You are a real trooper honey girl.   Wish I had your spunk.   Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis