Author Topic: TransEar and loud noise?  (Read 4411 times)

O. Keith

• O. Keith
TransEar and loud noise?
« on: June 14, 2007, 03:16:10 pm »
Hi All,  I new at this and need some advice.  I've had the cast in the ear and should be getting a TransEar to try soon.  As a hobby we "play" with sports cars and racing them.  Can anyone advise how to handle loud noise ...like a race engine?  Do you just turn the TransEar down?  Or take it out when your around loud noise?

Thanks, O. Keith
O. Keith,  2.8 cm AN removed
6/29/06 w/ Translab by Drs. Link and Driscoll of Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
Right SSD and wobbly

Boppie

Re: TransEar and loud noise?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 04:57:14 pm »
I'd take it out, put it in its dry brick case, and use ear plugs to protect myself from loud noise like race cars.

But at least I'd turn the transear off and put an ear plug in my good ear.

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 05:23:26 pm »
I agree with Boppie.  I would take it out or turn it off.  And wear an earplug in your good ear.  It's not like you need the aid to help you hear the engines.  lol

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 06:55:54 pm »
When I mow the lawn I turn my TransEar off. The first time I mowed wearing my TransEar I forgot to do that and I had the worst case of tinnitus for a week.

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

DWSSD

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 09:45:33 pm »
My work takes me into noisey construction environments.  I find the TransEar no help there.  Might as well save the batteries.

Once at home I was taking out the trash and the neighbor fired up his leaf blower right next to me while I was wearing it.  It really tickled my ear. I can only imagine what a race car would do.

I just want to add that I love my TransEar eventhough I'm working on some fit isssues. It is a big help in the right environment. I just think you shouldn't wear it around the race track.

Good Luck
Dan

TransEarXpert

• TransEar details
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 07:39:28 pm »
Taking TransEar out around really loud noises is OK, as is turning it off. Around noise that varies in intensity, however, use TrasnsEar's compression bands so that at low sound levels you don't loose the benefit it provides. Your practitioner can set each of four bands to stop amplifying above a certain level of intensity. In TransEar270, for example, the default "kneepoint" is 70 dB, and thus any input above that level is compressed, i.e. for every 1 dB of input the amplification might only be .33 or .5 dB. The amount of compression differs in each band, and all hearing healthcare practitioners are familiar with how to adjust those compression bands to your individual needs.

Rick

DWSSD

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 10:08:53 pm »
Okay Rick,

That's good to know, however... The guy was asking about wearing it next to a race car. Seriously, We've got to be talking 120 db or more. Thats above the threshold of pain. He should have an ear plug in his good hear and save the batteries on his TransEar. Don't you agree?
If not explain.
Hate to call you out like that, but I think your sending fixed signals on this one.

With Respect
Dan