Author Topic: Those of you who had Translab (or any other microsurguries) , please help!  (Read 4312 times)

zjane

Hi, I posted on the Microsurgical Option  board with regarding picking a surgical team.  Those of you who had Microsurgeries for your AN, could you please hop over there and take a look for me?  I need a decision by this Friday and I would really really appreciate your input!

The topic is titled "Ear surgeon and Neurosurgeon, who does what and does that matter"

Thanks!
Jane
right side AN found Nov 04 1.0x0.7
FSR Cabrini - Dr. Lederman 5 sessions Nov 05 1.4x1.0
Translab Hinsdale Hospital - Dr. Wiet / Dr. Kazan Jun 07 2.3x1.2 (CSF leak, lumbar drain)

2yr Post-Op MRI Apr 09 Clean

zjane

Here's the link to my post. Thanks!

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=3762.0
Translab Hinsdale Hospital - Dr. Wiet / Dr. Kazan Jun 07 2.3x1.2 (CSF leak, lumbar drain)

jlamborn

In my case, I had Translab.  The ear surgeon started and got all the way to the tumor, then the neurosurgeon actually did the removal, and then back to the ear surgeon to close and finish stuff.  Mine was 1.2 CM and causing serious balance problems besides the hearing loss.  I chose Translab because there was no decent hearing to save and that approach gives them the best access to the tumor with the least risk to the facial nerve because the inner ear is removed during the process.  I initially woke up and had full movement the right side of my face, and a day later a little weakness set in (delayed blinking, corner of the mouth a little funny).  I was told this was normal and how you basically wake up is how you're going to be, which in my case was true.  I am now 6 months post-op and fully recovered on the facial issues. 
13 mm AN on right side
Dr Isaacson, Dr. Madden,
UT Southwest Medical Center - Dallas, TX
Trans-lab Dec 18, 2006
BAHA implant Oct 2, 2008
BAHA activation Jan 9, 2009

Shrnwldr

Hi there
I had tne Translab procedure.  For me it was the best as  they could see the whole tumor which meant they would remove the whole tumor.  I had substantial hearing loss before surgery so wasn't too upset over that.  I am not sure which did what, but I do know that my neurosurgeon supervised the removal of the tumor from my facial nerve.  He monitored this with electrodes and such.  My otologist monitors me now to make sure I have no fevers, that the incision are healing properly and that I have no leaks. 

All in all the surgery went really well.  My balance is coming back slowly and surely.

My team are from Los Angeles/Orange County area.  Dr. Jerald Robison and Dr. William Hitselberger.   They were terrific! 

Personally I think you need to go with the team of doctors that you feel the most comfortable with and trust.
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

Sam Rush

Ear surgeon operates thru the hearing apparatus to the lining of the brain, dura Mater layer,  then neurosurgeon takes over, and usually removes the tumor.  Then fat pad from abdomen is grafted in place to prevent spinal fluid leak.

Best place, worldwide to have this done is House clinic in LA, as they have developed all the modern surgical techniques for this tumor.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

neal r. lyons

HI SAM- I'M HAVING TRANSLAB JUNE 22 (BRACKMANN/SCHWARTZ) ARE THE TWO PIMARYS THAT I KNOW OF.  MOST ENCOURAGING TO READ YOUR POST  I FEEL VERY CONFIDENT WITH THE TEAM      I'VE DECIDED TO WAIT ON HEARING AID SITUATION     I KNOW IT WILL BE NEEDED AND I THANK THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE GIVEN ME YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE HEARING AID ISSUE   NEAL
AN 2.6X2.0X2.8 (right side)                                           June 22, 2007
House Ear Clinic/St. Vincent's Hospital@ Los Angeles, Ca.

Translabyrinthine(5 1/2 hr.):  Dr.Brackmann-neurotologist    Dr.Schwartz-neurosurgeon    Dr.Kutz-incision@stitches    Dr.Stefan-internist

Sam Rush

Say hello to Dr. Brackmann for me, and Dr. Steffan, the internist. Good luck!! You'll do geat !!
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

zjane

Hi everyone much thanks for your feedback.  I've decided to go with Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan @ Hinsdale hospital.  The surgery date is 6/27.  Only less than 2 weeks to go!  I better go get ready!

Thanks!

Ellenmn

Hi everyone much thanks for your feedback.  I've decided to go with Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan @ Hinsdale hospital.  The surgery date is 6/27.  Only less than 2 weeks to go!  I better go get ready!

Thanks!

Well I guess I'll be seeing you in a couple of weeks. We can rehab together.

Battyp

where is hinsdale hospital?

zjane

Hinsdale is about 20 minutes west from downtown chicago. 2 miles from my house.  I'm lucky to have such a good hospital and doctors so close to home.

lifeisgood

Just a note to all that are curious.
ZJANE's surgery went great.
She is recovering well.
They got the entire tumor out (Wiet and Kazan)
and were able to preserve her facial nerve expecting a full recovery!
I will see her tomorrow at the hospital.
She called me less than a day after her procedure and sounded GREAT!
Amazing.
Take care,
Mary
3.4cm AN surgically removed 3/04
by Dr. Wiet and Kazan at Hinsdale Hospital in Illinois.
Translab approach