Author Topic: Ear Surgeon and Neurosurgeon, who does what and should it matter?  (Read 5371 times)

zjane

Hi everyone, I'm in the process of figuring out where to go for Translab for my 2.1mm AN.  I have it narrowed down to two teams However their approaches are slightly different:

Team A:
Ear surgeon cuts me open
Neurosurgeon gets 90% of the AN out
Ear surgeon peels off AN from facial nerve then sews me up

Team B:
Ear surgeon cuts me open
Ear surgeon gets the Intracanel AN portion out
Neurosurgeons get the rest of the AN out, including the parts close to facial nerve
Ear sugeons sews me up

Which approach is more common?  Does it matter?  All I care about is to save my facial nerve, does it matter who gets to the AN next to my facial nerve?

Both teams have done around 1000 AN's with around 15 post radiation.  Team A has been doing it for 30 yrs. vs. Team B 20 yrs.

While visiting the teams, Team B spent way more time explaining the techinical details, which I appreciate.  But I trust Team A does the same technical things in the operating room.  Team A talked more about out comes and such, not a whole lot of technical stuff.

Any opinion is greatly appreciated and would be very very helpful with my decision making process.  Thanks!

Jane
right side AN found Nov 04 1.0x0.7
FSR Cabrini - Dr. Lederman 5 sessions Nov 05 1.4x1.0
Translab Hinsdale Hospital - Dr. Wiet / Dr. Kazan Jun 07 2.3x1.2 (CSF leak, lumbar drain)

2yr Post-Op MRI Apr 09 Clean

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Ear Surgeon and Neurosurgeon, who does what and should it matter?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 01:01:31 pm »
2 mm ? are you sure its not 2 cm! ... Trans-lab makes sence on a 2cm .. a 2mm it does not ....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

zjane

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 01:36:04 pm »
Sorry Joef, I meant 2 cm or 20mm.  I wish it was 2mm. :)
Translab Hinsdale Hospital - Dr. Wiet / Dr. Kazan Jun 07 2.3x1.2 (CSF leak, lumbar drain)

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 01:48:14 pm »
Personally ... just the fact its a "team" is good , they can help each other out and just because they report numbers and percentages to you.. once inside your head, they may change things because one has better experiance depending on what the tumor looks like ... team work is a good thing!! ..
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

zjane

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 01:56:45 pm »
Thanks Joef.

What do you think about the age difference and technical vs. emotional?

eugd

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 07:24:20 pm »
I would go with the younger team, the older team amy have declined clinical skills and complications that may be  ook have been 30 years ago are not ok today. thats why I would go with the other team,,,
Eugene- Age 32
2.15 cm mass on the right nerve removed via the retro on 12/20/06. D.C. from the House Ear Institute on 12/23/06. Dr. Freidman, & Dr. Shwartz. were the doctors. No post opt. vertigo, hearing loss  or facial nerves damage.  No major post opt headaches.

Obita

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 08:11:34 pm »
Hi Jane:

Do you have a "feeling" about one team more than the other?  You must trust your instinct and gut on this one and go with the team YOU want to do the surgery.  Both teams obviously have the experience an AN patient is looking for.  Did either team mention that they would back off if the AN was too involved with the facial nerve?  The remaining tumor could be radiated later if they had to stop to preserve your facial nerve.

I never thought to ask which surgeon took the tumor off the facial nerve.  I am pretty sure it was the neurosurgeon as he was always asking me to smile post-op.  Also, I know it took the neurotologist 5 hours to get to the AN because I have a high jugular bulb.  He had to go up and around it instead of straight through.  My total surgery time was 8.5 hours.

Good luck to you!!  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 08:24:35 pm »
I did not use a team approach and only had a nuerosurgeon.  But like Kathy said, trust your gut instinct.  You have to be confident in your decision as there is no second guessing.  Which team do you feel more comfortable with? How many AN's have then seen in the last 30 days? last year? how many facial parayslsis occurred? If they are pretty equal chose the one you feel most comfortable with.

Where are located?

Keep us posted on how you're doing!

Michelle

Shrnwldr

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 08:51:50 am »
I agree. No matter which team you request it is who you feel comfortable with and who you trust.  Who you think has more experience.  Good luck and please keep us posted. ~Sharon
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

zjane

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 04:36:56 pm »
Hi everyone much thanks for your feedback.  I've decided to go with Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan @ Hinsdale hospital.  The surgery date is 6/27.  Only less than 2 weeks to go!  I better go get ready!

Thanks!

cookiesecond

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 08:24:21 am »
You are in my thoughts and prayers.I'll be looking for a good report.
Take care,
Lynn