Author Topic: Location of AN ((lateral IAM)  (Read 2436 times)

Ag

Location of AN ((lateral IAM)
« on: June 12, 2007, 04:07:36 am »
Hi to all,

I've been diagnose an AN on my left ear, the size is 4x4mm. I am already having symptoms often of sudden hearing loss that tent to recover in few weeks...
My doctor said that because of the position of it is quite likely that any treatment I will take, specially surgery, will leed me to hearing loss.

I spoke with another doctor that does surgeries and he said to have it done as soon as possible as the more time it pass the worse. He also said that the possition of my AN is where all the AN grow, the normal place, and he said that i got a good chance to retain my hearing (70%) with the surgery.
I wonder if any of you have had this or where in the ear the AN tent to grow, I got a small picture of my AN that I could attach here but don't know how to do it...

If the position of the AN is in the lateral of the IAM is it a very unlucky location for it to start growing?.

Thanks to all,
ag

macintosh

Re: Location of AN ((lateral IAM)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 11:56:40 am »

Dear AG--

The size of your AN makes you a good candidate for radiosurgery, which has a high rate of hearing preservation and a lower rate of complications than surgery. If you tell us where you're located, maybe someone on the forum can give you a recommendation for a doctor near you.

Mac

targa72e

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 10:21:48 am »
Hi Ag,

Generally a small AN in the IAC is about the best condition as far as AN location, good outcomes in general. The exception is if it is very close to the Cochlea, then the chance of hearing preservation is lower. I have a small (5mm) an but it is right next to the Cochlea.

john
5mm x 5mm watching and waiting

Louzilla

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 09:38:44 pm »
Hi Ag - I'm not sure where exactly mine was but it was small like yours (4x8mm).  I was also told to get it done quick (diagnosed in Sept. surgery in Dec) if I wanted to save my hearing.  I had middle fossa and kept my hearing.  No real side effects.  I have about a 20% hearing loss post surgery but I still hear pretty well.  I was worth it for me.  I've had a complete recovery and feel great.  Here's my email if you want to get more in depth lou@emediareno.com.
Middle Fossa - 4mm x 8mm A.N. left side.
Dr. Jackler - Stanford Med. Center 12/06/06