Author Topic: was your balance after the op the same or better than before the operation?  (Read 7332 times)

claireb

I never get bored reading on this site - you are all so experienced and when I feel nervous about my mum's op, reading yours posts really calms me down - keep up the good work all!
My mum needs help to walk as she keeps bumping into the wall if unaided.  Climbing up and down the stairs she has to do it sideways with both hands on the railing.  She is due for her operation in two weeks to have her large AN pressing on her brain stem removed.  (Sorry if I keep repeating myself, just in case someone hasn't read my previous posts) I was wondering if her balance will be back to normal after her op or whether it will be worse for her.  If it will be the same or worse she will definetly need a walker.  funnily enough when she bends down to pick something she is fine, she doesn't fall over.  she is also fine if she is sitting down.  she never had an episode of vertigo so far (Thank you Lord!)  Did anyone of you experience worse balance prior to the operation?
thanks all
Claire

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Personally, my balance was the same post-op as it was before the surgery, but I didn't have balance problems to begin with.  So I don't know how much help that is to you!

For many people with severe balance problems before surgery, it does get better.  Once the nerve is severed, the other side starts to compensate more.  Make sure your mother sees a physical therapist before she leaves the hospital.  A PT can give her some vestibular and balance exercises to help retrain her body and brain.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Hi Claire,

I agree with Katie wholeheartedly regarding vestibular rehab to get your mother on the road to better balance.  It's no fun, but the more you follow your exercises the therapists gives to do at home the quicker you can regain your balance and lose the nauseous feelings that come from moving around while upright. 

My balance was giving me problems for years, but was told because of my age, early forties, we start to lose our balance as we age!!!???  I started a yoga class then and it really helped for those years before surgery.  Just before surgery my balance was becoming more unstable and weaker.  After surgery (whispering now) upon opening my eyes and lifting my head it was a nightmare.  I was more unbalanced than before, BUT the doctors got me started right away with head movements in the hospital to stablize my head/eye coordination so I was able to stand and walk with assistance before being released.  It wasn't until vestibular rehab that I began to see marked improvments with balance and coordination.  First time for everything, opening eyes after surgery, starting exercises, etc. is ALWAYS difficult and very easy to talk oneself out of getting up and doing! 

In my yoga class I teach I will always have my students do two or three tries of a posture knowing the first time is difficult, second time they begin to relax and third times a charm!  I had great support during my recovery time from my husband and I cannot stress this more for the cargiver to offer to the patient. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Boppie

There is a period of time when the balance needs to adjust.  Very young people have a lot of leg and ankle strength and I believe this strength helps for quick recovery.  You say your Mum has techniques for stairs and such.  She is compensating and keeping her legs and heart in shape.  If you can get some physical therapy going at home or at a facility she will build up the leg strength and get moving along.  Many patients with tumors on the brain stem use a walker immediately post op, but this is not permanent.  I think it is a good idea to use some sort of walking aid even if it is a light weight wood chair to scoot along.

By a few weeks post op your Mum will be fine.  You should keep encouraging her with good meals, social contact, and patient understanding about the hearing problems.  Within a month or two of her surgery she can be back to a regular routine.

We are all lucky to be living in a time when patients are up and out of bed as quickly as possible to keep the body toned and functioning.  I am 65.  If you would like to email privately, I am available.  Please see my profile.  I will keep your Mum in my thoughts. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 11:37:20 am by Boppie »

TP

I noticed about 3 or 4 months prior to my diagnosis that during my karate I was losing my balance but of course I was thinking it had to do with me not being strong enough to do my taekwondo form, never would have thought in a million years I had a brain tumor. Once I learned I had the AN a lot of things I was experiencing (balance, hearing loss, facial twitches, head aches) started to make sense.

After my AN was removed (on my brainstem) the hospital made me use a walker. I didn't want too but they said I had too. By the 3rd day I was using it and did my first walk down the hall. By the 4th day I was walking thru the hall with a physical therapist and doing much better. By the time I got home on the 5th day from my AN being removed, I never really needed any assistance in walking. I had stairs in my house and even though I didn't walk them a lot when I got home from the hospital I believe they helped me gain my strength back quickly.

After my sugery my balance problems basically went away. I may once in a while lose my balance and I find I don't climb ladders like I use too but that is ok by me.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Shrnwldr

I am 57 years old...soon to be 58.  I  have had vertigo and balance issues for about 10-15 years.  The last 5 years it was increasing. In the last year I probably fell approximately 5-6 times.  After surgery I seem to better balance although I am only about 4 weeks out from surgery.  I find that if I overdo it I get dizzy and exhausted.  I know that this will go away.  I always do the exercises the physical therpists showed me in the hospital atleast once a day.  When I first came out of the hospital I used a walker for about 1 day. Around the house the don't use any aids, but when I go for walks outside I have my cane.... it is becoming my security blanket.   
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

Static

Prior to my surgery I had no balance issues, only some hearing loss.  The AN was pressing on my brain stem so surgery was moved along soon after discovery of the AN.  After surgery, I couldn't stand straight without falling over.  I didn't want to use a walker but it was the easiest and safest way for me to get around.  Once I was home, I could grab from wall to wall in the smaller places and after about a week, was without the walker.  Ironically, now that I am on my own, it's easier for me to walk on my own, or if I hold someone, but if say my husband tries to hold onto me, it throws me off (I need to be in control of myself, someone else holding me throws me off).  Anyway, the physical therapy for balance does help, and you need to do the exercises in between the sessions as well.  After about 8 weeks tho, the therapy didn't help me any more (that's just my personal experience) and it was more of a time heals sort of thing.  Good luck to your Mom, and it's good that you are thinking ahead.  I never imagined that I'd be using a walker after my surgery because I had no balance problems prior to the surgery.  Never say never!
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Obita

Hi claireb:

My balance was much better after surgery.  I had surgery early on a Thursday and by Friday night I was walking the halls, tapping the railings as I walked.  Sunday morning, I walked to the parking ramp.  No walker, no cane.  Just tapping the railings through the tunnel etc....Once I was home, I remember walking with my arms out slightly and touching the doorframes, counters for security.  A week after I got home, I went to a huge furniture store and couldn't wait to get out of there.  My balance was fine but I was so overwhelmed by the crowd and noise I wanted to run out of there. 

Good luck to your Mum and you.  Once the vestibular nerve is gone, she should be much better in time.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Boppie

I am 65, had translab at 63.  Pre op I'd had transitory feelings of floating, dizziness, and frequent motion sickness; unless I got out of the car every 20 minutes I'd have full blown illness from motion.  Stairs were especially scary when looking down from the top step.  I used two hands on the children's rail in my son's house to walk up and down.  I had two falls which I attributed to clumsiness. 

Post op I experience occasional wobbles, but not the floating and dizziness of the past.  I have compensated extremely well and have little fear of falling.  I feel more able to exercise and move about safely.  I garden, drive, shop, lift heavy things, and do everything I want to do.  Overall, I have more thoughts about SSD but not about balance.

Post translab good balance will be achieved by strength in the ankles, the legs, vision, and posture.  Once your mother gets up and about and learns to compensate, she will possibly be more stable than her pre op days.     

linny

• still problems, 3yrs later
I WAS WORSE RIGHT AFTER SURGERY GRADUALLY IT GOT BETTER BUT I HAVE TO BE CAREFUL NOT TO TURN TO FAST OR PICK UP SOMETHING TO HEAVY. I HAVE FELL SEVERAL TIMES.   I GUESS IT JUST TAKES TIME AND I BELIEVE THE OLDER YOU OUR THE LONGER IT TAKES I AM 55YRS OLD.  BUT GOOD LUCK USE A CANE OR I USUALLY TOUCH THE WALL OR SOMETHING JUST SO I FEEL GROUNDED I GUESS. ???
Linda-2yr post AN 3-cm left side.  OHSU hospital , slow recovery for me. But then I had to have 2 surgeries with complications swelling of brain,

Charlotte Lady

Re: was your balance after the op the same or better than before the operation?
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 12:05:34 pm »
Yesterday was my six week anniversary for surgery.  Hooray.  At this moment in time, my balance has recovered an awful lot.  It's where it was when I was diagnosed.  That's a whole lot better than right before the surgery.  When I was diagnosed, I just took the occasional stagger step to catch my footing.  By the time surgery rolled around (two months later), I was very off balance.  I never felt off balance or dizzy but any change in motion had an unexpected reaction.
My balance is not perfect but it sure is better. 

donna 
1.5 cm AN removed 9/25/07.