Author Topic: CT scan or MRI?  (Read 10657 times)

TJ1855

CT scan or MRI?
« on: June 04, 2007, 07:58:17 pm »
I may be a little premature in writing this as I only have been diagnosed via symptoms and audiogram tests.  My ENT sent me for a CT scan due to my defibrilator preventing me from getting a MRI.  Question is...Can a CT scan catch an AN 100%?  Symptoms are gradual left hearing loss, bad tinnitus, and 2 severe occurances of vertigo/sweating/nausea.  CT scan was without contrast.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: CT scan or MRI?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 08:09:19 pm »
Hi TJ and welcome.  CT scans really aren't that great for diagnosing AN's as an MRI with contrast is the test of choice... given you have other issues to contend, please check with your referring physician.

Again, welcome.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 08:14:49 pm »
My understanding is that you really need an MRI with contrast to definitively diagnose an AN.  Even MRIs without the contrast can miss them, or you might not see the entire AN.  That being said, a CT can possibly catch the AN; but a negative CT might be a false negative.  I don't know what the other options are for someone with a defibrillator.  Can you cardiologist give a recommendation for how to approach these tests?

I hope you can get answers!  Good luck!

Katie

P.S.  Caveat - I am not a doctor!!   ;D
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Windsong

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 08:49:06 pm »
didn"t catch mine ..... on the CT (s)....

I think an mri with contrast is the best for a diagnosis....
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 11:00:59 pm by Windsong »

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 12:31:44 am »
I had a CT scan and my doctor said, quote You don't have a tumor endquote. But I doubt he was even looking for an AN anyway.  Then more symptoms appeared and I finally got my MRI (yes, with contrast) and there it was in all it's glory.

Good luck,

Sue in Vancouver WA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Betsy

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 07:25:31 am »
Same here.  The CT showed nothing (except my brain, that is).  And the MRI didn't show anything until after the dye was injected.  This can't be the first time someone with a defibrillator needed a MRI...keep asking your doctors until they come up with a solution.  Let us know how it works out.

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 02:41:01 pm »
TJ: My tumor showed on the CT (with contrast) but it was rather large. I could even pick it up on those films.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

TJ1855

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 04:51:48 pm »
Well, still waiting on CT scan results.  Sometimes it's like pulling teeth to get results.  I did talk to my cardiologist today and he say's under no circustances can I get an MRI.  Period........  Thanks for all of your replies.  From what you all are saying, I don't feel confident that CT scans (high resolution ), WITHOUT CONTRAST, is going to be able to see an acoustic neuroma.  I'll let you know when I get my results.

Thanks!!

Windsong

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 09:35:26 pm »
Good luck on the ct scan .. and am wondering why your cardiologist says no mri? do you have an implant in the heart? just curious....

TJ1855

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 06:25:14 am »
Good luck on the ct scan .. and am wondering why your cardiologist says no mri? do you have an implant in the heart? just curious....
Yes, I have a pacemaker.  Absolutely no MRI allowed!

Results came back from CT scan.  No AN detected.  Should I ask for a second CT scan, this time with contrast??

okiesandy

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 08:52:12 am »
TJ,

Maybe I can clear some of this up for you.

When I woke up with out balance my husband took me to the EM. They did a CT to see if I had a stroke. Nothing, absolutly nothing showed up.

A week later a MRI showed Ivan the Terrible.

Later when I was treated with CK a MRI with contrast and a CT with contrast done via cysternogram (spinal injection) lit the tumor up like a christmas tree. Twice as bright as with the MRI. It is my doctors opinion that the CK be done with cysternogram. Later I may have to have a CI and that will only be able to have CT and not MRI.....

Sometimes we have to dig out information that will help us and not listen to a particular doctor. I was told just this week by one of my doctors that I don't especially care for and who has been very smug in his attitude paid me the highest complement by telling a Resident that I am in tune with my body and have done my research. All he has to do is tell me something and I am on it. He also said I am the only patient he allows to question his treatment. Then he laughed and said I had caused him many sleepless nights looking things up that I had researched. As a last remark he told the Resident that there are some patients that we should learn to listen to because they seemed to be more attuned to what was going on. Dah!!!!Believe me, coming from Dr. Ego that is high praise.

If you would like to know the scoop from the doctors point of view about CT and MRI get on the Cyberknife Patient Support site and ask Dr. Medbery about the diagnosis of AN with CT vs MRI. I believe he can help you get a definitive diagnosis.

Much luck,

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

TJ1855

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 05:31:33 am »
Thanks Oakiesandy - I have a follow-up with my ENT on Tuesday.  I plan on asking him about a CT scan with contrast, and possibly doing an auditory brainstem respose test.  I agree with you about being in tune with your body.  Two years ago, at the age of 39 I was diagnosed with left heart failure.  After going through 2 cardiac cath's, and having a Pacemaker put in, I've become much more "involved" and in tune with my body/healthcare.  I've already received some input from the doc's on the cyberknife board.  Very informative.

Thanks,

TJ1855

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 09:03:45 am »
Had follow up with ENT.  All he could say was that he didn't see anything from non-contrast CT scan.  He was ready to write off my symptoms and said may be a virus.  I had to bring up the possibility of doing an ABR test.  He seemed a little startled, but said that is the best thing to do.  Come to find out that his specialty is neck/throat surgery.  He said that if I needed to have my thyroid taken out, he would be more then happy to do it!  Long story short, I ended up getting a refferal to Dr. Daspit.  He is a neurotologist at Barrows Neurology Institute here in Phoenix. Irony of it is that he is one of the two doctors (Dr. Spetzler was the second) who removed my mothers AN 10 years ago!

johnsli

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 01:23:27 pm »
I agree with Bruce.  I had an MRI, and I received a copy of the films.  I could see the mass before the dye, because I was looking for it and new where to look.  The dye just lit it up like a Christmas tree.  You can see the mass before the dye.  Hopefully, they will get you taken care of.  Best of luck

LOL
Laura

TJ1855

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 03:50:37 pm »
Had my ABR test today.  Results were "highly abnormal".  She showed me the graphs and even I could tell it was abnormal.  They didn't even look close to the same.  Going to see a neurotologist on Thursday.  Wish me luck!!