Author Topic: A place to vent  (Read 82736 times)

Jill Marie

Re: A place to vent
« Reply #315 on: November 08, 2007, 12:48:17 am »
Margaret,  I understand your being worried about your doctor visit tomorrow, after what you have been through like we all have been through, we tend to over worry.  I'm not going to tell you everything will be fine because I don't know that for sure, but chances are the MRI won't show anything new.  Although physically you will be on your own tomorrow, emotionally we are here for you, thinking about you through out the day and looking forward to hearing that all is fine.  If not we are here for you as well.  I 'm betting that for Thanksgiving this year you will be Thankful that the doctor said everything is fine.  Take Care, Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

marg

« Reply #316 on: November 08, 2007, 01:38:50 am »
Phyl, Hillary, TP , Jill Marie and all of you who have sent support my way in the last  2  days .... A BIG Thank you all  SOOOO  much !  My husband was able to be with me after all .  I told him how I felt this morning and he told me that he would do whatever he could to be there for me.   I found out later he wrote a letter to his mothers doctor (about what she has been doing ) and took it over there and gave it to the nurse just before his mom's appointment.  He told his sister if their mom's appointment went  too long ( hers was at 2:45 and mine was at 3:30 - about a mile apart ) he was leaving and she could finish handling  mom's appointment  without him  so he could get to my appointment  to be there for me ... I can't tell you the relief I felt when I drove up to my neurosurgeon's office and there he was standing outside waiting for me.  My 'white knight' is back up on his horse   :) .

Jill you were right,  my MRI was clear and the doctor said I was doing great ....as a matter of fact he said my facial paralysis was recovering  way above average and that made his day.. I have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving..... my positive recovery, my husband putting me first in a time I especially needed him ( and his sister supporting that)... and my AN family.  I love you all very much -  there couldn't be a better group of people!
Margaret
P.S  I am also thankful  that they put my mother-in-law on anti-anxiety drugs  on a daily basis .... I love her and before she started acting out she was a wonderful person ...and one of my best friends.   I am hoping to see at least a bit of 'my friend' again so I can enjoy being with her.
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

kate

• Crooked Face Smiling Inside
    • Acoustic Neuroma Coping Support in Los Angeles
« Reply #317 on: November 16, 2007, 11:03:22 pm »
I am an old time ANer, post surgery since 2000, so I only check in here once in a while. I read the first four pages or so of this thread. It is SO refreshing to see that someone started a thread on A Place to Vent. In the old days when I was a newbie and very active on the forum, there was a really good and healthy mix of positive cheery attitudes, and venting and whining types of posts. It seemed to me like a healthy balance.

When I first came back into the forum a few months ago (or was it a year ago?) I noticed that things did seem sugar coated. I had the sense that people were in general putting on happy faces (no pun intended, since I am one with facial paralysis!) or being very easily cheered up by responses from others when they did mention feeling bad. So I am happy to see now that people have been venting here. Some of the humor in the venting is really great too.

In addition to being an ANer, I worked in the counseling profession for twenty years and am now in private practice. I had written an article for people undergoing major life changes (such as brain tumors, job loss, relationship ending) and one of the points I make in it is that we need to be heard, and need a place to express ourselves. I also mention in the article being patient with loved ones who say the wrong things, because they don't know what to do sometimes except to try to cheer us up. People might say things like "when one door closes it opens up another one", which usually does turn out to be true in life, but when said at the wrong time in someone's healing/grieving over their lost good health, it can sound trite and unkind.

Well, enough to my bandwagon here. So here's to a place for venting!  Kate
Surgery 5-1-2000,  3.9cm, Huntington Memorial Hospital, Pasadena, California. 
Gold weight first couple of years.
Palbebral eyelid spring 2004 by Dr. Robert Levine "saved my life."
 I  have been enjoying life a lot, even with a crooked face and one sided hearing.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #318 on: November 17, 2007, 07:11:15 am »
Hi Kate - glad to see your post!!   You helped me so much with questions I had re:  facial paralysis a while back.   I'm having surgery 11/20 with a Dr. Patrick Byrne at Johns Hopkins in Maryland.   He deals with alot of facial paralysis patients & is one of a handful of doctors (in the world) who is doing a new procedure called Temporalis Tendon Transfer(TTT).   I'm going to have a 'Mona Lisa' smile, & it will lift the droop & open up the nasal sinus that's paralysed.   Obviously movement never came back to my face, but I'm glad I waited because this new surgery is almost a miracle as far as I'm concerned.   Well,  take care Kate,  always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

kate

• Crooked Face Smiling Inside
    • Acoustic Neuroma Coping Support in Los Angeles
« Reply #319 on: November 17, 2007, 06:04:59 pm »
Nancy,  Thank you for remembering me, it has been a long time since I have visited the forum. Best to you about your upcoming surgery. I am interested in seeing how it goes.  Be well.  Kate
Surgery 5-1-2000,  3.9cm, Huntington Memorial Hospital, Pasadena, California. 
Gold weight first couple of years.
Palbebral eyelid spring 2004 by Dr. Robert Levine "saved my life."
 I  have been enjoying life a lot, even with a crooked face and one sided hearing.

TP

« Reply #320 on: November 18, 2007, 07:18:30 pm »
NancyAnn, my prayers are with you on your upcoming surgery. I know you are excited and we are too. We want to hear all the details and pray that your recovery is successful and painless! GOD bless you!!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

er

« Reply #321 on: November 18, 2007, 08:35:33 pm »
Hello NancyAnn
good for you!!!! :) I'm glad to hear that you are happy!  :) I hope this works my prayers are with you..
I was talking to some friends about this forum. I Thank God that I have found this place because it really has help me 

marg

« Reply #322 on: November 18, 2007, 11:37:22 pm »
Nancy,  you will be in my prayers for your surgery on the 20th.  I am so glad there is a new procedure that will help you.  Can't wait to hear from you post-surgery. 
Margaret
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

lori67

« Reply #323 on: November 19, 2007, 01:17:39 pm »
Nancy - good luck on your surgery!  You will be your own priceless work of art!   ;D
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #324 on: November 19, 2007, 02:17:16 pm »
Hugs Nancy!

Prayers are being said for you.

Be sure to have someone update us

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #325 on: November 19, 2007, 06:03:35 pm »
Good Luck on your surgery Nancyann! New surgical techniques are being updated at lightspeed--it's just incredible! My husband just had lumbar disc surgery as an outpatient! The last time he did his back in 13 years ago they wanted to fuse the vertabrae and stick him in the hospital for a week. Boy is he glad he waited.

Please update us on your outcome and recovery so others can become aware of this new technique and maybe aquire some hope for a new form of treatment. Best of luck to Ya!!!!!!

Capt Deb

"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Raydean

« Reply #326 on: November 19, 2007, 06:35:38 pm »
Hi Nancyann

I am so excited for you with all of the possibilities that this new surgery brings.  But I also want you to know how beautiful you are inside and out.  Know that your beauty shines thru in every post
Each one of us will be there with you in spirit  tomorrow.

Hugs and Love
Raydean
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 06:47:45 pm by Raydean »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

yoga52smh

« Reply #327 on: November 19, 2007, 06:40:26 pm »

Good luck to you Nancyann.  You are in my prayers. Can't wait to hear the good news.  I always enjoy your posts.  Best wishes always,

Sue
  :D

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #328 on: November 19, 2007, 06:43:49 pm »
Nancyann,

Best wishes for a quick recovery and something to smile about. I'll be thinking and praying for you on the 20th.

Janet
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #329 on: November 19, 2007, 06:50:20 pm »
We're all fightin fer ya down under Nancy

I'm sure it will all go well.

be very interested in the procedure details after yer all fixed.

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz