Author Topic: What do I ask the ENT at the first appointment?  (Read 4729 times)

HCSTARWIND

• attitude is 90%
Re: What do I ask the ENT at the first appointment?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 05:36:03 pm »
Hi CES- sorry you were unable to make your app't to the Dr. We also got slammed with snow . I live in Maine and I am also 57 years old and a RN. Keep in touch and stay positive. Have a wonderful Christmas. Helen
Dx, AN left IAC, 3x9x2x3mm. Now 5x5mm , Nov. 07. Watch and wait for now.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 08:21:50 pm »
Appointment #1
For the first appointment you will want to have done

* An audiogram (with ear pressure test) by the audiologist
* An MRI done first without contrast and also with contrast (done in the second half)
* CAT Scans are not as accurate

Appointment #2
“If� you have an AN tumor then you will be called in for a follow up appointment. At that point ask for a list of recommended neurotologists and neurosurgeons. You could also speak to a neurologist - but really a “neurotologist� will be more on the ball as far as Acoustic Neuromas go.

“Ifâ€? you have an AN tumor …post back with us and we can give you more information (hopefully not bombard you …)  Personally I am praying that you don’t have one … but know if you do you will be very much welcomed here on the forum… There are many supportive people here… with a wealth of experience.

Keep moving forward

4 :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 08:31:28 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

ces

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 08:17:27 am »
Thanks all!

I'm not letting myself get too worried yet - doesn't make sense. Which is not to say that I haven't thought about it - a lot. Oh well.

Thank you for the advice of what I'll need to ask for and about at the appointment.

I've had the audiogram - with the pressure test. I did not get a copy of that but will ask for it at the ENT appointment. The audiologist is the one who mentioned that I would need an MRI, along with the words, benign tumor. Did some googling and found this forum. I'll see the ENT this Thursday, weather permitting.

Again - I've read many of the posts here - and the support you give to others is wonderful.

Thank you,
Colleen

ces

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 09:50:02 am »
Me again...
Saw the ENT this morning - got a copy of my hearing test - scheduled the MRI for Tuesday morning. The doctor was very low key, didn't even say acoustic neuroma until I asked.
I'll keep you posted and thank you again for your help.
Colleen

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 10:00:44 am »
My thoughts will be with you Tuesday.

Hang in there,

4 :)
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

candtlaw

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2007, 12:43:57 pm »
I'll be thinking of you... keeping you in my prayers. Try not to stress...............
Cyndi
post CK for AN 1cm 04/30/07

Loving my life today :)