Author Topic: Surgery to Remove AN After Abdominal Surgery  (Read 3030 times)

letranger

Surgery to Remove AN After Abdominal Surgery
« on: May 22, 2007, 07:52:54 pm »
I was diagnosed with an AN about two years ago. The doctor originally suggested that we watch and wait; but the turmor has grown in the past year (currently, it's 0.6 x 0.9 x 0.5 cm) and he now recommends surgery.  I'd planned to have the surgery earlier this month.  Unfortunately, I was also recently diagnosed with an inflammatory bowel disease and had to have surgery to remove my colon in April.  I'm now in the process of trying to reschedule my brain surgery. 

At first, I wanted to have the brain surgery as soon as possible because I've accepted a one-year job in another state that will begin in mid-September and was hoping to be recovered before I start. Since the position lasts only for a year, I can't afford to take several weeks off during that time to have the surgery after I start.  Although I've been cleared by my colorectal surgeon to have brain surgery in mid-July, I'm now concerned that I might not be fully recovered from the operation -- particularly coming on the heels of abominal surgery -- by the time my new job starts.  The new job will not require any physical activity but will be mentally taxing and probably involve long hours.  I'd be very grateful for any thoughts that anyone might have.  Thanks. 

Boppie

Re: Surgery to Remove AN After Abdominal Surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 08:28:22 pm »
Why not wait and watch for another year?  Your tumor is not large.  Seek the best advice you can get from an AN neurosurgeon.  Don't forget that radiation might be an avenue for you.  Perhaps you would make a make the AN recovery possible by Christmas 2007.

I have a brother who had lower colon surgery w ostomy 10 years ago for chronic IBD and his recovery is fine but enough to deal with post op that I am sure he wanted to enjoy freedom for a while.  My brother is very productive and very active today.

Lainie181818

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 08:35:16 pm »
I agree with Boppie,
I couldn't imagine what it would be like recovering from 2 surgeries at the same time. AN recovery is long and takes everything out of you, physically and mentally. I returned to work 2 months after AN surgery, [ i run a cooking school for kids ] It was way too soon and I would crawl into bed as soon as I got home. I think it takes a good 6 months to start to feel human again. That is just my take on it.
Good Luck
Lainie

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 08:46:42 pm »
Recovery from AN surgery can be as little as 6 weeks and as much as - well, a long time. Depends whether you have any complications.

It also depends on what type of surgery you have.

Complications can range from nothing to

headaches
facial paralysis
dry eye
vertigo
nausea

Most people on this forum have had at least one of the above. I have had constant headaches (sometimes debilitating) for 4.5 years now (since surgery).

Also, surgery doesn't always mean complete removal either. Once again, there are a number of posters that have re-growth (me included).

Boppie is on the money. your growth is still small and I would consider radiation as an option. Appears to have less side effects and recovery is quicker however, not always suitable for everyone.

get another opinion for both surgery and radiation. if you are not suffering anything at the moment then i would continue to watch and wait, which is what I am doing and my growth is a bit bigger than yours.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz