Author Topic: What will I need at home right after the surgery?  (Read 7974 times)

Becky

What will I need at home right after the surgery?
« on: March 01, 2005, 06:12:24 am »
Feel free to add to this list as well:

1.  Someone to drive you (no driving).

2.  Help with groceries (no lifting more than 5 pounds).
I stocked up on as much as I could ahead of time, to make it easier afterwards.

3.  Help with house work such as pushing a vacuum, pushing a mower (not too much exertion)

4.  Vestibular therapy (VNA/Visiting Nurse A**ociation if you cannot get to a facility).
It helps to have someone work with you on exercises to strengthen visual focus and balance.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 10:51:40 am by Becky »

Pembo

Re: What will I need at home right after the surgery?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 02:23:47 pm »
I needed a shower chair. A friend loaned us one but the therapists at the hospital said an outdoor plastic one would work just fine.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

lifeisgood

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 10:41:06 pm »
Patience, a positive attitude, and the assurance that "this too shall pass".
  :)
3.4cm AN surgically removed 3/04
by Dr. Wiet and Kazan at Hinsdale Hospital in Illinois.
Translab approach

Becky

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 05:34:54 am »
For those with post-op facial paralysis, a facial massager is great, for abour $10.

In surgery, very often one has their head turned/neck twisted for 10 hours (or whatever the case may be).  A pillow shaped for the neck can be very helpful (memory foam pillow).

Vitamins.  Check with your doctor, but the B vitamins are great for healing nerves.  I think a good multivitamin can't hurt.

Protein for healing tissue.  Again, check with your doctor, but make sure you are getting sufficient protein to aid in healing after surgery.

eye drops, eye ointment, and/or moisture patch (ask your doctor).

You may want prepare meals ahead of time and store in freezer containers. Anything you can do ahead of time will be helpful in the weeks right after surgery.

sonshine

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 10:45:49 pm »
Amen!, I,  2nd what lifeisgood comment says!

Sonshine

cookiesecond

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 11:22:25 pm »
I stocked up on groceries. After surgery I ate lots of soup and popcicles.I bought a hand held shower head and I used a plastic chair in the shower.I needed lots of lip balm as my lips stayed dry.I am only 1 month post op so I am still recovering but I can tell you good friends and family will be precious to you during this time!
you are in my prayers,
Lynn

stein78

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 08:30:46 pm »
Another vote for the plastic chair in the shower and a detachable shower head.  My wife helped me shower for the first two weeks.  Other than that, sounds like you got it covered.  Also, what lifeisgood said is on the money!
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

lmurray69

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 10:38:48 pm »
hope you are doing ok I too am looking for a surgeon to help get ride of this ana ,,hope I can have as many blessings as you...God Bless
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

littlemissrory

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 11:29:40 pm »
Lifeisgood has it right!  Other things that helped...

Shower chair (I used the garden kind)
Heating pad (for shoulders and neck)
Pillows...lots (they said to keep my head elevated 25%?? after surgery)
Soup  (definitely helps the belly calm)
Soft bubble gum (helps to clear the ears/head...I waited a week before chewing it, has to be soft)

Best of luck to you.  I am forever grateful to my surgeon...I feel great and wish the same for you.

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 10:43:36 pm »
Yes, I have eatten more soup since surgery than in my adult life!  Popsicles too...and glad to know i'm not the only one suffering from dry lips.  Seems to be worse on an side. 

Def. need a postive attitude and lots of laughter...hard to do sometimes but does help to relieve tension~
!

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 10:54:31 pm »
eye drops..lacrilube was reccomended but not the only option and refresh in the individual vials to keep your eye lubricated on the an side.  your tear ducts can be affected and if your eye drys out or you rub it too much you can damage your cornea.

wanderer

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 12:31:36 am »
Straws,

I also had blood sugar problems from the steroids.  So lots of sugary food.  Sometimes I would need a soda and need it right then.

Fudge pops were good.

Mashed potatoes were a good food as well.

my mouth did want to open very far.

tgentile

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2005, 08:35:43 am »
Make sure you have lots of DVDs, books, and magazines available. This will make the time pass quickly and get you mind on other things.

SKT

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2005, 08:50:08 am »
I'd say what you need most is your closest friends and family around.  Those whom you are comfortable hanging out with in your pj's and whom you can chat to endlessly to help pass the time - and most importantly so that they can cook and clean for you!  You may find that as soon as you get home you feel very elated, because you are just so excited that the surgery is over, so you will probably want friends and family to share the joy with.  You may then feel a little depressed in the couple of weeks that follow - just sort of down, you can't explain it.  In hindsight I feel that it's just the toll that the surgery takes on your body.So it's also a good idea not to be alone during this period

Goodluck! Just remember, all the discomfort and any pain (minimal) will be over before you know it.

Boppie

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2005, 08:06:21 pm »
Refills on plain cool water. Break the seals when you're in an awake mood.

Progresso makes great hearty soups that go down very well. 

Have a stack of clean pillow cases nearby.

Mildly scented skin lotion.  Anesthetic and steriods do a trick with sweat.

You'll need soft nite lights.

Can't say enough for warm showers and eye lubricant.

Tell your closest friends and family how to get in without making you come to the door.

If you are alone, have the phone near your bed/lounger. 

« Last Edit: December 25, 2005, 08:10:33 pm by Boppie »